Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High in the Arctic .. .. .. Eskimo !!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Regardless of anything else, this is a photography forum and the images
    are fasinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Maybe so Burnt but the OP started spewing out all these 'facts' and propaganda first.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Majik_Imaje

Frozen ice is comprised of salt water.. it is not fresh - we have to get the salt out of the ice. There are two ways to get the salt out of the ice.

TAKE A PIECE OF OCEAN ICE - melt it. TAKE A DRINK OF IT AND PUKE !!

IT IS LOADED WITH SALT !!!

This photo essay is doomed by the beligerent attitudes of ANYTHING I post is incredible !!

I guess Eskimos are just plain stupid and dumb !!

I will let the whaling captains know - It is ok to just melt ice and drink it - !!

A 3,000 year old tradition is nothing but deception !!
    ANSWER: FROZEN SALT WATER is the exact same thing as FROZEN FRESH WATER. When SALT WATER freezes is expells the SALT through a process called BRINE REJECTION. YOU OBTAIN FRESH WATER by MELTING SNOW. Also, if you haven't yet realised you're using fresh water, I hope you don't think it's a good idea to clean and wash with saltwater.

Wow !!! did you get that from the internet ?? It sure proves my point exactly !!!

I have tasted snow that has been melted ( clean snow ) - it tastes yuk.

I have tasted ocean ice (when it is prepared correctly) and it is the most delicious water I have ever tasted - it contains no salt !!

AGAIN: We use snow for washing and cleaning - we use ocean ice for cooking and drinking!

The salt that is inside the ice can actually be seen and observed in the ice. I realize that many of you spend two months every year living out on the ocean ice and you have performed these time tested traditions and found them all to be totally FALSE !!

Two methods to get the salt out of the ice are ????

Lets put your brain power to the test and see if anyone can correctly come up with anything remotely accurate !!

I will just post images w/ no text - it is obvious no matter what I post - someone is going to gripe about spam or advertising or some other foolish agenda.

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION & I also happen to have a 'different' opinion -

I wonder how the women get dough to rise - in a tent when it is -50 below zero outside. These women work so hard - all day - cooking for a crew of 12. No pay for two months. In fact the unemployment rate in most of the smaller villages (9) is 80%.

Try and raise a family of ten on no income. NO they do not get government hand outs. It is incredibly expensive to live in the arctic.

Arts & Crafts - is a huge world wide business that is booming in demand.

Kezia.jpg

What is an IGLOO ?? I betcha don't know (In Alaska) what an igloo is !!

First of all - The Inupiaq language contains no O's or E's

The correct spelling of that word is IGLU it is pronounced exactly as the wrong spelling IG LOO

Iglu = one dwelling

Iglut = two dwellings

Igluk = 3 or more.

An iglu is built or constructed using whale bones and sod. They are quite large and some even have (wings - rooms) off to either side.

For more than 3,000 years the Inupiaq peoples have lived in this manner.

Iglu.jpg

ots02.JPG

ots01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Frozen ice is comprised of salt water.. it is not fresh - we have to get the salt out of the ice. There are two ways to get the salt out of the ice.

This photo essay is doomed by the beligerent attitudes of ANYTHING I post is incredible !!

I guess Eskimos are just plain stupid and dumb !!

I will let the whaling captains know - It is ok to just melt ice and drink it - !!

A 3,000 year old tradition is nothing but deception !!

Wow !!! did you get that from the internet ?? It sure proves my point exactly !!!

I have tasted snow that has been melted ( clean snow ) - it tastes yuk.

I have tasted ocean ice (when it is prepared correctly) and it is the most delicious water I have ever tasted - it contains no salt !!

AGAIN: We use snow for washing and cleaning - we use ocean ice for cooking and drinking!

The salt that is inside the ice can actually be seen and observed in the ice. I realize that many of you spend two months every year living out on the ocean ice and you have performed these time tested traditions and found them all to be totally FALSE !!

Two methods to get the salt out of the ice are ????

Lets put your brain power to the test and see if anyone can correctly come up with anything remotely accurate !!

