Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to choose a good solar installer

• 04-06-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

well we've decided that solar tubes are the way foward, but can't decide on an installer. All the prices seem pretty similar....

Please could any of you who've had this done drop me a quick PM with any experiences, positive or negative ? or would you recommend the company that installed yours ?

Thanks

We're in Clare, if that helps geographically

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

I know you asked for PM's about specific installers but some of the questions I'd ask would be:
    • Are they properly insured?
    • Are they registered with the SEI? If they're not on the Phase II installers list (http://www.sei.ie/getFile.asp?FC_ID=3722&docID=760), then you will not have a valid installer number to be able to fill in the grant application form. No installer number = no grant.
    • Did they install a system for someone you know? Is that person happy with it? This is usually the best form of recommendation as it's independent. After that, can the installer provide references from past customers?
    • Be informed yourself. There's a lot of info out there but have a look at the SEI website for a Solar Buyers Guide as a starting point. http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=762&docID=-1
    • Are they tailoring a package to suit your needs or do they have one system that they install for everyone regardless?
    • Are you confident that they know what they're talking about? Can they explain to you how the system works and why it's suitable for your hot water usage pattern?
    • What warranty and after sales service are being provided?
    • What's included in the quote: Tubes or plates, Cylinder size, all pipework etc.?
    • Can they explain to you what will happen if the system is producing too much heat? May well be something to consider if your house happens to be empty for two weeks during the summer with no hot water being drawn off from the cylinder...

There are plenty more questions that you could ask but that's probably enough for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

All of Micklimks points are valid and good points.
    What i can add to that for you is that, - Our company have a database of Installers that are based throughout the country, they dont work for us, but we use them as referrals to customers of ours that need an Installer, the only was they get on our list is when we personally know of their work, and/or we are satisfied with their expierence in the field, because we want them to do installations of our product correctly!

So, essentially, if you can pm me what area of clare you are in i can give you a name or 2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Thanks for the replies - very helpful and given me a list of sensible questions to ask.
    Greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

MickLimk wrote: »
    I know you asked for PM's about specific installers but some of the questions I'd ask would be:
    • Are they properly insured?
    • Are they registered with the SEI? If they're not on the Phase II installers list (http://www.sei.ie/getFile.asp?FC_ID=3722&docID=760), then you will not have a valid installer number to be able to fill in the grant application form. No installer number = no grant.
    • Did they install a system for someone you know? Is that person happy with it? This is usually the best form of recommendation as it's independent. After that, can the installer provide references from past customers?
    • Be informed yourself. There's a lot of info out there but have a look at the SEI website for a Solar Buyers Guide as a starting point. http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=762&docID=-1
    • Are they tailoring a package to suit your needs or do they have one system that they install for everyone regardless?
    • Are you confident that they know what they're talking about? Can they explain to you how the system works and why it's suitable for your hot water usage pattern?
    • What warranty and after sales service are being provided?
    • What's included in the quote: Tubes or plates, Cylinder size, all pipework etc.?
    • Can they explain to you what will happen if the system is producing too much heat? May well be something to consider if your house happens to be empty for two weeks during the summer with no hot water being drawn off from the cylinder...

There are plenty more questions that you could ask but that's probably enough for now...

excellent post !

Advertisement