Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using Sand in the engine to improve car performance.

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

The short answer is don't do it. :pac: :pac:

http://www.audiforums.com/m_693578/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#693578
    Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.
    I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.
    Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This again! :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I nominate that person for a Darwin Award.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I second that motion....

Sand in the engine to make it go faster......know we now who robbed the glue factory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This doesn't work? Oh-oh. *quickly runs out to the garage*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Lads, glass is like super compressed sand. It's much more efficient and has a higher transubstantiation temperature.

A pea sized amount in your fuel tank every time you fill up should do the job. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sugar in a petrol engine is even better than sand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 angryaine

Sugar in a petrol engine is even better than sand :D

ive heard this a few times, but what exactly happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

angryaine wrote: »
    ive heard this a few times, but what exactly happens?
    It crystalizes and turns into a mess, gumms up the jets in the carbs/ fuel injectors and causes mayham in the engine. Basically your fuel system will need a complete overhaul. It was a big problem in the 60ies & 70ies when people were "honest" and fuel cap locks were un heard of on motorbikes and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Hobbes wrote: »
    So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas

Honda 50's?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mike65 wrote: »
    This again! :pac:

Mike.

ack sorry, had an initial looksee.
    It crystalizes and turns into a mess, gumms up the jets in the carbs/ fuel injectors and causes mayham in the engine. Basically your fuel system will need a complete overhaul. It was a big problem in the 60ies & 70ies when people were "honest" and fuel cap locks were un heard of on motorbikes and cars.

Actually they did this on myth busters and it had no effect on the engine. The sugar doesn't dissolve into the petrol and just sinks to the bottom of the petrol tank. When they tried putting it in mixed had no effect either.

• Advertisement

That has fake post written all over it. The guy joined the same day as he posted that story and only has 3 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement