Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vegetable oil

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Price of a bag of chips is going to go up .:(
    Nah...they just won't be as greasy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The price of a bag o chips should come done in theory (but it'll never happen as well all know!)

reason being is that the chipper will now get to sell off it old used oil, thus make money from it - before they had to dispose of it themselves..........now in this new eco friendly age, its going to be of some value to them and a small revenue stream.

Price of a bag of chips is going to go up now two.:rolleyes:
    I hate it when the hippies are right.:(

there there, nobody likes it

mondeo wrote: »
    Highest I have heard so far

Topaz Lucan village, Ive seen 1.39 in Maynooth so its an unusual price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You don't have to change the seals for PPO. You need to change them if you want to run on Biodiesel.

If you run a car older than 1993, otherwise you dont have to do anything:

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/Materials_Compatibility.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If you run a car older than 1993, otherwise you dont have to do anything
    Thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You don't have to change the seals for PPO. You need to change them if you want to run on Biodiesel.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2004136_vegetable-oil-fuel.html Yes you do need to change the seals when using veg oil as the fuel pump is under more pressure pumping thicker oil as a result it pumps faster putting pressure on the seals.

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Ref. the seals - Is this expensive to do? do you think that with a bosch fuel pump, and swapping the seals - if I decide to buy this diesel for small money .ie 1500 euro (00 seat inca 1.9D with 120k miles), its worth the punt without the expense of conversion??

Conversion right now just cannot be justified as far as i can see..
    It isn't expensive to change the seals. The labour is the biggest cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Thinning the oil out with the use of petrol is what some guys are doing, or with the use of keroscene, would that not prevent having to change all the oil seals?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2004136_vegetable-oil-fuel.html Yes you do need to change the seals when using veg oil as the fuel pump is under more pressure pumping thicker oil as a result it pumps faster putting pressure on the seals.
    Not a word about pump pressures in that article. And the asserton in that article that vegetable oil acts as a solvent for rubber is not true. It's Biodiesel which solves rubber.

mondeo wrote: »
    Thinning the oil out with the use of petrol is what some guys are doing, or with the use of keroscene, would that not prevent having to change all the oil seals?
    Again, if you have rubber seals, you only need to change them if you want to run on Biodiesel. PPO does NOT act as a rubber sovent.

• Advertisement

Again, if you have rubber seals, you only need to change them if you want to run on Biodiesel. PPO does NOT act as a rubber sovent.
    Are you running a diesel car with ppo as you seem very sure that ppo doesn't damage seals? Could you print a link to back up your statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Drive an 04 mondeao chia tdci put 50 euro a week in used to 35 to 40 . will putting a third veggie oil with some additave like redex work:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

:confused:
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    Are you running a diesel car with ppo as you seem very sure that ppo doesn't damage seals? Could you print a link to back up your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Just to clarify again, the solvent question is entirely irrelevant for the vast majority of cars on the road as they are newer than 15years old (1993).

Does anyone have a link to a complete bio diesel filtering kit? Curious as to what it costs for a complete kit.

How easy is it to secure supply? What are most fast food businesses doing with their waste oil at the moment??

Thanks for that. Made for interesting reading.

How difficult is it to secure waste veggie oil supply? Are most take aways/restaurants already having it collected by someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

babyjames wrote: »
    Drive an 04 mondeao chia tdci put 50 euro a week in used to 35 to 40 . will putting a third veggie oil with some additave like redex work:confused:

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Whats the story with tax and duty? If you get dipped by customs and are running on veg oil will you not get fined for not having paid duty on yout fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Being caught running on veg oil without having proof that you paid for the necessary conversion is the same as running on agri diesel. Also, PPO supplier would not sell me oil without copy of invoice for conversion. He also recorded reg number of vehicle. I'm looking forward to being dipped and see how it goes..

• Advertisement

Jomcc wrote: »
    Being caught running on veg oil without having proof that you paid for the necessary conversion is the same as running on agri diesel.
    My understanding was that they will ask for receipts as their interest in it is if you have paid duty?
    They have no interest in whether vehicle has conversion or otherwise as SVO or biodiesel are legitimate fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

I was of the opinion that I did not pay duty........and the supplier was only allwed to sell it to me without duty if I could show him receipt that kit had been purchased. I'd love to see the actual position written down in black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

i heard adding a small drop of white spirits per fill keeps d engine running better, youtube top gear and veg fuel, they ran a car on it. I know a lad dat runs a car on used veg oil frm chippers etc n car seems 2 b running grand, its a low 90's vw jetta, i know of him for couple of years and hes had same car so his engine must be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Careful of the down the pub tales...........LOL - These stories are great......i know a lad........and i see him @ mass the odd time.......he drives a 1992 golf and runs it on cow manure blah blah blah blah

Advertisement