Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I'm in Drogheda years but none of those places meant anything to me! I am a blow in, even after 10 years! :D

I am a blow-in as well, and would know the majority of the ones in town, but not surrounding area's. Kitchen on South Quay would be my go to for lunch. I find menus are very similar in most places. Fish dish being Hake, its now as common as Cod or Salmon on most menus. Pulled Pork being the other go to dish for most places.

Supposed to be New Fish Restaurant opening on Laurence Street, hopefully they will be a bit more adventurous in choice of fish offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I see the former Tower Restaurant premies has been bought and filled. New venture by the same owners of the Black Bull. Anyone know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I see the former Tower Restaurant premies has been bought and filled. New venture by the same owners of the Black Bull. Anyone know more?

just a wedding/function venue I believe

IvoryTower wrote: »
    just a wedding/function venue I believe

Ah, I was wondering that. Heard conflicting things about whether they were open as a restaurant or not. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I'm in Drogheda years but none of those places meant anything to me! I am a blow in, even after 10 years! :D

I wouldn't be too hard on your self Purple cow!!!

Mildred's went in the 1980s. Fusciardis probably late 1980s?

Jumping Jacks and the Hot Pot probably early noughties. King's the same although time flies and you lose track.

Don't get me started on Snackmasters!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Ah, I was wondering that. Heard conflicting things about whether they were open as a restaurant or not. Shame.

The website.

http://richmondfort.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

furiousox wrote: »
    I miss Mildred's.

The grilled cheese sandwich! :D

Six of us were in Aisha's at the weekend.

Superb again. The food is delicious. The fish mezze was fantastic (go for the prawn dish).

My son had the kid's menu burger and chips. It was big enough for an adult and was excellent.

Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Six of us were in Aisha's at the weekend.

Superb again. The food is delicious. The fish mezze was fantastic (go for the prawn dish).

My son had the kid's menu burger and chips. It was big enough for an adult and was excellent.

Highly recommended!

I was in this weekend too, I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped :(
    The food was nice but not spectacular and the portion I got wasn't worth the €18 I paid for it sadly.
    Also we were sat at a table right near the door and it was freezing; I asked if we could be moved to another vacant table nearby and was told No - even though it sat empty for the whole time we were there!
    Service was incredibly slow, ordered tea just to warm up a bit when eating dessert and it took around 20 minutes to get.

Not the best experience; I would go again though as the reviews are normally so good, I think it was just an off night and I will try it again before I write it off.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I was in this weekend too, I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped :(
    The food was nice but not spectacular and the portion I got wasn't worth the €18 I paid for it sadly.
    Also we were sat at a table right near the door and it was freezing; I asked if we could be moved to another vacant table nearby and was told No - even though it sat empty for the whole time we were there!
    Service was incredibly slow, ordered tea just to warm up a bit when eating dessert and it took around 20 minutes to get.

Not the best experience; I would go again though as the reviews are normally so good, I think it was just an off night and I will try it again before I write it off.

What a pity BetsyEllen.

I noticed that it was on the slightly chilly side too. It's infuriating when restaurant staff won't move customers to a better table if it's free. It's a simple request to meet but leaves a lasting impression if handled badly.

I've always found the service to be excellent in Aisha's and friendly too. Hopefully, they will get it right next time for you.

• Advertisement

Im fond of my sat morning post training breakfast, any recommendations outside of these are welcome. I like my breakfast to not just be a standard fry that i could have thrown on myself at home. Even the slightest bit of effort is my only requirement!

kings - sausage wrap, this was delicious, i know what you're thinking, a sausage wrap? trust me, best breakfast i can remember having in the town, actually cant wait to go back

Salthouse - definitely one of the best places for breakfast, the guinness bread alone puts it ahead of most cafes

zuzu - my fave place for eggs benedict, simple but spot on

Both Relish - I remember not liking the eggs benedict in southgate although it may have been cause i opted for the one with spinach. I just had eggs and toast in the laurence st one which was grand. Must try something else.

