Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Day in Court - what to do

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I'd recommend going with ART, you've admitted here on an open forum that you have done the deed, you got the letter and now there is a discussion/debate about the possibility of committing perjury to get off. Go to court, give your humble apology to the court and the Guard and promise not to do it again. Go off in silence and hope that is the end of it. Remember you can be identified here by your IP Address and if you piss off the Guard enough for wasting his time and make him look stupid, then he will follow it up. I know I would, I'm vindictive like that.
    Pay up, take your punishment and get on with your life. It could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

IRemember you can be identified here by your IP Address and if you piss off the Guard enough for wasting his time and make him look stupid, then he will follow it up. I know I would, I'm vindictive like that.

HA HAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ...

CSI ... Ballintemple .. lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd recommend going with ART, you've admitted here on an open forum that you have done the deed, you got the letter and now there is a discussion/debate about the possibility of committing perjury to get off. Go to court, give your humble apology to the court and the Guard and promise not to do it again. Go off in silence and hope that is the end of it. Remember you can be identified here by your IP Address and if you piss off the Guard enough for wasting his time and make him look stupid, then he will follow it up. I know I would, I'm vindictive like that.

Considering:
    1. Thousands of people say they never got the summons every year
    2: There OP hasn't provided any proof of who he is
    3: This isn't a TV show

The above situation is not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mickdw wrote: »
    The "never got the fine" argument is certain to get you off. Courts are aware of it and the original judge had strong words for the government on the stupid system they are using for posting out the offences. A new postal system is soon to be trialed to fix the problem. I think it is a system where you have to sign for it while still not being as secure as registered post so it should be cheaper to operate.
    Judge will have to let you off but ask a solicitor to satisfy yourself.

No, no,no.

There is at least one documented case (it may even have been discussed on this forum) of a judge coming down hard on the defence "I never got the fine in the post" when he heard it several times in one morning. He may even have requested evidence the defendant had ever complained to an post for post not received, and observed the convenience that the only post never delivered was penalty points :rolleyes:

nipplenuts wrote: »
    No, no,no.

There is at least one documented case (it may even have been discussed on this forum) of a judge coming down hard on the defence "I never got the fine in the post" when he heard it several times in one morning. He may even have requested evidence the defendant had ever complained to an post for post not received, and observed the convenience that the only post never delivered was penalty points :rolleyes:

If you never got the letter then how are you supposed to complain to An Post about it ?

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    If you never got the letter then how are you supposed to complain to An Post about it ?

Any letter! Ever. Phone bill, electricity bill, birthday card. Just evidence there was ever a problem getting post at your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Any letter! Ever. Phone bill, electricity bill, birthday card. Just evidence there was ever a problem getting post at your address.

Its doesnt matter!!!

The onus is on the prosecution that they can prove 100% that you received the fine in the first place not on you to proce you didnt receive it!

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Its doesnt matter!!!

The onus is on the prosecution that they can prove 100% that you received the fine in the first place not on you to proce you didnt receive it!

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/frontpage/claimed-he-did-not-get-fine-in-post-1356498.html

Yeh, i sent them a complaint alright .. but they must of lost that too :p

They did a survey on this and found that the mail was sent out??? Interesting one that.

If I was in that guys case i would have appealed and won that decision end of story. The judge made a lot of assumptions rather than following the letter of the law in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

If I was in that guys case i would have appealed and won that decision end of story.

This was in the District Court, so you'd have to appeal to the Circuit court. You need a barrister for that, say €5000 for a day, plus your solicitor's fees. I'm sure your cunning plan won't fail a second time, though.

Zube wrote: »
    This was in the District Court, so you'd have to appeal to the Circuit court. You need a barrister for that, say €5000 for a day, plus your solicitor's fees. I'm sure your cunning plan won't fail a second time, though.

My partner is a solicitor some of my closest friends are barristers, my fees wouldnt cost me a penny!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Being stopped by a Guard for speeding (or mobile phone in your link) is different. At that point, you should be expecting something in the post.

If you are caught by a gatso you don't know about it and therefore aren't expecting a fine in the post.

stevec wrote: »
    Being stopped by a Guard for speeding (or mobile phone in your link) is different. At that point, you should be expecting something in the post.

If you are caught by a gatso you don't know about it and therefore aren't expecting a fine in the post.

The point is...............the judge is not accepting "lost in the post" as an excuse, given the frequency (90% quoted in the story) it is offered. You don't have to be expecting it for it to turn up.

My partner is a solicitor some of my closest friends are barristers, my fees wouldnt cost me a penny!

I've a friend who is a solicitor too. She works Herbert Square/Leeson park area, and I'm pretty sure she knows some barristers too! Never makes a difference in costs though.,:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The point is...............the judge is not accepting "lost in the post" as an excuse, given the frequency (90% quoted in the story) it is offered. You don't have to be expecting it for it to turn up.

It the case you linked, it's not clear if whether it was a fixed penalty notice or a summons that got "lost".

In the case of a fixed penalty notice, the legislation states that the accused must be afforded a chance to pay the fixed penalty before proceedings can be issued. The defence being used is that the accused was not afforded the chance to pay the FPN as it didn't arrive in the post. The state is not in a position to provide evidence that it was received (or even posted) so the case fails.

The other part of it is that once a judgement is made like this a precedent is set and so a different judge hearing an identical case with identical defence and identical lack of evidence *cannot* come to a different decision.

This is a loophole in the legislation that needs to be fixed either by using registered post or changing the law. I suspect they will fix this when the leglislation covering outsourcing speed tax cameras is brought in.

Until then, I would not feel the slightest bit guilty taking advantage of the governments lawmaking ineptitude.

stevec wrote: »
    Until then, I would not feel the slightest bit guilty taking advantage of the governments lawmaking ineptitude.

Translation: Will lie under oath for €200.

Who said anything about lying under oath? When this kind of thing is heard in court it never gets to the stage of the defendant being sworn in and lying in the stand. The judge simply strikes it out.

The judge simply strikes it out.

Except when he doesn't, as in the newspaper story linked earlier.

If you tell your solicitor you never got it and the solicitor tells the court is it still perjury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Except when he doesn't, as in the newspaper story linked earlier.

In the article he says he imposed the fine, but it doesn't mention any penalty points been issues...

Advertisement