Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening new store

Options
  • 15-05-2008 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to locate a fairly large gift store in Carlow (similar to the now closed Special Days in Liffey Valley (closed due to rent hiked up to 380k!!)) and have looked at several sites. From what I see, Tullow street seems to be a lot busier than it used to be and is possibly a better location than Fairgreen. The superquinn centre seems to be very quiet for casual shoppers.

Also, I haven't seen any other gift stores in the town which surprises me - did others exist or has carlow just being ignored.

Any advice appreciated and I will give link to any job ops here first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I suppose the closest thing we have would be Byrnes book and toy store on Tullow St.
    But I can't think of anything along the lines of Special Days in carlow.

As for sites, there's probably still vacancies out in Deer Pk Business Complex on the dublin road but you'd need to do alot of advertising to let people know you're there.

just my €0.02 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

how do you define Gifts?
    Gift Stores - I suppose Allens on Castle St could be considered a gift shop, downstairs in Shaws and Byrnes would be a few to mention.
    Tullow St - I suppose - Ideal spot would be where Crottys & Easons were or is that been sold /redeveloped together?

I have heard Pennys is going to be redeveloped but I am not sure when it is to happen.
    If you could get somewhere along where McDonalds you could do well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I was just going to ask how do you define gift store also, I certainly can't think of anywhere in carlow that provides such a chain of franchise anyway. I would say you could potentially attract a big consumer base should it all be planned correctly. Didn't know tullow street was after picking up a bit.Superquinn shopping center does indeed tend to be dead. It will truly turn out to be all about location location location. Fairgreen would be expensive i'd say, or am i wrong.

Main point, Best of luck with your venture!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Thanks for the replys.

I'm looking at 3 sites

1st = old easons store
    2nd = pub on tullow st which is reverting back to retail use (not allowed to name it at present)
    3rd = Fairgreen.

Problem with fairgreen seems that most visitors just go to supermarket and then home. Busy on Friday / saturday but seems quite on other days compared to Tullow st. - or maybe it was just the days I was in it?

As for products - decent greeting cards, yankee candle, games, gadgets, poker stuff, gourmet hampers and some pottery / crystal & crafts.

The Eason's location is probably 1st choice if terms can be agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Work for a company with a shop on Tullow St. Business was very slow for last couple of years but have seen a big improvement in sales since Sept last year. Tullow St needs new retial businesses not more pubs whihc is what the street was close to turining in to. Easons is in a good location and is also a good size inside, the pub which you cannot name is a little bit too far down on the street to get the business you would want. the main car park for tullow st is the Haddens Centre, people come up the escalator on to the middle of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Best of Luck Mcaul :)

i think we all know what pub we're talking about here ......

lucylu wrote: »
    Best of Luck Mcaul :)

+1 again lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

ShayK1 wrote: »
    i think we all know what pub we're talking about here ......

I dont!

I dont!

then I'm not telling you.... hehehehehhehe!!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lennons :D

The pub is the dublin end of Tullow st. - Has an Irish name:D

Good news is a deal is agreed on the Easons unit and I hope to have the store open in late July.

Better news is I don't believe stores here should charge more than stores in UK / USA so pricing will be very competitive. - If something is £10 stg then it will be €12.95 (average 6 month exchange rate + 3.5% extra VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good man best of luck, 10% discount for boards members :D

Villain wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 quinnray

Know someone working on Dublin St end of Tullow St.
    Things were very quiet up until recently.
    I think things are starting to pick up again..
    AFAIK Fairgreen is busier..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

+1!!!
    quinnray wrote:
    Know someone working on Dublin St end of Tullow St.
    Things were very quiet up until recently.
    I think things are starting to pick up again..
    AFAIK Fairgreen is busier..
    i would agree. somewhat. problem is where in fairgreen one? and two, rent would be hugely different, but i do see tullow street is starting to peak up, but is it enough for sustainable buissness, esspecially a new opening buissness

aynon wrote: »
    i would agree. somewhat. problem is where in fairgreen one? and two, rent would be hugely different, but i do see tullow street is starting to peak up, but is it enough for sustainable buissness, esspecially a new opening buissness

I've talked to retailers in both Fairgreen & Tullow st. Seems Tullow street traders are happier. Problem with shoppping centres, too many poeple want to get groceries home, whereas on high streets people are more leisurely about their shopping. - Also there seems to be a huge flow of people on Tullow st. between 12 & 2.30 each day.

Anyhow, assuming all paperwork is agreed we expect to open August 1st. - Store will be called "A Special Day" and will in effect be a replica to the Special Days store I had in Liffey Valley.

So if anyone knows of people who are looking for full time / part time retail work ask them to email their CV to info@giftmaster.ie - and to give an idea of how I treat staff, not one person left in Liffey Valley in the 7 years the store was open there!

i can give you a few recommendations, i would appricate a call back, for them, tehy really deserve it!

aynon wrote: »
    i can give you a few recommendations, i would appricate a call back, for them, tehy really deserve it!

What? Am I the only one that can't make any sense of this?

Aynon: What do you mean?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    What? Am I the only one that can't make any sense of this?

Aynon: What do you mean?

he want's to give mcCaul recommendation of a few people whom he knows that mcCaul could perhaps hire. That's what i got from that. Hope that helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Agreed. If the Boards members have been more then helpful in your location for a store, they deserve a discount :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

do boards members get bumped up the interview list?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

do boards members get bumped up the interview list?

Boards powa baby!

i think, this shop should be manned by only boards members!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

mcaul wrote: »
    So if anyone knows of people who are looking for full time / part time retail work ask them to email their CV to info@giftmaster.ie - and to give an idea of how I treat staff, not one person left in Liffey Valley in the 7 years the store was open there!
    an email shall indeed be sent!
    desperately needing a summer job

Nerin wrote: »
    an email shall indeed be sent!
    desperately needing a summer job

No email received yet!!

Store will be opening 1st week august or week beforehand. Store name will be Special Day

Store will be open 7 days a week, so part-time work available year round.

CV's recieved before we advertise in nationalist will be considered on a priority basis. info@giftmaster.ie

If you like smelly candles, girlies stuff, gambling (poker) and playing with gadgets, then you'll like this!! Our main range of products are on the websites below.

when ya opening dude, got a date yet?

Post it up and we can all come in and give our custom!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

uh
    that particular gentleman is no longer with us on boards.ie

huh?

• Advertisement

uh
    that particular gentleman is no longer with us on boards.ie

Yes he is... Getting mixed up I assume?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement