Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone had problems with 2008 mazda 6??

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

The last 2 days I've been having problems with my left direction indicator which is coming on intermittently when in the Off position. Even by turing right indicator on, it does not clear the problem. Both times I've been in a town, so it was a bit nerve wrecking and eventually rectified itself.
    Am calling dealer tomorrow morning first thing, but I'm just interested to see if any other Mazda driver has this problem.....garages usually tell you you're the only one they've seen with the problem!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Get straight back to the dealer. Your not the only person to have problems with this car, seems to be quite a lot of people having problems with them, especially engine trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And windscreens are only available from the main dealers at a cost of 585 euros plus fitting!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Get straight back to the dealer. Your not the only person to have problems with this car, seems to be quite a lot of people having problems with them, especially engine trouble.

How so?

The only engine that will have sold in any numbers so far is the 1.8 petrol which is carried over from the previous gen Mazda 6 and this unit is pretty bullit-proof...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

pburns wrote: »
    How so?

+1 What problems, or is this just how rampant rumors get started?

2.0 MZR-CD Diesel engine - turbo failure, piston (big end, most common is #4) problems, high-pressure Denso pumps and serious lubrication issues that will lead to total engine failure. That's the big issues there are other problems through out the range such as EML, headlight problems, rear heated windscreen failure, stereo etc..

My own experience is that I have seen four in three months one of which is my friends car with all the problems mentioned below:

A friend of mine bought the 2.0 MZR-CD version back in January, I warned him not too and if he really wanted to get a Mazda 6 to go for the petrol version. Just over a month later the turbo went, got it replaced, two weeks later EML kept coming on, ECU had to be replaced, then about 2 weeks ago the big end went.
    He's not the only one that has had these problems and thats from the main dealer !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That's insane, how can they launch a new car with such a flawed engine?

That's insane, how can they launch a new car with such a flawed engine?
    You'll have to ask Mazda that cause the dealers can't answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any more news about this model, I was thinking of looking at one of them.

2.0 MZR-CD Diesel engine - turbo failure, piston (big end, most common is #4) problems, high-pressure Denso pumps and serious lubrication issues that will lead to total engine failure. That's the big issues there are other problems through out the range such as EML, headlight problems, rear heated windscreen failure, stereo etc..

My own experience is that I have seen four in three months one of which is my friends car with all the problems mentioned below:

A friend of mine bought the 2.0 MZR-CD version back in January, I warned him not too and if he really wanted to get a Mazda 6 to go for the petrol version. Just over a month later the turbo went, got it replaced, two weeks later EML kept coming on, ECU had to be replaced, then about 2 weeks ago the big end went.
    He's not the only one that has had these problems and thats from the main dealer !

Has anybody else had problems with the 2.0 diesel version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

galwaytt had a 02 one I think it was. It blew the bottom end IIRC.

A lot of modern diesels seem to give trouble these days, and often it's expensive trouble like a turbo(BMW are guilty of this, as are others) or injectors(practically all makes seem to have injector problems bar BMW, VAG, FIAT and Isuzu). You don't hear of much going wrong with modern petrol engines though.

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    Has anybody else had problems with the 2.0 diesel version?
    In a nut shell, yes. Google it and I'll say you will come across more of the same.

Check Honestjohn.co.uk. Big spiel on the reliability issues with the 6 diesel. No issues with the petrol.

The old and the new 6 share the same engines btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're under warranty for 3 years, so just get it sorted. You could try ringing Mazda Ireland and lodge a complaint, but it probably won't do any good. With any car company, they'll wait until a problem is giving them a lot of grief before they come up with a work around. When that happens, you'll get it sorted for good!

I checked it there on honestjohn but all they have is a road test in the new type one. I cant seem to see anything about a troublesome diesel engine.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1228&

I checked it there on honestjohn but all they have is a road test in the new type one. I cant seem to see anything about a troublesome diesel engine.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1228&
    Click on "Back Room" on menu bar.

Just found this now.
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57267
    Not a great report on the diesel engine.

Not great at all, why they are using the same engine that is known to have problems is beyond me. As I said before in this thread, if you want one then go for the petrol version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As I said before in this thread, if you want one then go for the petrol version.

+1

MZR CD is to be avoided. Mazda dealer in Wexford is advising customers to buy petrols as a compromise, with higher spec.
    VAG TDis are supposedly notorious for turbos failures., maybe the only reliable diesels remaining seem to be the 2.2 CTDi from the accord (jap-built, so should be good).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I drove a new model 6 diesel last week. Found it quite noisy at low revs and lacks the oomph of the older model if I remember correctly (re-tuned for better CO2?)...

