Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Ryanair to start Kerry - Dublin route on 22 July 2008

Options
  • 16-05-2008 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Ryanair have won the PSO contract for the Kerry - Dublin route and begin a three times daily flight on the rout on July 22nd

link: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=08&month=may&story=rte-en-150508

Press Release:
    RYANAIR ANNOUNCES DUBLIN – KERRY ROUTE

Ryanair, Europe’s leading low fares airline, today (15th May 2008) announced that it has written to the Department of Transport confirming that it has accepted the offer of the PSO contract on the Kerry – Dublin route and will commence operations on the 22nd July.

Ryanair will operate three daily services between Kerry and Dublin with fares starting from just 99c one-way, excluding taxes and charges.

Ryanair’s arrival on the route will result in;

1. a doubling of the capacity (from 200,000 to 400,000 seats annually) on the route
    2. a reduction of over €1.3m on the amount payable by the taxpayer for the provision of this public service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I really am surprised that the environmentalists keep whinging about roads and carbon footprint when nonsense, wasteful flights like this take place.

Bus on this route would be fine, 3 flights per day is massively excessive IMO. One flight fills Kerry airport out into the rain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wgk

You find recommending a 4 hour drive comparable to taking a 35 min flight. Cork has 2 airlines flying the same route in the form of Aer Arann and Ryanair, most of which ends up with half empty planes flying to Dublin each day! That is an ENVIRONMENTAL WASTE! Vested interests in Kerry have been praying for Ryanair to take over this route for years, it provides more capacity, cheaper options and provides more options during the busier summer period to access the biggest tourist destination in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Certainly I am sure Kerry tourism will welcome this with open arms, and choice is always a good thing.

But take 35 minutes flying, add at least an hour and a half in Dublin's hellhole airport, miles of walking to Ryanair's remote terminals, spending another hour on the M50, paying exorbitant car park charges, and of course Ryanair's 'fees and charges,' and I would rather drive to Kerry in my car any day!

No substitute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Certainly I am sure Kerry tourism will welcome this with open arms, and choice is always a good thing.

But take 35 minutes flying, add at least an hour and a half in Dublin's hellhole airport, miles of walking to Ryanair's remote terminals, spending another hour on the M50, paying exorbitant car park charges, and of course Ryanair's 'fees and charges,' and I would rather drive to Kerry in my car any day!

No substitute!

So true!

On another note, flying from Dublin to Kerry will almost always be more environmentally friendly than having all those people drive in individual cars. Of course, that is only as long as the planes are relatively full (say, more than 60%, but just speculating here).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

There is always the train option, with a service every 2 hours between Dublin and Kerry (most changing at Mallow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

add at least an hour and a half in Dublin's hellhole airport
    Why would you need to be in the airport an hour and a half before hand? Half that time is more than enough.
    miles of walking to Ryanair's remote terminals,
    Ryanair don't have any remote terminals in Dublin airport. Pier D is approx 1000 meters from security check, far from excessive considering over half can be traversed by travellators.
    spending another hour on the M50,
    Not everyone has to use the M50.
    paying exorbitant car park charges, and of course Ryanair's 'fees and charges,'
    Not everyone had to park, there are alternatives. What 'fees and charges' are mandatory?
    I would rather drive to Kerry in my car any day!
    Less moaners on the flight :rolleyes:

The only thing I could say about Farranfore is that the links to Tralee and Kilarney could be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

It's 280km from kerry airport to dublin city centre.
    and there will shortly be 120kmph motorway going from cork to dublin.

who actually wants to go from kerry airport which is the middle of nowhere to dublin airport which isn't close to the city centre or most business.
    I accept that plenty of people in Kerry might want to go to Dublin but how many want to drive to kerry airport, fly to dublin airport and then get a Taxi to where ever in Dublin they actually want to go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wgk wrote: »
    You find recommending a 4 hour drive comparable to taking a 35 min flight. Cork has 2 airlines flying the same route in the form of Aer Arann and Ryanair, most of which ends up with half empty planes flying to Dublin each day! That is an ENVIRONMENTAL WASTE! Vested interests in Kerry have been praying for Ryanair to take over this route for years, it provides more capacity, cheaper options and provides more options during the busier summer period to access the biggest tourist destination in Ireland
    If two people were to leave from South Dublin in the morning to travell to Tralee, one getting a flight and the other driving there would probably be less than an hour in the difference taking check in, airport delays traffic etc into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Just to add to my earlier post, there are 8 trains per day connecting Kerry with Dublin and return (far more than ever before) - that gives far more options than the flights, with the first train (0525 ex-Tralee) giving a semi-fast service to Mallow and connecting with the 0630 Cork-Dublin train, due in Dublin for 0915.

Surely this has to be the most environmentally friendly option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

If two people were to leave from South Dublin in the morning to travell to Tralee, one getting a flight and the other driving there would probably be less than an hour in the difference taking check in, airport delays traffic etc into consideration.

And the person driving can:
    - go directly to their final destination
    - use their own car to get about once there
    - bring as much luggage as their car can carry (15 kg limit with Ryanair)
    KC61 wrote:
    Just to add to my earlier post, there are 8 trains per day connecting Kerry with Dublin and return (far more than ever before) - that gives far more options than the flights, with the first train (0525 ex-Tralee) giving a semi-fast service to Mallow and connecting with the 0630 Cork-Dublin train, due in Dublin for 0915.
    Surely this has to be the most environmentally friendly option?
    Absolutely. And not much slower as the train goes from town centre to town/city centre. Ryanair might be able to compete with the trains on price for the next few years, but not for long if the quality of the train service continues to improve, albeit slowly. If IE get their act together, a 3 hour service Heuston-Killarney is easily do-able. Hard to beat that by flying, considering the check in time, baggage handling, etc.