I will just post images w/ no text - it is obvious no matter what I post - someone is going to gripe about spam or advertising or some other foolish agenda.

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION & I also happen to have a 'different' opinion -

I wonder how the women get dough to rise - in a tent when it is -50 below zero outside. These women work so hard - all day - cooking for a crew of 12. No pay for two months. In fact the unemployment rate in most of the smaller villages (9) is 80%.

Try and raise a family of ten on no income. NO they do not get government hand outs. It is incredibly expensive to live in the arctic.

Arts & Crafts - is a huge world wide business that is booming in demand.

Kezia.jpg

So there's this newlywed couple, on their honeymoon.

They're at a beautiful tropical location, a resort with thatch huts, scuba diving, all-included meals and drinks, the works.

The morning of the third day they're there, they're out swimming, when suddenly they're realize they're surrounded by sharks. The husband and wife cling together, as a giant, looming shadow swims under the water towards them.

Shortly, this huge shark raises halfway up out of the water and says, "I won't eat you if you promise me one thing" through gleaming white teeth.

"What? What? We'll do anything!" the wife cried out.

Just then the shark screamed "PARAGUAY! PARAGUAY! PARAGUAY!!!!!!"

longhaired20hare9qo.jpg

This post brought to you by the concept that posting ice melting techniques and opinions from World Nut Daily on global warming in a photography thread is an exercise in non-sequiturs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

You said you were originally from America yeah?

:D

I am still in America .. I was born and raised in Boston Mass. "Southie"

Lived on the east coast for 30 years - lived with Eskimo's for 30 more years in Alaska

Now headed back to Boston (very soon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I am still in America .. I was born and raised in Boston Mass. "Southie"

Lived on the east coast for 30 years - lived with Eskimo's for 30 more years in Alaska

Now headed back to Boston (very soon).

I'd like to ask, why are you going back to Boston?

If I answer that truthfully - you wouldn't believe me.

Lets just say - It is time for me to leave ALASKA for good !!

In a few days - I will post the truth - but no one would ever believe this story - no matter what !

But when a 14 year old boy - receives 100's of billions in out of court law suit settlments - SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG !! (IN THIS STATE).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

In a few days - I will post the truth - but no one would ever believe this story - no matter what !

that SEEMS LIKELY !!!!!!!!

you could, alternatively, do us all a favour, and not bother posting it here in the photography forum.

GOOD BYE !!!

I hope you all enjoyed yourselves !!

God Bless YOU all !!

Amen ok-bye

35.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I really hope a lot of that was lost in translation :)

nice photo's though

dellafay.jpg

AapaNAakaweb.JPG

002s.jpg

FrontPage.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It is physically impossible for saltwater to freeze. It is possible, however, for pockets of saltwater to exist in ice. This may be what you're referring to when you talk about the salt content of sea ice. I suggested snow as a source of freshwater. Snow is a form of precipitation. Water evaporation is the precursor to precipitation. The salt in saltwater doesn't evaporate. Snow is made up of freshwater. Melted snow is freshwater.

Also, 30 Days of Night?

• Advertisement

30 DAYS OF NIGHT - was not filmed in Barrow Alaska !!! It is 100% FICTION

There is no such thing ( In Alaska) as a day with no light.

In other words there is no such thing as 24 hours of darkness - never mind 30 days of it.

We do have light every day of the year.

The shortest day is Dec 21st. It will get 'light' out @ about 11:45 a.m.

it will be dark again in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

The sun sets (Barrow) on November 18th and it will NOT COME ABOVE the horizon again until Jan 24th. During that time we have NO direct SUNLIGHT. When I say it gets light out - it is like dusk - but still bright enough to read a newspaper outside.

We do however have 24/7 of BRILLIANT SUNSHINE for almost 3 1/2 months. no darkness at all May - August

When I first came to the Arctic to live among the Inupiaq peoples. The house I was living in - had no water. I had to rough it out (for two years).

During that time - all I had for a source of water was snow.