I read somewhere that Mazda are launching a 2.2 170bhp diesel in September - based on the current engine I think.

It's really a pity, I intended buying one. But the 1.8 petrol is underpowered IMO and the diesel is apparantly a bag o'****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I never drove the 2.0 petrol. Is it any good?

EDIT: just found some details on honestjohn.

141bhp and has been retuned to give 10% less emissions.

Still 141bhp is better than 118bhp in the 1.8.

Might well be worth a look

• Advertisement

I went to my local Mazda dealer this evening with a view to buying a new one. They assured me that there is no problems or hasn't been for that matter with the diesel version. If I hadn't read this I would buy one but now I'm not so sure.

I went to my local Mazda dealer this evening with a view to buying a new one. They assured me that there is no problems or hasn't been for that matter with the diesel version. If I hadn't read this I would buy one but now I'm not so sure.
    You hardly think they would tell you that there's a known issue with the MZR-CD engine. Why do you want a diesel ?
    maoleary wrote: »
    I never drove the 2.0 petrol. Is it any good?

EDIT: just found some details on honestjohn.

141bhp and has been retuned to give 10% less emissions.

Still 141bhp is better than 118bhp in the 1.8.

Might well be worth a look

There's not really much difference between a 1.8 & 2.0 petrol or a 2.0 diesel. 2.0 petrol would be a bit quicker off the mark than the 1.8 and the heavy 2.0 diesel engine.

4dr models

0 - 100km/h = 11.3 sec|120bhp|Torque = 165Nm/4000rpm|CO2 = 161

0 - 100km/h = 9.9 sec|147bhp|Torque = 184Nm/4000rpm|CO2 = 166

2.0 diesel
    0 - 100km/h = 10.5 sec|140bhp|Torque = 330Nm/2000rpm|CO2 = 149

Fuel wise you get about 10mpg (combined) more with the diesel.

With the new coming CO2 emission tax rates;
    • 1.8 & 2.0 petrol will cost you €430
    • 2.0 diesel will cost you €290, a saving of €140 that more than likely will be spent on diesel with the way current fuel prices are.

The 2.0 petrol is relatively frugal, in the same CO2 category as a TDI 170 Passat/Superb, or a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo or 2.0 HDi C5, and in a lower road tax category than the 1.6 Mondeo or Avensis after July.

Though I'm afraid to say that I still think it would be fairly sale proof when the time comes to selling it on, in the short term at least. you know what the Irish are like when it comes to engine sizes:(. Pity, because it looks like a great car.

Think you are correct there E 92, the 2.0 petrol would be the car but in 3 years time trying to shift it might be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Strange that Mazda don't use the Ford diesel if their own is proving so unreliable, given that they cross share the 2.3 petrol engine with the 6 and the new Mondeo, although one report I read about the 2.3 engine in the Mondeo advised not buying it, particularly in automatic guise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Jeepers. Surprised at the number of people who don't seem surprised that a Mazda is giving trouble. From the reviews I've read I thought they were supposed to be an excellent car.

Well I suppose if you are about to shell out €30k for a car you will search everywhere for any problems that the particular car might have.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Strange that Mazda don't use the Ford diesel if their own is proving so unreliable, given that they cross share the 2.3 petrol engine with the 6 and the new Mondeo, although one report I read about the 2.3 engine in the Mondeo advised not buying it, particularly in automatic guise.
    The 2.3 in the Mondeo is not available in the 6. It's Automatic only and has the CO2 of the larger 2.5 turbo Volvo engine with the performance of the 2.0 petrol. I'm guessing that's why it's not popular;)!

Ford's TDCi engines give trouble with injectors too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I dont think it's exclusive to Donegal. Waterford is full of the fools as well. 1.4L 1996 or 1997 Honda Civics seem to be the norm down here. Always find it strange that a much more powerful BMW, Audi or some such genuinely powerful car can cruise by without a sound and they are followed by a roaring Honda Civic or Toyota Starlet. Probably the same in Donegal and other parts of the country I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

E92 wrote: »
    The 2.3 in the Mondeo is not available in the 6. It's Automatic only and has the CO2 of the larger 2.5 turbo Volvo engine with the performance of the 2.0 petrol. I'm guessing that's why it's not popular;)!

Ford's TDCi engines give trouble with injectors too.

My point is the 2.3 engine in the new mondeo is a Mazda engine. Same basic lump that was used for the 2.3 MPS units in the Mada 3 and old 6, without the Turbo.

Advertisement