Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why did you take the car today?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭

Right, after getting stuck in red cow madness and having to postpone a job to another day because I was going 1km every 20 minutes, I'm a bit stressed out. Something really has to be done about that traffic, I don't think the M50 will sort it, it's everywhere! I reckon open bus lanes to commercial vehicles, ban private vehicles from city centre, something, anything! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I took the car today because i work at the airport and its 51km's from my house to work.

I can't cycle.

It would take me ages to walk to work.

For ever on the bus and train as i work shift work.

No one else to car pool with so just little old me in the car.

Oh there is no easy quick fix to the traffic issues.

You have to force people to use public transport and the current fuel prices which i see rising may just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I have paid through the nose for use of my car and as a mode of transport in this country for me and the journeys I do it is the most reliable and quickest available and I think this for me will continue to be so for the near future. I have no intention of limiting my travel or switching to our backward public transport. When petrol gets to €3 a litre or when I am tolled off the road then I will consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Had to go to Donegal and Dundalk from Dublin ( Great weather in Donegal today, pleasure to drive on the open mountain roads) and back.

People look at me now and say ouch look at the price of your diesel.

Then i say well i only have a 55 litre tank that i can only ever get 51 litres in max and my fuel consumption is 25% better than yours so i'm still golden compared to you.

One guy in work pays €75 to fill his 2.5 Lexus and gets less than 500k's out of it.

It costs me only €60 and i get 800k's from mine.

So it will be a very very very long time till i change my mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I take the car to college most days because:
    • I hate waiting on public transport, also I hate being on public transport
    • It annoys the eco-mentalists in my class and also the lecturers when we discuss these matters, I'm studying Town Planning btw
    • It's quicker
    • People on the bus can be headwrecking
    • It's more convienient for shopping etc.
    • It's a ready made excuse to avoid after college pints that turn into 3 day benders with homeless people and crossdressing, although that was a good night now that I think about it :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

because of the train "drivers".

I much prefer to get the train and walk. It takes about the same amount of time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭cormie

deRanged wrote: »
    because of the train "drivers".

I much prefer to get the train and walk. It takes about the same amount of time too.

Oh was that strike today? Maybe that's why it was so bad? I don't go that road too often thank funk.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I take the car to college most days because:
    • I hate waiting on public transport, also I hate being on public transport
    • It annoys the eco-mentalists in my class and also the lecturers when we discuss these matters, I'm studying Town Planning btw
    • It's quicker
    • People on the bus can be headwrecking
    • It's more convienient for shopping etc.
    • It's a ready made excuse to avoid after college pints that turn into 3 day benders with homeless people and crossdressing, although that was a good night now that I think about it :D:D

Have to say it Bloody students!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Then i say well i only have a 55 litre tank that i can only ever get 51 litres in max and my fuel consumption is 25% better than yours so i'm still golden compared to you.

One guy in work pays €75 to fill his 2.5 Lexus and gets less than 500k's out of it.

40miles to gallon, what you driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

# People on the bus can be headwrecking

so true. bus i was on today was full of skangers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I took the car today as I'd have needed to leave my house at 6:40 for a 7am train to get in reliably, whereas I sauntered to my car at 8am and had time to stop and get the paper and a coronary-in-a-baguette on the way in. Return tram+train would have had me home about 7:30pm, I was back in the door at 6:15

Plus the fuel was less than the tickets. This is due to the Dublin transport networking being hub/spoke and not radial - I need to head to the dead centre of the city to change modes...

Volvo 2.0d but I'm slightly hard on the acceleration at times. Must do an experiment and see how much i can actually get out of a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Where you buying your derv Bazz, good price 117 cent these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Had to go to the doctors for a minor procedure and it was raining:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I took it out today simply because after what I paid for it I would hate to see it just lying there :D

Nah,
    Honestly
    I need it as a fomr of transport due to medical issues :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I travell 35 miles to work and 35 miles back and i aint gonna rely on public transport or anybody else to get me to where i need to go to make a living, unfortunatly thats life

Where you buying your derv Bazz, good price 117 cent these days

Sorry should have said that was a couple of weeks ago at €1.25 or so for the max i get is 50litres into the tank. Going to fill it know will tell you shortly how much it costs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't wait for next month when the driving licence laws become enforced!
    Loads of cars off the road - woohoo!

Just got it for 136.9 in Enfield.

Computer said 100k's left.

Cost me €59.70 for 43.5 litres.

So maybe €72 for a full tank if it would take another 10 litres which i doubt.

His Lexus at the Garages prices would take €82.50 to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I cycle everywhere, almost free, no traffic and loads of exercise:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Took the car to go to work 20 miles away in Dundalk.

No public transport what so ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cormie wrote: »
    Right, after getting stuck in red cow madness and having to postpone a job to another day because I was going 1km every 20 minutes, I'm a bit stressed out. Something really has to be done about that traffic, I don't think the M50 will sort it, it's everywhere! I reckon open bus lanes to commercial vehicles, ban private vehicles from city centre, something, anything! :(

It was desperate. feckin white vans everywhere thinking they own the place:mad:

Cars should be allowed use the bus van lanes as well.:D

kluivert wrote: »
    Took the car to go to work 20 miles away in Dundalk.

No public transport what so ever.

Thats a huge problem. No public transport options for a lot of people. I live beside a rail line and the service is poor mainly aimed at those who commute for 9-5 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I took the car today to enjoy it while i still can....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

80 mile round trip commute, no direct bus link, no combination of road and/or rail public transport would get me into the office by 8.15, and I've just installed a new stereo! And I still only spent an hour and a half travelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i know which i'd prefer to be driving :)

(not the volvo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I took the car out today because it's much easier to kill cute puppies and kittens and little baby lambs by driving over them than by using the plank with the nails through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

2 Get 2 Work

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Bus costs more and is uncomfortable and it means walking in rain for a period. Hate giving Bus Eireann 1.45 for a each way when it costs me about 2 euro max for the petrol to get there and i get to leave at the time I want and when it is more viable.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    i know which i'd prefer to be driving :)

(not the volvo).

Thats why I'm changing at the end of the year getting bored with it its over 3 years old.

Advertisement