Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Series of Poker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Slash/ED wrote: »
    ESPNs coverage will become gradually less and less popular and successful (Already happening I think?) for this very reason, however.

Moneymaker did come and 'beat the best', in so much as he played on tables late on with iirc Freddy Deeb, Ivey who he busted (With an unreal suckout, but still), Humbeeeeerto and other big name players like even Farha who he beat heads up. This makes for great TV.

Jerry Yang beat a load of randomers we will largely never see again, as did Gold bar Wasicka who has had some results since the ME I think and obviously Cunningham. This isn't good TV, imo. The ME latter stages are contested by new players every year, and this takes away the prestige of winning it. Nobody would tune in to watch people sitting around to see who won the lotto for hours and hours on end each time, and with the field as big as it is that's what the ME is. The whole come and beat the best thing only makes good TV if it looks like there was something bar luck involved, on TV as things are, it looks like it's just a case of who runs better. People will get bored, and switch off, which they are doing I think.

I don't think people want to tune in to see who ran hottest this year out of people they've never heard of. Purely from a TV ratings point of view, a higher buy in makes more sense. Thin the field dramatically, which makes it more likely known pros will make the latter stages, and if it's the same five guys making the WSOP final table every year it'll actually be worth watching when an amateur breaks through to the final table and has a shot at winning and following people people already know play too will just be more interesting, imo.

The ME utterly bores me from a TV perspective, I watched a bit of the FT live but haven't seen any of the footage since, and I think people will lose interest. I can't see why people want to tune in to see if one randomers QQ holds up against another amateurs AK this year. Having one tournament thats set as the biggest (Which does mean having the largest buy in) is imo the best way to get ratings and keep people interested in poker in general to watch which is important for the future of the game.

Eh, rambled on a bit there really...

FWIW I completely agree with this, and echoes exactly the sentiment I was trying to reach. I think that by upping the buy-in you should get better players and better play shown on TV, there will always be journeymen no matter what the buy-in look at Guy Libertine or w/e, there will be enough of them getting lucky to keep people interested.

The buy-in being so low and "any man winning it" is not why people watch the tournament it is why people play the tournament!

musician wrote: »
    So watch the H.O.R.S.E.
    You're probably as well to watch the Tennis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

where can you watch the WSOP live?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think something like a 25k buy-in might get the balance right - you want something that allows qualifiers to come from online but not so many as to drown out the pros who'll buy-in direct. Similarly you want it low enough that some millionaires (celebrities, businessmen etc..) won't baulk at the amount and will also buy-in to it. I think the current 10k is way too low.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Mont wrote: »
    where can you watch the WSOP live?

Here - presumably as soon as they decide what to broadcast. It 'aint free though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

Hey BCB/Roundtower i'll go $200 a piece with re: M.E numbers bet if ye are interested (not rolled to be making $1000 bets on such a ridiculous subject. LOL). Nominate a reputable person re escrow and we're on. Prob won't be online for the next few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,653 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ESPNs coverage will become gradually less and less popular and successful (Already happening I think?) for this very reason, however.

Moneymaker did come and 'beat the best', in so much as he played on tables late on with iirc Freddy Deeb, Ivey who he busted (With an unreal suckout, but still), Humbeeeeerto and other big name players like even Farha who he beat heads up. This makes for great TV.

Jerry Yang beat a load of randomers we will largely never see again, as did Gold bar Wasicka who has had some results since the ME I think and obviously Cunningham. This isn't good TV, imo. The ME latter stages are contested by new players every year, and this takes away the prestige of winning it. Nobody would tune in to watch people sitting around to see who won the lotto for hours and hours on end each time, and with the field as big as it is that's what the ME is. The whole come and beat the best thing only makes good TV if it looks like there was something bar luck involved, on TV as things are, it looks like it's just a case of who runs better. People will get bored, and switch off, which they are doing I think.

I don't think people want to tune in to see who ran hottest this year out of people they've never heard of. Purely from a TV ratings point of view, a higher buy in makes more sense. Thin the field dramatically, which makes it more likely known pros will make the latter stages, and if it's the same five guys making the WSOP final table every year it'll actually be worth watching when an amateur breaks through to the final table and has a shot at winning and following people people already know play too will just be more interesting, imo.

The ME utterly bores me from a TV perspective, I watched a bit of the FT live but haven't seen any of the footage since, and I think people will lose interest. I can't see why people want to tune in to see if one randomers QQ holds up against another amateurs AK this year. Having one tournament thats set as the biggest (Which does mean having the largest buy in) is imo the best way to get ratings and keep people interested in poker in general to watch which is important for the future of the game.

Eh, rambled on a bit there really...

