Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Become A Taxi-Driver In Ireland?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Who do I apply to, how much does it cost, how long will it take to qualify how much can I expect to earn etc etc etc.

Many thanks indeed for anyhelp with this!!:cool:

PS I am an Irish Citizen.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As far as I know certain criminal records may prevent you from getting a PSV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    You are expected to have a great knowledge of all current affairs and of course an opinion on every single one of them ;)

There was a thread on expected salaries for taxi drivers in motor forums about two months if you search. Very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

micmclo wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    You are expected to have a great knowledge of all current affairs and of course an opinion on every single one of them ;)

There was a thread on expected salaries for taxi drivers in motor forums about two months if you search. Very interesting

Cheers for your help buddy. I'll check that out. Thanks again!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Well I worked seven hours last night. I earned €30. Three fares and one no-show.

€30 divided by seven = €4.28 an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You could checkout a taxi website such as

www.irishtaxidrivers.com

theres an FAQ on there, but as far as the questions on here

You DON'T need to be an Irish Citizen as long as you are entitled to work here.

As to how much can you earn, get the required pieces of paper ( SPSV License, Tax Clearence Cert, Garda background check etc., hire a taxi or plate up a car as a taxi, get out there and try it, then come back here and tell us how you did.

Much better than me telling you that I earned less than minimum wage after expenses or your mate in the pub telling you about a mate of his that earned €1000 for Fri/Sat night..

Best of luck whichever way you decide to jump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'm not sure it's a great time to be getting in the taxi business. Every taxi driver you talk to these days are complaining about poor pay/saturation of taxi-drivers. Or maybe they where always complaining?

No, I didn't always complain. I did okay when I started three years ago. Despite my generally critical comments on the boards, I don't usually complain, I get on with things. But €4.28 an hour would seem to me to be a sign that something is wrong somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

HydeRoad wrote: »
    No, I didn't always complain. I did okay when I started three years ago. Despite my generally critical comments on the boards, I don't usually complain, I get on with things. But €4.28 an hour would seem to me to be a sign that something is wrong somewhere.

Yes they're should be a cap on numbers now I think. It does not seem fair on guys that have been in the game a long time and now not enough business for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yes they're should be a cap on numbers now I think. It does not seem fair on guys that have been in the game a long time and now not enough business for everybody
    thank you mfitzy atleast someone out there like us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

The current situation is a good example of free market operation. As long as there's decent money to be made more people will come into the taxi market, and when the saturation gets to the point that fellas can't make a living at it they'll get out of it and do something else. Therefore providing the maximum availability to consumers rather than the situation a few years ago, when numbers were capped, that customers couldn't get a taxi for love or money at peak periods.

Ideally the current situation would encourage part-timers to come into the business at peak times (e.g. Saturday night) and thus further increasing availabilty for customers.

Don't whinge about the poor returns, if you're not happy with the money you're making go do something else. If you're job prospects are poor go and follow the example of the foreigners ye like to complain about so much by migrating to somewhere with better prospects.

Nobody owes you a living.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The current situation is a good example of free market operation. As long as there's decent money to be made more people will come into the taxi market, and when the saturation gets to the point that fellas can't make a living at it they'll get out of it and do something else. Therefore providing the maximum availability to consumers rather than the situation a few years ago, when numbers were capped, that customers couldn't get a taxi for love or money at peak periods.

Ideally the current situation would encourage part-timers to come into the business at peak times (e.g. Saturday night) and thus further increasing availabilty for customers.

Don't whinge about the poor returns, if you're not happy with the money you're making go do something else. If you're job prospects are poor go and follow the example of the foreigners ye like to complain about so much by migrating to somewhere with better prospects.

All this from a student/bum/parasite !!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Nobody owes anybody a living indeed, but as a passenger you do need to bear in mind that if the industry does not auger a living for those that work in it and they leave, you as a punter will wait longer for your lift home in the long run. Given the current ease to enter the trade, you will see more new entrants as time passes; the turnover of bodies in the trade may shock you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Nobody owes anybody a living indeed, but as a passenger you do need to bear in mind that if the industry does not auger a living for those that work in it and they leave,

That's fine. Capping will not help. People will work as drivers if it is profitable, they won't if it isn't. As people leave, it will get profitable for those who stay. If more come, earnings will reduce. I reckon this is exactly how the government want it to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

The current situation is a good example of free market operation.

Surely in a free market operation the suppliers would be allowed to lower their price in order to attract business? That's not the case in the taxi industry sa far as I can tell. The only real way a taxi driver can get more money while picking up less fares it to downgrade his/her vechile or let it fall into desrepair. Neither of these is good for the customer at the end of the day.

sharkman wrote: »
    All this from a student/bum/parasite !!!;)

Ah now that wasn't nice, he's got a job as a trainee accountant now ya know, now your taxes can contribute towards someone elses educashun..

But I love the flawed thinking of lets have loads of part time drivers to meet my demand on Saturday night after I've been on the razz but feck everyone else during the week, sure nobody does anything the other 6 nights to warrant a taxi service, and they can always use the bus in an emergency..

Because here's the news, at this rate I will be applying for a job in Tescos, Woodies, B&Q or where ever and feck the taxi trade midweek I'll supply my taxi service at weekends ( during the daytime, so no gain to you there!! ) to make up a few extra bob for holidays and things....

SteM wrote: »
    Surely in a free market operation the suppliers would be allowed to lower their price in order to attract business? That's not the case in the taxi industry sa far as I can tell.

Some companies don't charge the €2 callout fee when you book a taxi by phone. Fair play to them!

