Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fraud!!

Options
  • 29-05-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am selling my car and have advertised on Buy and Sell! I got a mail through the Buy and Sell from someone who did not have great English, didnt make sense, wants to buy the car, said he will send on a Bankers Draft and get the car shipped to the U.K???
    Now, i KNOW this is fraud, all garages are being warned about this the whole of the country.
    He now only has my E-Mail address(not my main E Mail address, i made up one for this kind of thing)
    Can i report it to someone?
    He keeps saying the Bank Draft will clear in 1-2 days and only then will he come and get the car.
    I can see how so many will fall for this, he first shows his interest, asks questions like he is interested etc, then reassures that payment will be first then collection. Then thanks me very much as he was really looking for this car.
    I knew straightaway that this was not ligit, what about people who end up with no car and no money for it.
    I hate these scumbags.
    Thoughts please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

I dont understand the skam, can you explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wow, thanks for the info
    I certainly have never heard of this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

The scam could be, i will get a cheque that clears in 5-6 days not 2, and the person will come to collect the car, and say ''well i have to have it on the boat tomorrow'' or whatever.
    Or a cheque that would bounce.
    I dont want to have to give my name and address to this person either, even to test this scam.
    He said he will send on the Draft as soon as he gets my name/address which is asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The cheque/draft is a forgery and is not spotted by the bank straight away. Your branch will clear it but it will bounce once it gets a bit further into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

We should probably have a sticky about these scams. They come up once a day (twice on days ending in y).

OP do a search and you'll find loads of threads about similar scams.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    The cheque/draft is a forgery and is not spotted by the bank straight away. Your branch will clear it but it will bounce once it gets a bit further into the system.

And the amount they send you will typically be more than they sent you so they will ask for a refund for the excess. You duly send this by legitimate bank draft and bang. You're out of pocket.

Ok thanks for that.
    It is sickening. Is there any way this person can be traced through his E mail address. Probably not!
    I cant imagine the car going like that, and not getting money for it. People just give them the keys and say there you go- for nothing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's done by chaps with limited English and works about .01% of the time, usually on a person who also has sent his bank details the previous week for a part of a $16million inheritance somewhere in Sub Saharan Africa.

Anyone who falls for these scams deserves to be ripped off and it's perhaps better for the general public that they lose some of their assets.

javaboy wrote: »
    And the amount they send you will typically be more than they sent you so they will ask for a refund for the excess. You duly send this by legitimate bank draft and bang. You're out of pocket.

I didnt know about THAT bit.
    Would it be alright to copy and paste his E mail here, to warn others. Id feel much better even if 5 people see this, while selling their car, or know someone who is selling their car, and come across these F***heads.

tiredmam wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that.
    It is sickening. Is there any way this person can be traced through his E mail address. Probably not!
    I cant imagine the car going like that, and not getting money for it. People just give them the keys and say there you go- for nothing!!!

They don't expect the car to be sent. In fact it would probably be an inconvenience for them as it would be traceable. All they want is the refund by legitimate bank draft of the "accidental overpayment" on their fraudulent bank draft.

The cost of running a scam like this is tiny. If they get 1 in a 1000 hits then it's successful.

• Advertisement

I didnt know about THAT bit.
    Would it be alright to copy and paste his E mail here, to warn others. Id feel much better even if 5 people see this, while selling their car, or know someone who is selling their car, and come across these F***heads.

You can post it if you like for a laugh as the language is usually funny and overly formal but we've seen loads of them before.

As for warning people, it can't hurt but most people will have seen it before. There's some good threads here about how to string them along and annoy them.

Be glad you copped it was a scam. Obviously some people don't because they're still doing it.

EDIT: Leave out your own name/contact details but don't worry about theirs. They deserve all the spam they get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only place you can report this to really is the guards ...who will generally throw their hands in the air.

In fairnes to them, there isn't much they can do either ...some anonymous fraudster hiding behind a computer in some foreign country ...what can they do?

:o:o I apologise for not doing a search on this. There are hundreds of threads about the exact same thing. :mad: Same manner, probably the same person.
    I LOVE the thread by Bluehair about what he did on the phone.
    Im after spending the last hour nearly reading up on it.
    Thanks again for your replies and yep, i knew straightaway, im onto ANYONE who phones me up, or knocks on the door offering their services.

Here is the E mail:

Hello, My Philip Sidney. I am interested in your advert for the sale of your car and i would like to ask some details concerning it before proceeding with the payment. Since you are dealer, you should be able to clarified this few question for me so that i will be able to determine the condition of the car. 1. How long have you owned it? 2. Have you owned it from new? If not how many previous owner? 3. Why are you selling it? 4. In your opinion, what sort of condition is it? 5. Any available photo? 6. Last Price? Preffered method of payment is United kingdom Bank Draft cheque ?? which would CLEAR in your bank account within 1 to 2 working days , don't bother about the shipment the shipping cost will be my own responsibility. Urgent response is needed for procedure of payment I''ll be expecting your mail soonest.Send pics if also available.(EH....you should have seen them on the website dumbass) I would be very glad if you can get it sold to me. Kindly email me back, if it's still for sale. You fee free to give me a call at any time on my number +447011134075 . Best Regard

''Hello, My Philip Sidney'' WTF!!!!!!

