Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG No study done what to do!!!

Options
  • 02-06-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

OK, I'm seriously depressed right now I have no study done for ANYTHING and its basically a day till they start... I did terrible on my mocks (Failed everything) I have only 2 Higher Subjects and I need 320 Points other wise I'm pritty much DEAD my folks will KILL me, what do I do ???? :(:( And I can't repeat for reasons I can't go into right now HELP PLEASE I NEED SOME SERIOUSS HELP GUYS/GALS what do i DO!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Get off the internet, open your books, study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Prepare to get very friendly with the people the year below you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Start now and do as much as you can. You'd be surprised how much you can get through in a short space of time if fear is driving you on.

Don't just sit there contemplating how much stuff there is that you don't know, just start doing something, anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I doubt your parents will kill you. You might want to tell them now that you're probably not gonna do too well, that way if you don't do well, it won't be a big surprise. As for study. I think you should just go over your courses, read everything and try to get as much of it to stick as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Why did you not do anything?

Bit late now...

Last minute cramming might get you through, mind you that's only if you genuinely are prepared to work extremely hard between now and the end of exams.

Figure out what grade you want in each subject, and work out how you expect to achieve that grade in that subject. Then work out when each exam is and how much time you have between exams and cram accordingly.

Though I'd advise you to seriously rethink going to college. You won't survive there if you aren't prepared to do any work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lastminutequest

Fckered

Were you not concerned lyk 4.....5 days ago??

I feel for you tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Prepare to get very friendly with the people the year below you.
    :D

Here is what you should do, simply Break your arm or wrist, whichever is easier. I would suggest jumping out the window of your house or off a cliff. No more than a height of 9ft or you'll die!

All the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

K4t wrote: »
    :D

Here is what you should do, simply Break your arm or wrist, whichever is easier. I would suggest jumping out the window of your house or off a cliff. No more than a height of 9ft or you'll die!
    Unless he actually knows how to land.. :D

Well, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

You're freaking out about the fact that you've done no study. This means you know that you should study. And you ask us what to do.

Get off the internet and open your books. Hope the things you know and study come up, and be smart with your study - look over things that have a good chance of appearing on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Get a load of money and slip it in with your exam papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

turgon wrote: »
    Get a load of money and slip it in with your exam papers.

That reminds me of that little pink information booklet. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,938 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OP you started a thread just like this only 3 weeks ago.

So youve continued to sit on your ass.

Personally, you're on your own at this stage.

Yeah sorry but I have to agree. My girlfriends always giving out about how bad she did in the pre's, and how she needs to improve. And then she does nothing. She went to the school the other day - for ONE hours, then went driving for FIVE hours. So in August if she does bad ill just say "I told you so". Although nicer than that ;)

Its your Leaving Cert. No excuses.

Except if youv like trouble at home, or serious emotional difficulties. Which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

you must have done ome strudy you prob dnt feel you have but you'll surprise yourself.. i kicked back and relaxed all year crammed big time for the mocks and passed everything got 345 couldn believe it.. had to check who's name was on top of the page... haha
    Its not the end of the world what is it you want to do???
    but defo recommened you open a book asap!!!! dont repeat you'll get ur course eventually...

i mean not to sound like an old coot but ive sat on this forum since the mocks and been whipping at you young snappers to get studying right there and then. Hopefully some of you got the message.
    22180629.jpg

I mean why I remember the time, when I was young an brave...

seriously though good results come from practice. Cramming really cant provide you that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You could dedicate your life to science, mathematics, engineering etc. in order to find a way to construct a time machine, send your self back in time and give yourself a kick in the arse. :pac:

Either way you're in for a lot of studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

You're screwed and will be very lucky to get the 300 point total end of story.

But miracles do happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Octavarium

Just do SOMETHING.