SteM wrote: »
    Surely in a free market operation the suppliers would be allowed to lower their price in order to attract business? That's not the case in the taxi industry sa far as I can tell. The only real way a taxi driver can get more money while picking up less fares it to downgrade his/her vechile or let it fall into desrepair. Neither of these is good for the customer at the end of the day.

Not quite right, the driver may discount the fare if he wants, however to return to your statement " in a Free Market " The market is as you say not free because if it were at times of peak demand Saturday Nights, Bank Holiday Sundays etc. we would be able to charge more ( supply and demand ) but the fares are capped at the rate set and calculated by the meter

micmclo wrote: »
    Some companies don't charge the €2 callout fee when you book a taxi by phone. Fair play to them!

That is up to a driver to charge, not a radio company.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    That's fine. Capping will not help. People will work as drivers if it is profitable, they won't if it isn't. As people leave, it will get profitable for those who stay. If more come, earnings will reduce. I reckon this is exactly how the government want it to run.

Paul, some element of capping would be beneficial in order to help the market to settle down and for the Taxi Regulator, drivers and policy makers to observe and actually decide on a longer term strategy to control and legislate the market more firmly. As it is, there is over 300 additional cabs coming onto the road each month, excluding drivers who have moved out of the market and sold on their plate and/or car; it is very hard to plan any personal long term investment in the game with so much more competition joining the road day by day; competition that even the Regulator can't offer an up to date accurate figure of!!

A cap of some shape would serve to placate those who work in the trade that their trading position would be a little more secure for the short term and may allow them to invest their time and money into their trade. Next year sees a mandatory age limit on cars (Which is a good thing, let me add), compulsory first aid training is on the way (I'd be expecting these courses to cost circa €300) as is disability awareness training. Regardless of the good or bad of all of these, the driver is the one who will cough up for all of this and in a recession hit Ireland, one wonders where this will all be paid from.

• Advertisement

Hamndegger wrote: »
    That is up to a driver to charge, not a radio company.

True, but kind of a pedantic point
    The company advertises that its drivers don’t charge the callout fee so.

All these amateur economists are wonderful. They hit the nail on the head, if there are too many taxis, some will leave, and the free market will find it's level.

Except for one thing.

It's the Mercedes and Lexus and other decent, expensive cars that are disappearing. It's the precious few wheelchair cars that are disappearing. It's the knowledgeable and committed and proud drivers who are disappearing.

It's the 97s, 98s and 99s that are staying. The Corollas, the Astras, the Skoda Fabias. The drivers who don't even know southside from northside, who pull up at the rank in Dundrum, and shout out the window, "Where am I???" and whose sole standard of service is a sat nav.

We are getting our free market. And we are getting the sharp drop in standards that goes with an unbridled free market.

HydeRoad wrote: »
    All these amateur economists are wonderful. They hit the nail on the head, if there are too many taxis, some will leave, and the free market will find it's level.

Except for one thing.

It's the Mercedes and Lexus and other decent, expensive cars that are disappearing. It's the precious few wheelchair cars that are disappearing. It's the knowledgeable and committed and proud drivers who are disappearing.

It's the 97s, 98s and 99s that are staying. The Corollas, the Astras, the Skoda Fabias. The drivers who don't even know southside from northside, who pull up at the rank in Dundrum, and shout out the window, "Where am I???" and whose sole standard of service is a sat nav.

We are getting our free market. And we are getting the sharp drop in standards that goes with an unbridled free market.

Evening Herald tonight

Taxis for Sale include
    07 Merc Vito
    03 Mondeo
    06 Kia Sedona
    07 Toyota Avenis

Now these are getting out of the business or getting rid of their decent motors for what reason? To upgrade to even better motors, unlikely! They can't meet the repayments on them, probably!
    The reason for all this because the public still aren't listening to us when we tell them it's NOT a FREE market with prices,supply and demand finding their own levels....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Folks, I'm six years driving a taxi. The first four years were ok, making a living and paying the bills etc. The last year the reality is that I'm not even making the minimum wage anymore and the water is up to my lips. On top of that the regulators office has the neck to ask the public if taxi fares should become even cheaper. That's some feat to come out of the mouth of overpaid senior civil servants. As it is taxi fares are lagging nearly two years behind inflation and never mind nearly 100% fuel inflation over the last year.

In the last couple of weeks I've fired of six or seven job applications. I'm determined to get out of this, I've a level 8 qualification and I should be able to do better than staying on a ship where shortly only the rats are going to be left.

Open your eyes for a minit folks when you're staggering out of the pub and club on a saturday night. The only thing I can see is the standard of cars declining week by week and the standard of drivers even more so. For feck's sake there's muppets sleeping on ranks while standing for hire, blatantly not displaying ID's, tearing down the down the road cutting up eachother in cars that have about enough rubber for one tyre never mind four for a fiver around the corner. Free market my arse, if it was a free market I'd be able to charge you 80 Euro from Harcourt Street to Stepaside at three in the morning on a saturday while I could charge you 15 Euro for the same journey on a Tuesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 taxi123

Hi All,

Does anyone know whats involved in this new driver skills development programme which is being developed by the taxi regulator ?

From what date do us taxi drivers need to sit the exam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

Hi
    can anyone tell me when i will get the test as i applied for my test in june and have not heard anything yet?

thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

finno wrote: »
    Hi
    can anyone tell me when i will get the test as i applied for my test in june and have not heard anything yet?

thanks

Dublin, it's between 3-5 months depending on how many tests are scheduled in the exam blocks. You won't get word out until you are called up for your test so don't sit on tenterhooks just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

thanks mate

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

Advertisement