Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Firefox set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours.

Options
  • 29-05-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Help Firefox set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours, by registering on the Download Day site: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Ireland only has 418 pledges to date surely we can do better! Spread the word.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

573 pledges now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

pledged ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Great, that's nearly 1,400 pledges from Ireland so far. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pledged

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Pledged, lets hope we don't crash their servers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'd be proud if it was us Irish who did cause a server crash, if one is to occur. :P

I've pledged. We're not doing too badly either, 3,381 pledges at the time of this post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

Pledge!! OH YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'm glad there's been such a positive response to this here. But I think for Ireland's population we're way behind compared to other European countries. For example, Norway has a similar population size, but almost double the amount of pledges. Even Croatia with a similar population has more pledges!! Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Europe

Please consider adding a link to your Boards or email signature to boost the Irish numbers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

3940 pledges now, including mine... :) Not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

WHat are pledges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

barnicles wrote: »
    WHat are pledges
    Furniture polish.

73c6ca0cc3b8090efbef0f9f166dc9be.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Sherifu :D

barnicles: check out this page. People pledge to download the newest version of Firefox on the release date, and help in the attempt of setting a world record of software downloads in 24 hours. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

BeciMester wrote: »
    Sherifu :D

barnicles: check out this page. People pledge to download the newest version of Firefox on the release date, and help in the attempt of setting a world record of software downloads in 24 hours. :)
    4023 inc mine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

4604 including myself, wonder will this be like microsoft releases where u have to wait for the first service pack before u can really use the product ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oracle wrote: »
    Help Firefox set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours, by registering on the Download Day site: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Ireland only has 418 pledges to date surely we can do better! Spread the word.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pledges-
    Pledges are usually used as a barometer to see how many people are interested in (usually) donating something.
    In this instance I find it extremely out of place. To "pledge" that you are going to download FF....and in doing so break a record........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Firefox is one of the greatest programs known to man.

Well maybe not, but it is unreal. Especially if you design web pages you will realize just how bad Internet Explorer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Isn't the launch date today?! I went onto the site and there's nowhere to download it :confused:

turgon wrote: »
    Firefox is one of the greatest programs known to man.

Well maybe not, but it is unreal. Especially if you design web pages you will realize just how bad Internet Explorer is.

It's more compliant to the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) standards, the company in-charge of developing the web's standards. However, Internet Explorer 8 does promise an overhaul to make it more compliant. But I agree, Firefox is the browser of choice for me, too. I use it because it's faster and more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Caco wrote: »
    Isn't the launch date today?! I went onto the site and there's nowhere to download it :confused:
    It turns out it won't be available for download for our timezone until 18:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

ethernet wrote: »
    It turns out it won't be available for download for our timezone until 18:00.

Ah great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Wait what? Do you have to get it through a link on the world record page? I just downloaded it from mozilla.com..

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    Wait what? Do you have to get it through a link on the world record page? I just downloaded it from mozilla.com..

You probably just downloaded a Release Candidate. The official final version should be available at around 6pm our time, so the good folks here say.

The FAQ on the Spread Firefox site says:
    How do I take part in the record?
    It's simple--just download Firefox 3 as soon as it is available, preferably from Download Day Headquarters. You'll get a customized certificate by downloading from Headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

The pledge stats say a lot (to me at least):

- Ireland 5,924
    - Vietnam 7,500
    - Lithuania 6,300
    - Romania 11,400
    - Peru 7,600
    - Iran 9,600
    - Slovenia 7,400
    - Poland 107,000
    - Brazil 106,000

Before anyone comments on population, please check average income, internet penetration, and PC ownership data.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

dent wrote: »
    Pledged, lets hope we don't crash their servers :D

I think you spoke too soon, I'm getting connetion timed out on all mozilla/firefox sites :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Clearly they haven't heard of torrents. This would be by far the most ideal way of distributing this. I can't believe they couldn't see this coming. A lot of people are going to get pissed off and not bother with downloading it.

kierank01 wrote: »
    I think you spoke too soon, I'm getting connetion timed out on all mozilla/firefox sites :(

There was talk of 5 million downloads expected. I would guess between 25 and 50% would be trying in the first couple of hours. Maybe their real plan is to crash the internet :D

Update: I just got in, clicked on download FF3, but got a page for version 2.0.0.14 or v3 RC3... strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Monotype wrote: »
    Clearly they haven't heard of torrents. This would be by far the most ideal way of distributing this. I can't believe they couldn't see this coming. A lot of people are going to get pissed off and not bother with downloading it.

I think that they wanted to do it directly from their servers, so that Guinness could verify exactly how many downloads took place

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

I think I'll wait until tomorrow to download it... they're having problems already. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Zynks wrote: »
    Update: I just got in, clicked on download FF3, but got a page for version 2.0.0.14 or v3 RC3... strange.

There has already been 470k downloads. I suspect that when you get the email you get a different link.

Advertisement