The Next reply :

Dear ,

Thanks for the mail.I really likes to pay you in cash at hands.but right now I'm not within your reach(THANK GOD) that i could easily comes for the payment and pick-up the car once, so why we need talks better on another means of payment which is by means of Draft or Cheque,which is more secured and better than any other means of payment.

It's what i have been searching for for the last 6 months.Thanks for everything.(YOU ARE SO WELCOME...NOT)

Please help me take good proper care of it because i know by now its mine.(NO ITS ****ING MINE)But right now the month is drawing down to an END and i can see that i finally got one.

Really i want you to please send more pictures if available and if not its okay.
    Well, the asking price is okay by me for 10900Euro. I would be offering you 11,200Euro of the CAR (WARNING BELLS)only the shipping cost does not included. Reason for this is that i want you to make sure you reserved the CAR for me and consider it sold to any other enquiries.

I'm from Aberdeen in Scotland in UK, But i live by the sea side in The Republic of Denmark cos am a SAILOR. I always come home ( Aberdeen in Scotland in UK) every 4 Months and travel back to my place of work in Porto

So, kindly get back to me,so i know which of the two is your most preferred means of payment for the said item..Thanks for the mail...The payment will be in advance by Cheque and i will need the following info:

1)Get back with the name to be written on the Cheque.

2)Your address where it is to be delivered (not a postbox address).

3)Your phone contacts (home/office/mobile) for an effective communication.

Also,I have forward your mail to my Associate to send you the payment and also instruct him to include the shipping fee to your payment,because he has arrange for the shipping.

I am really glad that you want me to get the item and i will be happy also when i actually get it.Please email me back today.

PLEASE NOTE: That the cheque /Banker's Draft will be cleared first before releasing the Item ok .

Best Regards,
    Philip Sidney
    +447011134075

I'm from Aberdeen in Scotland in UK, But i live by the sea side in The Republic of Denmark cos am a SAILOR. I always come home ( Aberdeen in Scotland in UK) every 4 Months and travel back to my place of work in Porto

They had me convinced up until there. Everyone knows the song "your daddy's a sailor and NEVER comes home". Also is there a Porto in Denmark? I'm too lazy to check. ;)

What really puzzles me about these is that the English is so bad in them and yet they must be making some money from the scam (or they wouldn't bother). They would catch ten times more gullible people with a well written email. Surely they can find one person with good English who is interested in getting in on this scam? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,988 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There are hundreds of threads about the exact same thing. :mad: Same manner, probably the same person.

Not the same person. Millions of Nigerians have been at it for a long time. No point in going the legal route, tbh. Beat them at their own game!

My all time favourite 419 eater is Father Bateyoo Reelgud, a priest in the Church of Fish and Bread :D

Here's a picture of the Nigerian scammer:

tope2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

419eater seems to be off the air.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 64,988 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The website is fine for me now. But indeed, I've seen it struggle in the past :)

Could these people be in the country, on your own doorstep??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Could these people be in the country, on your own doorstep??

nassu street at trinity college....

also parnell street, jobstown and adamstown.... to name but a few areas they can be found in there mass's....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭sk8board

javaboy wrote: »

This is exactly the scam. It happens every day in the BnB trade (easier pickings unfortunately). These guys put in a great booking over the interweb for say 3 rooms (6-8 people) for 10 days or whatever, then send you the deposit, but actually send you the full amount, and get you to send them back the difference.
    http://www.bandbwatch.ie/resources/scams.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Here is the E mail:

Hello, My Philip Sidney. I am interested in your advert for the sale of your car and i would like to ask some details concerning it before proceeding with the payment. Since you are dealer, ...

Hahaha, that's the exact email I got although he thought I was selling a bike for some strange reason even though I had photos of a car up on the ad! I replied to the first email, trying to think of a way to string him along for a bit and waste his time. By the way, don't call that number, it's a premium rate UK number and will cost you a bomb. Another part of his scam.

Dont worry im not ringing any number. Im stringing him along as well.
    He'll only be left frustrated, im having a laugh, even though it makes me angry.
    How do i set up a premium rate number??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Looks like his associate would send you a huge amount extra for shipping costs and then good news he can pick it up himself, but urgently needs the shipping cost back by western union money transfer.
    Then he dissapears without trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭gavquinn

snollup wrote: »
    I dont understand the skam, can you explain?

He (buyer) wants the seller's bank details, to "make a bank draft" and pay the money. Whereas he'll more likely clear out the account, rather than pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Why dont you just pick some number from the back of the Sun or give him the number of Irish Psychics and tell him to call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

He sends you a big cheque. Before the check clears, he asks you to wire him some of the money back. After you've wired it to him, the cheque bounces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

One bit I never understood about these scams is how the banks clear the cheque after a few days, but then come back a week later or so and say it is a fraud.

What happens in-between for them to find out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hold on - have some fun.

Invent your whole persona - grab an address, somewhere.

When you get his (phoney) draft, find out where to send the refund.

Get a scanner, and invent your own draft, bank - make up an excuse and say your money is hidden, in an off-shore bank - and that you can send him ........dolars ? (not a mis-spelling, btw.........;)

Hell, offer to send him a box of them, in cash. Have inkjet, can travel !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

He is after re sending the second E mail to me. I said back, ''oh your associate can pay me cash then!!''
    I am afraid to give my address or even my old address AND he added do not give him a postbox address!!!!!!!

Advertisement