Sit down. Do 2 maths questions. Learn 10 useful Irish phrases. Read through all the poetry on Philip Larkin, then do an exam question on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

bit late to be panicking dont ya think?
    it wont be the end of the world if u make a balls of it,
    there is always next year;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irish0808

Ok here's my quick guide:
    English HL Paper 1:

Have a scan through exam papers, look at the type of questions being asked. Read over ur essays u've done over the past 2 years and see where your downfalls are. Look at the comprehensions and see if you can identify the criteria being looked for in the question, you will be asked about how the author reveals him/herself or the style of language used ie. Persuasive, narritave, informative or arugument -Practice Practice Practice. Look at the composing question and see which question you think you can answer best and answer a question random year - its worth 100mks!

English Paper 2 HL:
    Read over 3 of your poets and try learn them off, look at the questions and figure out what you would say in the exam if you were asked.
    Read over your Single Text, your notes and essays from over the last year, note what you could do better. Read an analysis of the characters online by google searching the characters name and the name of the text. www.sparknotes.com - brilliant for shakespeare notes.
    Have a read of notes on your comparative study and take a look at your essays you've done over the year. There is loads of notes on www.skoool.ie

Best of luck
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Some of the posters here need to get off their high horses, the OP just asked for advice , a bit late now granted. All you can really do OP is just get out for textbooks and cram like theres no tommorrow, well there is no tommorrow actually.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Ok all of these ppl are right, but wat u want to do is study the night before. Tonight do any eng essay that u hav prepared nd do a few comprehensions for practise. Look through your language book and know how to write a letter to the editor, speech, obituary, travel guide, diary entry, they are common sense but you need to know what type of language to use in each one. Then study for paper 2 right after the exam tmoro and tmoro eve. Learn the night before but i strongly recommend not studying the morning before the exam, u will just get confused and u wont retain any info.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Some of the posters here need to get off their high horses

I think he'll manage with me on his back. Sure he's just sitting there, stoned out of his head. Not like me getting up will make him move.

u c wut i did thar?

Some of the posters here need to get off their high horses, the OP just asked for advice , a bit late now granted. All you can really do OP is just get out for textbooks and cram like theres no tommorrow, well there is no tommorrow actually.

Best of luck

I try not to get up there. I really do. But I get so sick of seeing these kids just playing around in the mud expecting someone to hand them a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Overheal wrote: »
    I try not to get up there. I really do. But I get so sick of seeing these kids just playing around in the mud expecting someone to hand them a degree.

Yes i agree with you, Im just after seeing that the OP had a similar thread a few weeks ago! Im going to get up on the horse now, you get what you deserve in the Leaving Cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Yes i agree with you, Im just after seeing that the OP had a similar thread a few weeks ago! Im going to get up on the horse now, you get what you deserve in the Leaving Cert

Ah not really,the leaving certs just a memory game,at least in some subjects. Some very intelligent people don't get what they deserve simply because they're not great at remembering large amounts of info.

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Ah not really,the leaving certs just a memory game,at least in some subjects. Some very intelligent people don't get what they deserve simply because they're not great at remembering large amounts of info.

Life Skills require memory im afraid. But you disclude that much of the certs is about logic: because you wont remember it all; the stuff you do know and your own sense of intelligence and logic will fill in the gaps on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Overheal wrote: »
    Life Skills require memory im afraid. But you disclude that much of the certs is about logic: because you wont remember it all; the stuff you do know and your own sense of intelligence and logic will fill in the gaps on the day.

Ability to retain information > logic, at least in the leaving cert sense.
    The exams are only 3 hours long, and most subjects are simply about
    giving the examiner points from the textbook.

Logic is useless in an exam like History, Business, or even home economics.
    The only exams where you use any sort of "Logic" are Maths, Physics, and
    English.

If using your own logic is the case, why are there bookshelf's full of "Revise wise"
    and "memory aids"? Face it. For the most part, the LC is about memory retention.

To the OP, keep a cool head and answer what you are asked.
    If you listened in class over the two years, that class time
    is worth a hell of a lot more than X number of hours studied
    following the run up to the exams. Just do your best.

Advertisement