I had 60 rolls of VPS 100 ISO color film - It took me many months using snow to process this film. 27 years later - that film is still in pristine condition.

Snow mixed with Tang was my only source of liquids to drink - it was nasty !! Sure it is fresh water - but it tastes like yuk !!

Ocean ice (that is frozen) is not fresh water !! The salt is still in there

Here are the two methods we use on a regular basis to get that salt out.

YOU CAN ACTUALLY WATCH THIS HAPPEN !!! It took me a long time to catch on to this trick(s). I am a dumb city boy from Boston - I know nothing about survival skills in sub zero temps.

Sand is used in some cases - either to cut a huge hole in the ice.

But placing a large piece of ocean ice on sand will suck the salt out and you can watch this process take place. FIRST you must scrape all the snow off that piece of ice on the top and the sides.

By standing that piece of ice up and brushing or scraping the snow off will start the process - Just place that piece of ice in the sunlight and watch what happens !!

The top portion of that ice will begin to clear up - at first you can't see anything but then you can begin to see (inside) the ice. It is becoming clearer as all that salt BEGINS TO settle. In time a huge portion of the top of the ice becomes crystal clear - THEN take your kettle and using an ice pick, chop horizontal little pieces and fill the kettle. when melted it is absolutely delicious !! Take any piece of ice that is not clear and put it in your mouth and you will instantly spit it out because of all the SALT !!

SALT WATER CONTAINS 153 DIFFERENT ELEMENTS & MINERALS !

Here in the Arctic - the ocean freezes - and BELIEVE ME - it is not fresh water !!!

On one forum - one woman said to me .. .. Now I know your lying .. you said it was February and it was light. & we all know there is six months of light and six months of darkness.

THAT IS A MYTH : !!

30 DAYS OF NIGHT - was not filmed in Barrow Alaska !!! It is 100% FICTION

no WAY !!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Oh man, I'm lovin this thread, contender for 'Thread Oscar' I reckon. I started off at post 1 and my initial reaction was, 'oh this is different', then I came down to post 5 and thought 'ooh thats eerie', and then (& only then) I noticed the date, doh !, Ok, so how did this get resurected, and I have been following it with interest since !! /Could we get the pics to stay in this thread and then carry on the 'talking' in a seperate thread, like..........conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I need to know why he had to leave Alaska....what it has to do with a 14 year old boy.......and a 100 billion out of court settlement....theres a great book in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

ok, I know nothing about living and surviving in the conditions Majik_Imaje is describing but the whole sea ice/potable water issue is a very easy one to sort out.

Here is a good reference: Link
    Can you drink melted sea ice?
    New ice is usually very salty because it contains concentrated droplets called brine that are trapped in pockets between the ice crystals, and so it would not make good drinking water. As ice ages, the brine eventually drains through the ice, and by the time it becomes multiyear ice, nearly all of the brine is gone. Most multiyear ice is fresh enough that someone could drink its melted water. In fact, multiyear ice often supplies the fresh water needed for polar expeditions. See Salinity and Brine in the Characteristics section for more information.

I assume the sea ice that Majik is talking about is seasonal and therefor would contain the brine pockets and as a result be non potable.

I'm very much enjoying the stories and pictures but I'd leave the conspiracy theories to another thread. If possible could you continue describing life as you experienced it with the Whale Hunters.

• Advertisement

FLAG06.jpg

FOOD - !!!

FOOD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

What a different photo. There was me thinking "thats an odd place to have a mattress", and then clink the coin dropped. ;)
    Like most people i am finding the photo's unreal and the storys slighty sureal . . . .
    Best thread of the week though

Let me explain something to you about the Ocean Ice pack where we hunt. It is obvious 'we' are not on the same page !!

Some of the people (that have made comments) are talking about the Polar ice cap. That is no where near us, It is many hundreds of miles away (300). That is not what I am speaking about.

The ice I am talking about (best in decades) is attached to land. It is not part of the polar ice cap.

This photograph will provide some insight !!

BIGjesse.jpg

NOTICE: The dirt -sand this is land - Notice how thick this ice was. 24 hours earlier June 8th of 2007 That open water was all ice.

