Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and one way streets.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but does anyone know if it's illegal to cycle the wrong way down a one way street? I know some might think it's morally wrong, but is there any law? Or does anybody know how I might find out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... Not sure if it's illegal, but it's certainly dangerous....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes it is illegal.
    Check out the various Road Traffic Acts for more info or ask the next Garda you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I agree with you. A friend of mine is wondering. A guard swore at him and is charging him for it. Some people have said they don't think there's a law against it though. In his defense, it was a wide road that's quiet and only ablut 75m long and I'd probably have done the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Definitely illegal if there is no contra flow cycle lane there. Tell your mate to go and apologise to the Gardai and see if he'll let it go.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yes it is illegal.
    Check out the various Road Traffic Acts for more info or ask the next Garda you see.

Where would I get the acts do you know? is there anywhere online? Asked a Garda and he doesnt know but is going to check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

My first thought is that it would be illegal.

As far as I can remember from the Rules of the Road, a cyclist is classed as a "slow-moving vehicle". That, to me, means that a cyclist is subject to all the rules that motorised vehicles are subject to.

In other words, replace the word "cycle" in your question with "drive a car" and you will probably have your answer.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is illegal in Ireland. It is not illegal throughout the world.

enr3.jpg

liamo wrote: »
    My first thought is that it would be illegal.

As far as I can remember from the Rules of the Road, a cyclist is classed as a "slow-moving vehicle". That, to me, means that a cyclist is subject to all the rules that motorised vehicles are subject to.

In other words, replace the word "cycle" in your question with "drive a car" and you will probably have your answer.

Regards,

Liam
    Verb wrote: »
    Definitely illegal if there is no contra flow cycle lane there. Tell your mate to go and apologise to the Gardai and see if he'll let it go.
    blorg wrote: »
    It is illegal in Ireland. It is not illegal throughout the world.

enr3.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies!
    J

This reminds me, I had to swerve to avoid a cyclist hitting me when I was going down Eglinton Road on Friday. The guy came from Clonskeagh Road and swerved into the wrong cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

It's illegal but I do it sometimes if it's easier and I think it's safe. Doesn't stop motorists beeping and shouting like monkeys at you though!

Driver: "THIS IS A ONE WAY STREET!"

Me: "I'm only going one way.." and off I go..

I wouldn't go the wrong way up a one way st if it was more than 100 meters or so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

There was a talk on in trinity last week by a professor of cycling planning from England and he said that in a lot of quiet one way streets it's safer going the wrong way than but on busier roads it's not.

Eh.. I don't think that was quite what he said. I thought he said that contra flow cycle lanes on quiet one way streets were a good idea.

Not just arbitrarily cycling up a one way street. It is dangerous if the oncoming cars don't know to look for cyclists. This also includes cars turning onto the street from private premises..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭cantalach

Jeapy wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but does anyone know if it's illegal to cycle the wrong way down a one way street? I know some might think it's morally wrong, but is there any law? Or does anybody know how I might find out?

It certainly is illegal. And that's a terrible pity in Cork because the infamous Patrick's Hill is one-way downhill, which means you have to cop some abuse and horn-blowing as you slowly make your way up!

Germany allows cyclists cycle the wrong way up one way streets. They do have to be marked with the "bike frei" sign I pasted above. No dedicated contra-flow lane, the cyclist just has to keep right (e.g. would be left here.)

It works there and the safety record is impressive. I believe this is largely due to low speed limits.

Eh.. I don't think that was quite what he said. I thought he said that contra flow cycle lanes on quiet one way streets were a good idea.

Not just arbitrarily cycling up a one way street. It is dangerous if the oncoming cars don't know to look for cyclists. This also includes cars turning onto the street from private premises..
    Your memory might be better than mine but what I remember him saying is that he often meets resistance when proposing to allow cyclists go the wrong way down one way streets because people assume that it's dangerous. But that on a lot of quiet narrow streets people are driving slowly by sight and a cyclist coming towards you is quite visible. While saying this he had up a picture of a narrow lane, just wide enough for a car, the type of thing you'd ofter find in an old city centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

On a similar line, does anyone know is it legal/illegal for cyclists to use contra-flow bus lanes? I'd have thought not but I see a lot of people doing it around Stephens Green.

I don't know if anyone knows where Hume Street connects on to the road around the green, but I've seen a few very close calls there with cars pulling out, and in fairness when your pulling out there and watching a lot of traffic coming from the left and only expecting buses to be coming from the right it can be very easily to not spot a cyclist and pull out in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

stevenmu wrote: »
    On a similar line, does anyone know is it legal/illegal for cyclists to use contra-flow bus lanes? I'd have thought not but I see a lot of people doing it around Stephens Green.

Yes it's illegal but I suspect it's like jaywalking, i.e. never enforced. Plenty of cyclists use the contra-flow cycle lane you're talking about, it's hard enough getting around the city centre without all the daft one way systems in place.