Mooreland & blackbull - same as you'd get at home really, at least the mooreland is cheap. black bull does a good fruit & granola plate if youre into that kinda thing

Im fond of my sat morning post training breakfast, any recommendations outside of these are welcome. I like my breakfast to not just be a standard fry that i could have thrown on myself at home. Even the slightest bit of effort is my only requirement!

kings - sausage wrap, this was delicious, i know what you're thinking, a sausage wrap? trust me, best breakfast i can remember having in the town, actually cant wait to go back

Salthouse - definitely one of the best places for breakfast, the guinness bread alone puts it ahead of most cafes

zuzu - my fave place for eggs benedict, simple but spot on

Both Relish - I remember not liking the eggs benedict in southgate although it may have been cause i opted for the one with spinach. I just had eggs and toast in the laurence st one which was grand. Must try something else.

Mooreland & blackbull - same as you'd get at home really, at least the mooreland is cheap. black bull does a good fruit & granola plate if youre into that kinda thing

The Bare Food Café - their 'bare breakfast' is the best breakfast in Drogheda, trust me! And even better that's it's healthier than your normal fry. But it tastes nicer than a normal fry. It's my favourite treat.
    A bit chunk of turkey instead of a rasher, a chicken sausage, sweet potato and rosemary hash brown, grilled flat mushroom, poached egg and spicy beans that they make themselves. The beans are something else, I've tried recreating them at home but so far been unsuccessful in matching how tasty they are.
    You also get a big slice of bread with cranberries in it.

They have a normal fry on the menu but I honestly don't think anything could be better than the above, the flavour is amazing.
    Get a brownie to take home to have with a cuppa later.
    My mouth is watering now! :P

Relish @ Southgate do lovely French Toast with fruit and maple syrup. I order 2 sausages on the side and a cappuccino - heaven!

I read today that The Eastern Seaboard was voted one of the best 100 restaurants in Ireland.
    It was the only place in Louth on the list - pretty good achievement.

Hi Betsy, I did try the bare foods breakfast before, I like that its different and especially for those looking for something a bit healthier but as a fry I wasnt pushed. Must try it again. I hated the beans ha

I had breakfast at the eastern seaboard ages ago so I can't remember it but I've heard good things. It's a top restaurant though, the missus loves going there

Hi Betsy, I did try the bare foods breakfast before, I like that its different and especially for those looking for something a bit healthier but as a fry I wasnt pushed. Must try it again. I hated the beans ha

I had breakfast at the eastern seaboard ages ago so I can't remember it but I've heard good things. It's a top restaurant though, the missus loves going there

I had the ESB brekkie a while back, I remember it being fabulous but huge so I ended up leaving a lot (which is unlike me) so it was a waste of money!

And if you don't like the beans at the Bare Food then there's no point in trying again haha, the beans are what makes it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Since breakfast was mentioned, I have a recommendation that is not technically Drogheda, which is Sage and Stone near Duleek. I would go there a few times a year so as not to spoil the effect, but the quality of the breakfast is hard to beat. Perfectly cooked and very tasty, check it out some morning the next time you are at a loose end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone been in the Valley Inn recently?

Haven't been in a few years and was surprised at the improvement when we just stopped off there while passing for something to eat on Saturday

They've an 'early bird' menu that runs until closing. Nice grub I have to say. €20 for a starter and a main plus sides

Had black pudding and apple chutney followed by beer batter cod (which was really fresh too) and a side of gratin shpuds. Very happy overall.

It was almost 9pm when we went in so the place wasn't busy. Apparently last service is 9:15 which I thought was bit early.

Nice accommodating staff, one of the guys decided to have 3 starters rather than a main and the waitress knew to ask right away which one he wanted brought out while the rest of us had ours, which I thought was cool... you usually kinda need to spell it out when ordering starters in place of a main =)

They've done a great job on renovating the place too. Seriously nice. Will defo be returning

Haven't been in a few years and was surprised at the improvement when we just stopped off there while passing for something to eat on Saturday

They've an 'early bird' menu that runs until closing. Nice grub I have to say. €20 for a starter and a main plus sides

Had black pudding and apple chutney followed by beer batter cod (which was really fresh too) and a side of gratin shpuds. Very happy overall.

It was almost 9pm when we went in so the place wasn't busy. Apparently last service is 9:15 which I thought was bit early.

Nice accommodating staff, one of the guys decided to have 3 starters rather than a main and the waitress knew to ask right away which one he wanted brought out while the rest of us had ours, which I thought was cool... you usually kinda need to spell it out when ordering starters in place of a main =)

They've done a great job on renovating the place too. Seriously nice. Will defo be returning

I've never even heard of this place, where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

On the old road from Drogheda to dunleer . About a mile the northern side of donegans. It's a great spot.

