Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Worth it?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hey guys maybe this isn't the right place to post this question but I'm considering by a Wi-fi card/internet boosters JUST for Eve and I'm wondering if it is worth it. I have been seriously considering it but is it worth it? By the looks of it it looks fantastic but I thought it would be worth asking the boards community

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Well I can't really answer your question for certain as I don't use wireless internet myself. However, in my experience Eve doesn't take all that much bandwidth to play, and most lag in the game is due to the server side because some big battle is happening near you. I won't make any recommendations to you, but I would suggest trying it without boosters and stuff first if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Maddzy wrote: »
    most lag in the game is due to the server side

Nothing beyond a bare minimum broadband internet connection is neccessary for Eve in my experience. I use a fairly dodgy wireless connection and have no trouble. I can't play first person shooter games on it because its so unstable but Eve seems to have some real nice net code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Is the Game worth it I haven't tried it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

get the 15 day free trial and find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Well you don't get to do any of the fun stuff on the 14 day trial though mate. Its not until you been playing some months that the game really starts to open up to you in what you can do.

• Advertisement

I might as well give it a go.

What kind of specs would my PC need to have run this?

Its not a high spec game. Theres classic graphics that you can use that still look good, its what i use because i need the fps. But if you have a nice new powerful computer you could use premium graphics and all the trimmings. For example i'm using a Geforce 6800 graphics card still and i get 70-80 fps in fights normally which is more than enough.

1GB of ram
    256MD Geforce 7300GS
    3GHz Duo core processor
    Don't know much about computers but from of pretty much every newish game I've played I can tell this isn't great

Those specs are more than good enough to play eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Keggers wrote: »
    1GB of ram
    256MD Geforce 7300GS
    3GHz Duo core processor
    Don't know much about computers but from of pretty much every newish game I've played I can tell this isn't great
    A friend of mine plays eve on a pc worse then that its not gonna be good for the highest spec of eve but it will still run smoothly

1GB of ram
    3GHz Duo core processor

Investing in a 3GHz Dual Core and only having 1GB of ram is a bit like hosting an expensive wedding and then only serving McDonalds. Get a second gig of ram, preferably nice fast ram. You don't need it for Eve but for everything else its totally worth it.

It was a birthday present

I hear that if you get a computer as a present you can never put more ram in it, c/d?

Just saying that I didn't get to chose my own parts. I'm going to get the trial on sat and give it a go

Right if I'm going to get into Eve I want to know everything there is to know about payment details,how game hours work etc. So to start off should I just go and by all the expansions or would I be wasting my money? And if I get the 14 day trial would I be able to carry on my character from that?

Every expansion is free mate, this isn't your typical mmo cashcow. You get every single new release and major content update free. On the trial character thing, yes you can continue with him but i guarentee you'll probs make mistakes with attributes on creation so you'll probs make a new character anyway. For example i play eve for pvp yet i have awful willpower and perception so my combat skills take longer to train. :(

As said, all updates and stuff are free. The server runs 23 hours a day, with one hour of downtime at 11AM GMT (thats noon in Ireland).

I strongly strongly reccomend you do two things:
    - Google around for some guides on how to make a decent character.
    - Get into a 0.0 alliance as soon as you can, the player versus player angle of Eve is the most fun.

0.0 of course being the no-holes bared no-NPC security areas of the game.

How do the days work? Is like after 30 it runs out or do you have to PLAY 30 before you have to pay again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Its 30 days pure and simple, accounts only go inactive after the next DT when your account time runs out, so if your account is ment to run out @ 23:25 or something your account will be active for a further 11 hours 35 minutes until downtime. Just remember Eve is on GMT time, and atm Ireland is on GMT +1 :D

• Advertisement

Right I'm getting my head around this now. I think. I'll let you guys know how I get on with the trial

By the way just say I pick the Caldari can I fly Gallente ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

By the way just say I pick the Caldari can I fly Gallente ships?

Yep, you dont have the skills at the start but you can learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Caldari Achura if youre a min-maxer, no matter what race of ships you want to fly. Charisma is the most useless attribute in the game and they have it the lowest possible. Which means every other useful attribute is higher \0/

What the hell is a min-maxer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Gamestyle/strategy - minimise downsides, maximise upsides from character creation on...

I.E - putting all the points you can into a useless attribute like Charisma is not min-maxing.

I get it now. By the way I've started the trial will by having a fly about tonight!:D:D:D:D:D That's if it works on my laptop (not the Pc I will play the full game on)

Sand wrote: »
    Caldari Achura if youre a min-maxer

Achura character crew checking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Pisses me off :p theres folks that started a year behind me.. and ive only like 2 mill more sp than they do :mad:

To reiterate tho.. once your playing.. get into the IRISH channel..

boards_irish_tutorial.png

boards_irish_tutorial1.png

boards_irish_tutorial2.png

• Advertisement

Mamo wrote:
    brosef

Heh.

Advertisement