Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

I think they want it to be used for long distance traffic only, and are trying to avoid junction hopping, ie: coming on at West Macroom and driving to East Macroom. Thats why you see very few towns with more than one junction, even when the new road crosses the old road.

Thanks, I think it definitely doesn't lend itself to that, but give that there's a slip at milstreet cross, one further west should have no effect. Seems strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Saw there on the westport to turlough page that they've got it down to four main bidders for the construction of that project, any word on who the main bidders for construction of ballyvourney/macroom bypass are?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Saw there on the westport to turlough page that they've got it down to four main bidders for the construction of that project, any word on who the main bidders for construction of ballyvourney/macroom bypass are?
    No published information as of yet though.

Michael Ring is really pushing this N5 upgrade though, so it isn't surprising there has been so many press releases about it. It's been a major issue for employers and the region, and people in the NW of the country are more inclined to voice their issues about roads and make a political issue out of them than us down south.

marno21 wrote: »
    No published information as of yet though.

Michael Ring is really pushing this N5 upgrade though, so it isn't surprising there has been so many press releases about it. It's been a major issue for employers and the region, and people in the NW of the country are more inclined to voice their issues about roads and make a political issue out of them than us down south.

You'd think with a minister from macroom he'd be able to push it like michael ring is doing up in mayo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You'd think with a minister from macroom he'd be able to push it like michael ring is doing up in mayo

Oh no I didn't mean that he's not pushing it - just that he isn't as big into the press releases as Michael Ring is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Getting impatient now waiting for this and other projects to break ground

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That will mean a whole lot of sod turning cermonies for political kudos, between this and year end.

Water John wrote: »
    That will mean a whole lot of sod turning cermonies for political kudos, between this and year end.

better call the green party for the sod turning, looks like they'll be in the next government.

Better get the projects up and running quickly so.

Getting impatient now waiting for this and other projects to break ground

Out to tender since april last year so it surely can't be too long more before we know who got the contract to build this road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Do you reckon we're still on track for a 2020 Q1 start? Any chance of it being sooner?

Do you reckon we're still on track for a 2020 Q1 start? Any chance of it being sooner?
    I am getting hesitant to predict given Shane Ross's inability to concentrate on his departmental brief, and the Government's fondness for springing multi billion euro projects out of nowhere which could lead to capital budget reallocations, but I'd be disappointed if this didn't start before the year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Now into holiday season and heading for second half of the year. Given the generous annual leave allowance at the award side (TII / CCC / DTTAS etc.), any decision making is probably now going to drift close to or into autumn. I'd say a proper start before Q1 2020 is highly optimistic at this stage. It is still encouraging to see the advance works ongoing west of Ballyvourney with the power line relocation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

There was a post on SSC about the Macroom BP being delayed too due to issues out of the advance works. If that’s the case it’s all up in the air

Tenders were in for the main construction contract last Friday so I doubt it is advance works issues.

Tenders were in for the main construction contract last Friday so I doubt it is advance works issues.

Fingers crossed, that’s great news. Any word on when it’s expected to be awarded?

(I’ll move these posts later)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Fingers crossed, that’s great news. Any word on when it’s expected to be awarded?

(I’ll move these posts later)

I don't but I would say minimum 3 months -hopefully before budget day. I do know that it isn't lowest cost - and there is a quality elements involved so that will take time. N5 Westport Turlough is a similar scheme in length and cost - those tenders were back the end of May - linked article saying September for tender award so I can't see N22 any sooner.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/06/10/4175370-four-tenders-competing-for-200m-mayo-road-project/

MOD:

Posts moved above from Dunkettle thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That's very positive news.

As an aside, it's great to see machinery on the ground every time I pass this site.
    Looking forward to pics of the project as it progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Definitely a new attitude around after the Children's Hospital and NBP controversies. Hope it doesn't impact the Macroom bypass.

A major upgrade of the Dunkettle Interchange in Co Cork could be delayed by 12 months after Transport Infrastructure Ireland and contractor Sisk failed to agree a price for the project.

Sisk won the contract for the upgrade of the Dunkettle Interchange in June 2018 but the contract included a provision that if TII and the contractor did not agree a price on the main construction works, then TII could go back to the market place and seek new tenders.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dunkettle-interchange-upgrade-to-be-delayed-by-12-months-1.3987131

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

KOR101 wrote: »
    Definitely a new attitude around after the Children's Hospital and NBP controversies. Hope it doesn't impact the Macroom bypass.

Won't impact according to TII.

Bottom of the article
    TII, Cork County Council and Cork City Council remain committed to the development of national road network throughout the Cork region. As a demonstration of this commitment, TII will be seeking Government approval to award the construction contract for the N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom 22km dual carriageway in September.

https://www.tii.ie/news/press-releases/dunkettle-interchange-update/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Good news about September. Hopefully there won't be any post award problems as in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Great news today for the Macroom Bypass. Michael Creed trumpeting the Sep award on Facebook and Twitter. Sisk inadvertently accelerating this scheme with their price for Dunkettle, TII has to craic on with something! The deferred judgement on the M28 also helping matters for the N22 :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So if the construction contract is indeed awarded in September, what should be the next step? And are we still looking at a 2020 Q1 start or is that too optimistic?

So if the construction contract is indeed awarded in September, what should be the next step? And are we still looking at a 2020 Q1 start or is that too optimistic?

Diggers on the ground by Christmas. 3 year construction timeframe

I think to draw funding from this years allocation, you'd get on site before Christmas. This type of project might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I suspect an extra push on this one to get it started ASAP to cover up the Dunkettle embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hondar

Roadbridge got the tender.wont be a announced formally for a few weeks.

hondar wrote: »

How long until the diggers break ground?

• Advertisement

hondar wrote: »

That’s fantastic news if true, the rate they are going at on the N4 scheme in Sligo is incredible.

Advertisement