See the lead on the other side of the water - that is what was connected to this land ice - UNTIL: the winds picked up - the ice cracked and it was blown out to sea.

You can see one umiaq still out there - waiting - for a whale to give it self over to the captain of its choice. It never happened. This is Point Hope.

Now lets go to Barrow and let me show you what is involved - Just to get ready to go whaling.

It takes a complete year to get ready (everything). For the Spring Hunt

Certain 'jobs' can only be accomplised at certain times of the year, or (seasons).

Repairs have to be made to equipment - new skins put on the umiaq (skin boat) oo me ack / Surprisingly enough - dental floss is commonly used to sew skins together!! Caribou Sinew is also used - if it is available.

To begin. A trail has to be cut through the ocean ice - A road is made - a very smooth rode for the snowmachines & Hondas to transport everything needed to live out on the ice pack - many miles out there.

Ocean ice is not smooth - it is chunks - broken every which way because of the advancing ice crushing and riding over the 'young' ice. There are areas on the ocean ice pack that are smooth. That ice is not as safe as where the ice has piled up/ i.e. pressure ridges.

ICE.jpg

So we have to make a road, we do not go around obstacles - no we go straight through them - THAT IS THE SAFEST ICE. - we need a straight road - so that when we have to evacuate the ice because of a shift in the wind - it is panic time - "killigvuk' Evacuate the ice - EVERYTHING comes off that ice pack - back to shore (land). As fast as possible !

When that wind shifts - Massive ice is now moving in our direction and it will run over and crush everything in its path !

Size is extremely difficult to discern out here - unless you see something 'familiar'!!

scout.jpg

Looking - scouting for the path to take for the road. This road is 7 miles long - straight - cut and made by hand - long hard ardous days of hard work for one month - and no one gets paid for anything - just the right to eat !! The Captain foots the bill for his crew - he pays for everything - food - fuel - ammunition etc. Last year Eugene Brower went through 3 - 55 gallon drums of fuel for the snowmachines and hondas- just to make this road !!

Chopping ice all day - in sub zero temps is difficult hard work indeed - these images illustrate plainly the incredible amount of ice that has to be moved and smoothed out.

searching.JPG

All of this work - just to eat & What is so unusual about the building of this road - is that no one ever complains !!

Once your out here - this is it for the next 12 - 14 hours - no place to go to warm up. The 'heat' is in the tools you are using !! - work hard!

SMOOTH.JPG

meeting.JPG

SMOOTH2.JPG

SMOOTHER.JPG

WA1.JPG

ADVANCE.JPG

WORKING.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Amazing stuff, thank you for the insight into your world. :)

When you work hard(er) you will sweat - this is not good! In any case - it is a big mistake - to ever remove your hat !! The effects are immediately obvious !!!

travel.JPG

Thank Ruu You !!

NOTICE: all cracks are always filled in and packed to create a smooth road. Constant back & forth travel with these machines will smooth out the road. but still the high spots have to be cut down and the low spots filled in. Back and Forth - 7 miles in each direction - chopping ice - just to eat & no one complains !! Nothing but laughter and fun all day long .. .. in a frozen paradise - a different world - for all practical purposes .... A different planet - a world of ice in all directions!! This is where you work, rest, sleep, eat - The largest loo in the world !!

Soon, in a few months - we begin to do it all over again! We hope to have HD-Videos to present a much longer diary of day to day events during the process of breaking trail & setting up camps before the hunt can begin.

From high in the Arctic a happy holiday season to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Soon, in a few months - we begin to do it all over again! We hope to have HD-Videos to present a much longer diary of day to day events during the process of breaking trail & setting up camps before the hunt can begin.

Do yee use dogs for travel/work?

Tell me Majik, what are your feelings about the 21st of December ?

• Advertisement

It is the day before Dec. 22nd!!

RoverZT wrote: »
    Do yee use dogs for travel/work?

Snowmachines, trucks, cars, boats & Hondas etc

Advertisement