I read today that The Eastern Seaboard was voted one of the best 100 restaurants in Ireland.
    It was the only place in Louth on the list - pretty good achievement.

Nice recognition for them although I looked at the list and there's some highly questionable inclusions/absentees on it.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    On the old road from Drogheda to dunleer . About a mile the northern side of donegans. It's a great spot.

Thanks, I must check it out sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Is there new owners? Used to go regularly until once my son got sausage and chips..asked for ketchup and it came out,at the bottom of the dish of ketchup was a bean.none of us had beans..it turned us right off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

My local, so a bit biased but taken over two years ago in april.

A total transformation in food,service,bar men etc

We eat here Regularly and im a fussy fecker but it is very good in either the Bar or main Restaurant.

The Owner is a people person unlike the last one and has his finger on the pulse.

Well worth a try and good for kids in either place.

Nice recognition for them although I looked at the list. Some highly questionable inclusions/absentees on it.

I looked at the list myself and agree that's its questionable. Then again, most lists are.

I don't rate the ESB at all. It's not even the best restaurant on that side of town. I think that I stopped reading the listing after I saw the words "excellent service"!

Overrated - yes; up there in the same list as Chapter One, Farmgate Cafe or Deasy's in Ring - no.

But life is about opinions!

what other restaurants in Drogheda would you say are as good as the ESB?

Only ones I can think of, maybe D'Vine or Aishas? I can't think of any on the same side of town

Only ones I can think of, maybe D'Vine or Aishas? I can't think of any on the same side of town

I've really gone off D'Vine lately, and I used to love it :(
    I've eaten twice there recently and felt very unwell immediately after on both occasions - could be a coincidence but it has put me off. Another lady that was in our group also had to leave straight after the restaurant as she had an upset tummy.

The Tapas is very basic, which is a shame as it's such a good deal they do and there's a fab atmosphere in the place.

Aisha's I didn't have a great experience with but I'm definitely going to try it again as all the reviews can't be wrong. Think I just caught them on a bad night.

Even thought ESB isn't perfect, I would rate it the best in Drogheda.

Also worth a mention is Sorrento's - bad service when I was there a couple of weeks ago but the food was seriously good and I'm looking forward to going back again. Also very cheap.
    Not on par with ESB by any means but definitely worth a visit for a cheep and cheerful meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I've really gone off D'Vine lately, and I used to love it :(
    I've eaten twice there recently and felt very unwell immediately after on both occasions - could be a coincidence but it has put me off. Another lady that was in our group also had to leave straight after the restaurant as she had an upset tummy.

Its approx 2 years or so since I last visited D'Vine, boy was I sick after it. I had a steak served on a wood board I vomited and had the runs for a few days I knew it was the steak or the wood board or a combination of both, these are very dangerous if their not cleaned and sanded after every meal especially red meat or chicken. The owner who I contacted was not one bit pleasant and actually told me I was making it up to ruin his trade. I was only letting him know that something was up at the time, I hadnt said anything to anyone but his attitude was appalling, I have not and will not be making a return.

Lots of restaurants use wooden boards now I highly doubt they are sanding them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Lots of restaurants use wooden boards now I highly doubt they are sanding them!

I wont be eating off another one..
    Q. How do I clean my heavy timber chopping board?

Immediately after each use, wooden chopping boards should be wiped down with a clean damp cloth to remove any remaining food debris
    The board must then be scrubbed using a scrubbing brush, hot water and detergent. Rinse and dry thoroughly
    To sanitise wooden chopping boards use either coarse salt, neat vinegar or diluted chlorine bleach (according to manufacturer’s instructions). If salt is used, spread it generously across the board and scrub. If using vinegar or chlorine bleach, cover the board in the solution and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Rinse off salt / solution and allow to air dry
    Make sure boards are thoroughly dry before storing as damp boards will support bacterial growth.

Ok maybe not sanding but do you reckon all of the above takes place in a D'Vine kitchen or any kitchen??

• Advertisement

I would say Aisha's is way better. West 29 and D'Vine are also better as I would say also are Corkscrew in Tullyallen and Scholars.

In addition, depending on the type of food as they are difficult to directly compare, I would rank Donegans, Triple House and Bru as being a better option.

I'm afraid that I would describe the ESB using a phrase that my Dad used to use ... "All mouth and no trousers!!".

Advertisement