• Advertisement

ga2re2t wrote: »
    - bring as much luggage as their car can carry (15 kg limit with Ryanair)
    It's 25kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

I am really looking forward to this service as I plan to use it quite often.

Many people on here advocating the train are forgetting to mention the third world service that is Mallow -> Tralee :eek:

Where do I start:

1. Old dirty uncomfortable trains thats frequently breakdown and passengers end up been bussed to Mallow.

2. The service is quite expensive compared to what current Ryanair fare is. Standard return to Tralee is 66 Euro with 30 day return at 70 odd.

3. The booking system on IE is not enforced! I have seen numerous times people been asked to sit elsewhere by IE staff when there seats are already occupied at busy times :(

Now for me the plane has these advantages:

1. I live quite to close to the airport and can print out my boarding pass beforehand meaning I only have to arrive 30mins before departure.

2. Most Ryanair planes are new and I am confident the service will be more reliable (DAA strikes been the exception!)

3. Cost is almost identical to train from what I can see already.

I will definetly be recommending the flight option to anyone I know who wants to get to Kerry efficiently and cheaply :)

technocrat wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to this service as I plan to use it quite often.
    Really it's been around years already, just operated by Aer Arran, not much to look forward to!
    2. Most Ryanair planes are new and I am confident the service will be more reliable (DAA strikes been the exception!)
    When was the last time the DAA went on strike? I'd go as far as to say the DAA have never been on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

We stayed in a hotel in Dublin and flew down to Cork. Silly decision in retrospect. Because we didnt know how bad Dublins traffic was, I worked out that by the time we left the hotel, waited for the bus in the rain, got to the airport in the rush hour, checked in and were waiting for the 35 minute flight to start, we could have driven all the way home.

The sooner the interurbans are open and these silly intercity flights end, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

When was that raised?

(the ryanair baggage limit to 25Kg, used to be 15 didn't it?)

Igy wrote: »
    When was that raised?

(the ryanair baggage limit to 25Kg, used to be 15 didn't it?)

10kg cabin and 15kg checked (total 25kg) has been around for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Ah, I forgot about the possibility of paying extra for a bag, which was sorta silly of me.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Really it's been around years already, just operated by Aer Arran, not much to look forward to!

The title of this thread has nothing to do with Aer Arran!

I am well aware who operates the service now and can even tell you AL did many years ago.

WHat I am looking forward to is cheap fares something Aer Arann don't offer if you plan to travel at the weekend.
    With Ryanair's increased capacity I am pretty confident fares will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I find it interesting that Ryanair have got this PSO contract. For a crowd that whinges on so much about government and the public/state sector and so on, they seemingly have no issue with taking the government's money in order to prop up their bottom line.

The other interesting point is that they obviously have decided to go after Aer Arann in a big way, between opening up Cork-Dublin and (persumably) under-cutting them on this PSO bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Does anyone know will the planes flying to Kerry be standard boeing 373's as you would get to let's say France or do Ryanair also have smaller perpellar planes in their fleet?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

JMB88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know will the planes flying to Kerry be standard boeing 373's as you would get to let's say France or do Ryanair also have smaller perpellar planes in their fleet?!

Ryanair used to have propellers many moons ago, but have now standardised on 737s (not 373s ;)). The reason they are able to bid for the Kerry route is that the runway is long enough to take 737s (as opposed to Galway, where it is not).

I am well aware who operates the service now and can even tell you AL did many years ago.
    Well done you. :rolleyes:

JMB88 wrote: »
    Ryanair exclusively fly the Boeing 737 800 series which would normally have a crew of 6, ie captain and Co Pilot and 4 cabin crew and can carry up to 189 passengers. It would nearly pay them to purchace / lease an ATR 72-500s (Airbus :eek:) for this route which would carry a more realistic figure of 72 passengers and four air crew members at the max.

Even if Ryanair paid people to travell to Tralee they would not even fill a Boeing 737 800 once a day never mind times a day because not many people would want to go there anyway :D

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Well done you. :rolleyes:

Yea yea.. get that last word in. Childish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

It would nearly pay them to purchace / lease an ATR 72-500s (Airbus :eek:) for this route which would carry a more realistic figure of 72 passengers and four air crew members at the max.

It would if they didn't have to maintain two different types of planes, keep a second stock of spare parts, type-certify some of their crew for a different plane, etc.

markpb wrote: »
    It would if they didn't have to maintain two different types of planes, keep a second stock of spare parts, type-certify some of their crew for a different plane, etc.
    They could wet lease it or sub it out altogether. I am sure the subsities they are receiving would well cover the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

serfboard wrote: »
    I find it interesting that Ryanair have got this PSO contract. For a crowd that whinges on so much about government and the public/state sector and so on, they seemingly have no issue with taking the government's money in order to prop up their bottom line.
    the whole point of this bid was for ryanair to show the government that it can be done cheaper than what aer arann were getting.

while i dont have a copy of ryanairs accounts to hand, i dont think that they NEED to have the PSO subsidy to (as you put it) prop up their bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What happens to flights already booked with Aer Arann after 22/07 ?

What happens to flights already booked with Aer Arann after 22/07 ?

There offering full refunds to all customers who booked after this date.
    Gonna be done automatically so no need to contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dmeehan wrote: »
    the whole point of this bid was for ryanair to show the government that it can be done cheaper than what aer arann were getting. while i dont have a copy of ryanairs accounts to hand, i dont think that they NEED to have the PSO subsidy to (as you put it) prop up their bottom line
    One stipulation of previous contracts was that a certain number of seats (80%?) had to be offered for €30(?) or less.

Advertisement