Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hackney/taxi driver - how to become one?

Options
  • 16-03-2006 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what you need to do to become either of the above?
    Is there a special qualification? I've tried googling and can't make head nor tail of the info.
    I know a hackney works for a cab company and a taxi driver is self employed, but there's all sorts of stuff about licences, plates etc - it'd be great if someone could explain what an ordinary owner driver of a decent car needs to do to get started.

Thanks a mil
    Goffie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

first of all ya need to get the taxi license which is pgv or something. to pass the test in dublin from talking to taxi drivers u pretty much need to know ur way around the city and best routes to get to locations. when being tested they do theory and practical exams afaik (someone correct me if im wrong). there is a place in town that does courses in passing the test. they charge around 300€ for the course, but will only charge u once for it. if u failed they will let u resit the course at no extra charge.

plates have gone down in price since the deregulation of taxi driver and cost around €6000 to buy. then insurance + meter + radio usually rented from a base company.

this information may not be fully accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks Rik!
    Is that a PSV (small public service) licence? (just heard that from our van driver in work.
    I'd be looking for one in Wicklow (Bray) so would I do the test in the usual driver testing centre...and would I be waiting for 9 months as is the case with your usual licence?
    Seems it's cheaper to start with to hackney it - you don't have to lash out €6000 for plates.
    It's all a bit confusing, and then as a taxi-driver you'd have to do your own tax returns, wouldn't you?
    Anyone have any experience or know someone in the business who can advise me further?
    Cheers
    Goffie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jason74

please write back.
    first of all ya need to get the taxi license which is pgv or something. to pass the test in dublin from talking to taxi drivers u pretty much need to know ur way around the city and best routes to get to locations. when being tested they do theory and practical exams afaik (someone correct me if im wrong). there is a place in town that does courses in passing the test. they charge around 300€ for the course, but will only charge u once for it. if u failed they will let u resit the course at no extra charge.

plates have gone down in price since the deregulation of taxi driver and cost around €6000 to buy. then insurance + meter + radio usually rented from a base company.

this information may not be fully accurate
    do u know any names of the test center..?/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 psv driver

sum info that mite help u..im in the process of applying for a taxi/hackney licence myself....first thing u need to do is get a tax clearance cert from the tax office/revenue office...then get the forms for a psv licence( small public service vehicle) of ur local garda station then u need 3photos 4x3 off ur head and shoulders...then u need to get a medical cert from ur gp/doctor the u need a copy of ur LONG BIRTH CERT....once u have all this u then hand it into ur local garda station and they do a back ground check on u to c if u have any criminal record...once they give u the all clear ur forms get sent off to dublin castle who in turn send u out a date for ur test u have to sit...this test is to test u on ur knolage of dublin or weather ur from r were ever ur gona drive ur taxi or hackni cab...u can do a 1 day coarse on the test it costs around 300euro to do...i recomend u do it..they ahve a 99% sucess rate on passing..ther is currently around a 6-8 month waiting list to do the test...i recomend u study raey hard 4 it as if u fail ull have to wait the same amount of time again...hope this has answered ur questions for u...good luck with the test:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭TeenageKicks

Hello

I have a question on this, if you have an old public order offence and a very old driving disqualification does that mean you cannot get a taxi liscence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

a very old driving disqualification does that mean you cannot get a taxi liscence?

In theory I'd say yes but in practice I doubt it makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

could someone please once more list all the expenses for starting out as a hackney, as opposed to a taxi.
    like, how low can you go? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Not been funny here but the dogs on the street know the Taxi Business is on its knees.Why would anyone want to buy a taxi i have one for a few years now and the business is gone no one is getting taxis anymore.On a sat night there is a one hour window for business and thats it. Your looking in the Bray area /Dublin so you will need two licences.Do yourself a favor go into town and look around sit and watch the ranks time how long it takes the last car to get to the top of the rank and get a fare,i think you might change your mind.

And if you really dont belive me dont buy but rent a car for a month or so and then thank me for not letting you waist your money.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Trying renting for a few weeks before making an investment

I know City Cabs let people rent as I lived near their office in Drumcondra and saw their godawful ugly yellow cabs around.

My uncle has a hackney in rural Co. Offaly and does well from locals and repeat business. In a rural area you're screwed without a car so a local hackney can get business at any hour, any day!
    Drink driving ban is a factor too, no nitelinks or public transport.

But as for Wicklow & Dublin? You're competing with thousands and thousands of drivers. Good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

My uncle has a hackney in rural Co. Offaly and does well from locals and repeat business. In a rural area you're screwed without a car so a local hackney can get business at any hour, any day!
    Drink driving ban is a factor too, no nitelinks or public transport.

I have a Taxi and live in a small country village it has two pubs in it and the locals will still not use the service.Iv tried knock down prices of 3euro each to bring them home and still the drink and drive.I used to agree with what i used to hear, people who live so far away from towns no public transport etc etc .Rubbish if only they would clamp down on drink driving i could offer a service to the comunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

wouldn't it make more sense to drive around, instead of waiting at the rank?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

unless you're going local/rural I wouldn't bother.

Dublin is like that carlsberg ad with the line of taxis outside the pub.

I now see taxis parked outside pubs in the hopes that someone will fall out of the place and need a cab. I was in the city mid week and had a taxi pull up, just on the off chance i needed one.

I'd question the wisdom of your move if you're going to try it in dublin city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Hi

I just have a quick question. I am thinking of doing taxi work part-time and letting my father do it full-time as he is currently unemployed. Am I correct in thinking if both me and my father obtain a SPSV driver licence each we can operate on the same car with one SPSV vehicle licence?

Thanks in advance
    MrPoker

Advertisement