There was an interesting (albeit slightly piss-take) article about this in one of the free rags this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's only legal if bikes are specified on the sign afaik:
    Normal flow sign with bike:
    r39.gif

Contra-flow without bike
    r41.gif

However, since the latter sign is an informational sign for people *not* using the bus lane, and the former is a sign for everyone, I don't know what the law is. Is there anything in the statutes which states that bikes are permitted to use bus lanes?

By default bikes are allowed use all with-flow bus lanes and prohibited from contra-flows.
    (2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

This is the default situation. There are exceptions; e.g. a specific contra-flow bike lane is provided with the bus lane on Leeson Street. Similarly some with-flow bus lanes are bus only where an off-road cycle track is provided.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    This is the default situation. There are exceptions; e.g. a specific contra-flow bike lane is provided with the bus lane on Leeson Street.
    I wonder how someone's supposed to get into this lane without coming from the lane leading up to it.

John_C wrote: »
    I wonder how someone's supposed to get into this lane without coming from the lane leading up to it.

hah yeah I was just wondering the same. I often cycle up that contra flow bus lane by Stephens Green.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

hah yeah I was just wondering the same. I often cycle up that contra flow bus lane by Stephens Green.
    The same way as you cross bus-stops, house entrances, etc., when riding a cycle lane: dismount & push, of course! (hence the term "push-bike")

I think everyone does. The funny thing is, my rules of the road book has a picture of the bus lane on Leeson Street as its example of a contra flow lane that cyclists are banned from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I do see a lot of people doing it, I don't have any real problem with it, but it is very easy to not notice cyclists coming up that way when you're watching the traffic for a gap, especially on the dark winter evenings. But I'll be cycling more than driving for the next while so I'm sure i'll do it myself the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

There's a one-way road I often use running from the nine arches bridge to milltown luas station - a fairly steep one, if anyone knows it. It's very rarely used as only one of the lanes of traffic at the bottom have access but as it's so steep and pretty narrow I have a feeling I'm going to come off pretty badly with a car one of these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

fish-head wrote: »
    It's illegal but I do it sometimes if it's easier and I think it's safe. Doesn't stop motorists beeping and shouting like monkeys at you though!

Driver: "THIS IS A ONE WAY STREET!"

Me: "I'm only going one way.." and off I go..

I wouldn't go the wrong way up a one way st if it was more than 100 meters or so though.

And I'm Guessing this Makes you Immune to becomming a Garfield Look-a-Like on the outside of someones car?

That bit of street from Camden Street that goes straight up towards Rathmines I Think it is Sth Great Richmond Street is a bugger of road for Cyclists to go against the traffic... SOMEDAY A cyclist will be Snookered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

There's a one-way road I often use running from the nine arches bridge to milltown luas station - a fairly steep one, if anyone knows it. It's very rarely used as only one of the lanes of traffic at the bottom have access but as it's so steep and pretty narrow I have a feeling I'm going to come off pretty badly with a car one of these days...
    It's called Richmond Ave South, and I cycle up the hill most mornings. You may have noticed that Dublin City Council have added a 2nd no-entry sign at the top of the hill, following my reporting of 10+ cars that I've met breaking the 1-way system over the past year or so.

Cyclists coming down against the 1 way are more of an inconvenience than a risk. THe greatest risk of collision is the bottom of the hill, where it exits out onto Milltown Road. I've had a few close shaves as I pull around that corner, to meet a cyclist coming the wrong way down the hill sitting over on the right-hand side of the road (from their POV). The good news for you if you continue to break the 1-way system in the mornings is that car traffic should not be going up the hill between 7am and 10 am, as there is a 'no left turn' sign with a 'except for cyclists' addendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,317 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Myth wrote: »
    This reminds me, I had to swerve to avoid a cyclist hitting me when I was going down Eglinton Road on Friday. The guy came from Clonskeagh Road and swerved into the wrong cycle lane.
    That would also be breaking a "no right turn" sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

It's called Richmond Ave South, and I cycle up the hill most mornings. You may have noticed that Dublin City Council have added a 2nd no-entry sign at the top of the hill, following my reporting of 10+ cars that I've met breaking the 1-way system over the past year or so.

Cyclists coming down against the 1 way are more of an inconvenience than a risk. THe greatest risk of collision is the bottom of the hill, where it exits out onto Milltown Road. I've had a few close shaves as I pull around that corner, to meet a cyclist coming the wrong way down the hill sitting over on the right-hand side of the road (from their POV). The good news for you if you continue to break the 1-way system in the mornings is that car traffic should not be going up the hill between 7am and 10 am, as there is a 'no left turn' sign with a 'except for cyclists' addendum.

I cycle down it every morning on my way to work between 9-9.30. The last few metres at the bottom are always pretty scary even though no cars should be comng up at that time.

Theres been a few close shaves in my car as well. Last Friday I was about to turn the corner to drive up and a girl in a silver car was just at the bottom. slammed the brakes on and came to a stop about 6 inches from her bumper. Lucky for me there were no cars behind me otherwise I would have been rearended. Made the silly girl reverse back up the hill:mad:

Advertisement