Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Deaths that go un-reported.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Slig wrote: »
    luckily I was able to stop but I got out and gave the little fcuker a kick that lifted him off the ground.

Next time kick the owner, not the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Victor wrote: »

The you see eall the dead tyres on the side of the road - tehy try to make it across during the night, but they never make it.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

A Friend of mine did serious damage to the front of his fiesta one night coming home from work.
    (We were bartenders at the time). The dog ran out in front of him and he didn't have time to react so the poor doggy got splappedededededed....

I've hit a bird or 2 in my time but the stupidest thing I've done with regards to road kill is serve to TRY and get 2 rats on the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Horses FTW-
    carhorse6oy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

In all my years driving through the phoenix park and never seeing an animal related accident, I came across the aftermath of a car vs Reindeer collision a couple of weeks ago, car was in $hite, went fully over and came to rest on top of the reindeer. Driver and passanger were fine, just white as ghosts as you'd expect.

TBH I amazed I don't see more of it in the Park.

I have to admit to swerving a little trying to get the odd rat on the way to work some mornings:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

On my GN125 the front wheel hit a badger, it then bounced up and hit my foot. Lucky not to come off the bike and my foot was killing me!

Only a few weeks ago I hit my first bird on my Fazer 600. Just saw a quick dash of black and felt a thud on the front windshield. Looked in my rear view and a few seconds later feathers and a bird just dropped from the sky. Presumably very dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too early for cat pics?
    free_cat.jpg

Joking aside, I've never killed anything bigger than flies and maybe an odd mouse scurrying across the road at night. A friend hit a deer and had to kill it with his tyre iron before calling the cops, it was in a bad state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Was driving a van once and saw a little bird fly out of the hedge in front. Thought he had made it but was walking around the front of the van later and through the diamond shaped grill there was a little birds head sticking out, was a rental so I just left it there!

Closest I've come recently was a little kitten ran onto the road from between two cars, had the gf in the car at the time so HAD to do a little swerve to avoid it but was pretty close. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hit a junkie once, does that count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

KTRIC wrote: »
    Hit a junkie once, does that count ?

only if you killed it, the thread specifys ROAD DEATHS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

micmclo wrote: »
    Once hit by a bird while on a motorbike.
    It’s like getting a punch in the chest from Mike Tyson. Had to pull over for a few minutes to recover as I was badly winded and could barely breathe.

Been there done that, I have hit and killed 2 badgers (on the bike as well) I have hit 2 Labrador dogs with my car, 1st time dented the wing, 2nd time had to replace the front bumper, headlight, grille and bonet. The dogs were fine. OP said how some people treat their pets like family, IMO if that were the case the dogs would not have been on the road in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Slig wrote: »
    only if you killed it, t

well not the first time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Killed two really beautiful ducks leaving work one night. We have a big lake and they were outside on the road having a snooze by the ditch in the middle of a trough.

Hit them before I saw them, first fella only flew as high as the bumper, dead straight away. Second one hit the top of the windscreen and broke his wing. Took him to the vet but wing was far too bad and had to be put down.

Other than them, maybe 2,500 flies a year. M50 speeds they liquefy as they hit your car.

Poor feckers.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

You are mad to be braking or swerving to avoid the dogs- what if you caused an accident to yourself or others? You have to put your own safety first. Again the dog shouldn;t be allowed roam on its own in the first place.

Dogs can escape.

Slow down....gives you time to break and safely swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

OP - check your front bumper, you probably kill a few hundred flies and insects each month

:D Ha Ha No flies on me.....

Jes...that pick of the horse is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Heading towards Carlow from Castledermot on the N9 one day and I saw a cute little bunny wabbit run across in front of me, just missed by a truck on the other side.

I willed the poor little thing to stay there in the middle of my lane, until I had passed, and then he could escape. However right at the last minute, he decided to run right under my left-front wheel.

The crunching sound was unreal... it is with me to this day. I didn't cry, because I'm a big boy, but I did shout "NOOOOOOOO, poor little rabbit!!!" to myself. I can imagine if I'd had kids in the car, they'd have been in hysterics.

And this very morning, on the N9 just north of Waterford, I saw something spin out into my path from in front of a lorry. Not knowing what it was, I swerved a little (plenty of time to do so) so as to avoid it. In my rear-view though I could see that it was a poor bird, unable to move and flapping away furiously. I don't imagine it lasted much longer with all the traffic, especially trucks, around at that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

junkyard wrote: »
    I came across a dead Labrador the other morning going through Mayfield, it was like a crime scene, blood everywhere, the poor thing must have been hit by a truck. Tbh anyone who leaves a dog loose on the road should get jail.

i came very close to killing a dog there the other morning. the owner was taking it for a walk without a leash :rolleyes:. idiot.

it ran across the front of my car at the last second and i barely avoided rolling over it. i blew the horn at the owner because it was his fault that it nearly happened and you should see the look he gave me, as if i was wrong :rolleyes:.

i reckon he was trying to get my reg number as i was driving away because he went out in the middle of the road looking after me as i drove away (after coming close to throwing a few f**ks his way due to his attitude) and i hope he got it too. ill be only too happy to inform any Garda that might ask me about this incident about the lack of control he had over his pet :rolleyes:. after all, if it was on a leash how could it run out like that ;)? hope he's not that thick although it wouldnt surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I drive HGV for a living and are my kills to date:

Insect around 1,000,000
    Birds 3
    Foxes 1
    Cats 2
    Rabbits 2
    Rats 3 and I actually try and kill them!:D

Its quite a low total considering the amount of kms we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The recommended technique if you are suddenly confronted by a large animal (e.g. cow, deer, horse) and after braking hard you realise you are going to impact, is to get off the brakes and floor the throttle. If you hit the animal while braking hard, the front of your car is down low (from braking), you will hit the animal's legs low down and the animal will be scooped onto the bonnet and through the windscreen, probably killing you and/or any passengers.

By flooring the throttle, you lift the front of the car, and the impact will be less likely to result in the above outcome.

Counter-intuitive, maybe, but it's what I'll be doing if the situation ever arises. Remember, it is only when you cannot avoid an impact that you do this.

Not your ornery onager

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure if anyone posted it already but

www.biology.ie

has a roadkill survey on it for reporting, they are trying
    to track effects on wildlife.

http://www.biology.ie/map.php?m=npws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

A bird flew into my car going home last night, boucing way up in the air landed on the road behind me, and then got flatted by a passing lorry.

Speed kills slow down!!!

Advertisement