This years world series main event will be watched by more people than any other year, and thats a certainty.
    You can be sure also that anyone with the slightest interest in poker will know every player at that final table with the amount of publicity they will get before they sit down to play it.
    The delay will mean that your average joe with even a fleeting interest in poker will have selected who he wants to win by whatever method, whether its that he came across as a nice guy during an interview, or 'he sounds like he knows what he's at' guy, or the dreaded 'my whole family are suffering from terminal illnesses' guy, or even the yang 'I am doing this in the name of god' guy.
    You can be guaranteed that every spin will be put on this so as to attract everyone to want to watch this.
    And you will have up to nine new well known names in Poker every year from now on, just from this one event.
    The Main Event has changed forever, its become bigger and better and will only grow after this year.

Re the delayed final table thing, am I the only person who has would have absolutely no interest in becoming "semi-famous" for having reached the FT or indeed winning? Just give me the dough and let me slide back into obscurity thank-you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You wouldn't be interested in the sponsorship benefits?

Re the delayed final table thing, am I the only person who has would have absolutely no interest in becoming "semi-famous" for having reached the FT or indeed winning? Just give me the dough and let me slide back into obscurity thank-you.

couldnt agree more to be honest, not something i'd like to be famous for. I'd take $5m and second place with obscurity no problem.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't be interested in the sponsorship benefits?

Not if i'd just won $5 to 8 mill . Being some shady online sites rent boy for the next few years would be the last thing on my mind. I had to laugh when i read Full Tilts T & C's for their $10 mill for winning the WSOP promo. If you agree to it they basically own you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Not if i'd just won $5 to 8 mill . Being some shady online sites rent boy for the next few years would be the last thing on my mind. I had to laugh when i read Full Tilts T & C's for their $10 mill for winning the WSOP promo. If you agree to it they basically own you.
    Dont worry about it might never happen to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Hey BCB/Roundtower i'll go $200 a piece with re: M.E numbers bet if ye are interested (not rolled to be making $1000 bets on such a ridiculous subject. LOL). Nominate a reputable person re escrow and we're on. Prob won't be online for the next few days though.

lafortezza and 5starpool have both agreed to escrow here, they are both mods of the poker forum and quite reputable imo

pick one and send them the money.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just wondering does anyone have a link to a blog or whatever that gives a description of important hands as they happen in the WSOP.
    Cardplayer.com seems only to give the results.

I'd love to read about the big hands of the final table of the 10,000PL world championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

jayteecork wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone have a link to a blog or whatever that gives a description of important hands as they happen in the WSOP.
    Cardplayer.com seems only to give the results.

I'd love to read about the big hands of the final table of the 10,000PL world championship.

pokernews.com go to the live reporting section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

RoundTower wrote: »
    lafortezza and 5starpool have both agreed to escrow here, they are both mods of the poker forum and quite reputable imo

pick one and send them the money.

ditto - i suggest Lafforteza cos 5starpool is a shady character

(eh no just 5star had hassle with xsfrs recently)

can you confirm that your happy to proceed with the bet? and that laff will escrow? if so i will go ahead and send $200.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Lafortezza (Bray) on Pokerstars if this goes ahead.

Ok i'll transfer to Laf, prob not till tomorrow though, working at the mo.
    Just for confirmation, the agreement is I get the monies if the number of entrants in The 2008 WSOP Main event is lowerthen the 2007 field (6,358)

If the number of entrants is higher the monies are shipped to RT and BCB.
    In th event of a tie (LOL) monies returned.

We all in agreement?

PSD Laffortezza do you have a Full Tilt account by any chance?

pretty sure we had the tie in the original framing of the bet, but I'm OK to call it a push if that happens.

Only Stars account I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

sent

if you like you can send me the money on FT and I'll send your money to Laf on Stars.

it's RoundTower/Dublin/elephant.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you need someone to escrow this part, I'm sure Laf will be happy to do that too :)

Ok i'll transfer to Laf, prob not till tomorrow though, working at the mo.
    Just for confirmation, the agreement is I get the monies if the number of entrants in The 2008 WSOP Main event is lowerthen the 2007 field (6,358)

If the number of entrants is higher the monies are shipped to RT and BCB.
    In th event of a tie (LOL) monies returned.

We all in agreement?

grand job, $200 sent to Lafortezza on stars there now.

$200 received from both BCB and RT. Attempt to spin up at 5/10 PLO imminent.

lafortezza wrote: »

one time dealer!!

Just shipped $400 to Roundtower on Tilt. Its on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

can I bet $200 as well? I'm not even sure what the bet is, but I have a good track record of putting money on bets I know nothing about

OK I sent HIV's money to Laf as well.

can I bet $200 as well? I'm not even sure what the bet is, but I have a good track record of putting money on bets I know nothing about

booked

I assume you dont need to escrow.

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote: »

buddylisted Bray now.

(this is a GOOD thing for you)

Advertisement