Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a sustainable ROI in iPoker Super Turbo SnGs??

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

As the title says..

Whats a sustainable ROI in these? Blinds go up every minute. I will be playing over 500 a week, starting at the $20 level, for the next month.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

yours i'd say would be about 8%, mine would be ~15%

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boba_fett3099

obv..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I just played one of these. As far from poker while still being poker as is possible. Why would you voluntarily choose these as your game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

you haven't said what the buy-in is yet. That would be kind of important.

NickyOD wrote: »
    you haven't said what the buy-in is yet. That would be kind of important.

Its in the OP :pac:

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Its in the OP :pac:

Ah jeez. and I've only had 2 bottles of bud. ridiculous.

At $20 I'd say 10% going down to 2% at the $100 level even for a very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I think 10% is optimistic in these games, better off playing roulette

NickyOD wrote: »
    Ah jeez. and I've only had 2 bottles of bud. ridiculous.

At $20 I'd say 10% going down to 2% at the $100 level even for a very good player.

Do you really think its possible to have an edge in these things :confused:

EDIT: I just took down the 50man I played...cleary there is an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I havent played the iPoker versions but theres massive value around these levels on microgaming(blinds up every 2 hands, should be close enough) Im guessing ipokers the same, so many people are happy to fold for 75% of their stacks to try to limp into the money. That said its soul destroying and will do nothing to improve your game, the downswings can be horrible.

If you are getting staked fair enough but if its your own money, grind 50NL and fly up the levels clearing bonuses and getting rakeback.

If you really want to play turbo sngs make sure you're getting rakeback and look out for sng leagues. Id agree with Pat, 8% sounds about right.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Do you really think its possible to have an edge in these things :confused:

EDIT: I just took down the 50man I played...cleary there is an edge.

Of course there is an edge. You beat them through superior hand selection and shoving pre-flop at t he right time, where-as worse players overcall, overshove, fold too much, limp too much, etc etc etc.

Obviously your edge is smaller because you need to pick up a hand early to stay alive and you're forced to gamble all the time, but if your ICM calcs are spot on you should basically crush the smaller stakes at these in the long term.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    I havent played the iPoker versions but theres massive value around these levels on microgaming(blinds up every 2 hands, should be close enough) Im guessing ipokers the same, so many people are happy to fold for 75% of their stacks to try to limp into the money. That said its soul destroying and will do nothing to improve your game, the downswings can be horrible.

If you are getting staked fair enough but if its your own money, grind 50NL and fly up the levels clearing bonuses and getting rakeback.

If you really want to play turbo sngs make sure you're getting rakeback and look out for sng leagues. Id agree with Pat, 8% sounds about right.
    I actually will be getting staked in these but im trying to figure out if its worth my time. Backer keeps all the rakeback and I get 100% of the profit. What dopeople think of this deal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

I actually will be getting staked in these but im trying to figure out if its worth my time. Backer keeps all the rakeback and I get 100% of the profit. What dopeople think of this deal??

i hope your backer understands how sick the varience can be in these - a $2k downswing would be pretty standard

in saying that, if you play enough of these yokes over a sustained period, you will obv have a (small) edge over the field (no offence with the small ref, but you can only have a small edge in these total crapshoots if ya get me), and therefore should make a positive return - imo 5% roi over a large sample would be fair enough (which is more than your backer will be getting, and he's taking all the risk - therefore a sweet deal)

gl and hopefully you won't go insane!

edit quick rough math - return of $500 per week for 25 hrs 8 tabling??

You are basically giving up $500 a week in rb. As staking deals go its not bad but at that level Id prefer to work for a week or 2 and play off my own tank.

My backer seems to think 10% is easily sustainable but i wasn't so sure. Cheers bops!

bops wrote: »
    i hope your backer understands how sick the varience can be in these - a $2k downswing would be pretty standard

100 buyin downswing? Seriously?

You are basically giving up $500 a week in rb. As staking deals go its not bad but at that level Id prefer to work for a week or 2 and play off my own tank.

use your head - do the deal for 2 months, if it's all going well, go it alone and say tyvm (if you don't have the roll by then...)

100 buyin downswing? Seriously?

100 buyin downswing is but a scratch - seriously! these things can make you want to rip your eyes out

Id rather work in Burger King for a week at minimum wage, lodge $500, keep all rb and profit. But then Id rather work in burger king full time than play 500 sngs a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

oscar PM

My backer seems to think 10% is easily sustainable but i wasn't so sure. Cheers bops!

no probs, but don't take my word for it, wait and see what a few respected sng nutters say :)

• Advertisement

FYI 8 tabling these will give you brain damage. I can barely handle 6X6 handed non turbos.

Also, take into account what oscar and bops sad about variance and STTs doing your head in. They are basically the sadomasachism of poker, so if you like having your ass whipped by a cat-o-nine-tails go right ahead.

Alternativey use your 2K roll to 4-table .50/1. Easier money and a thousand times less stress IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

the rake is pretty high in these? id move around skins bonus whoring if i was you. prob a extra K or so to your monthly earn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭BIGMICKG

lol man hes totally bull****ting u.i could be wrong but a 10% roi is totally impossible at these imo. also someone said the rake on these is high??? what is it? if its more than $2 (10%) stay away!!

oh and as bops says about the variance in these. man ull see.. thats all ill say. never played sngs with 1 min levels but i can only imagine. people totally underestimate the variance in turbo sngs. if u want an idea of the variance sharkscope bigjoe2003 he plays on pokerstars and is supposedly the best online sng player in the world. no other big players dispute this. $90k downswings!!! with a $330 av buy in. do the math and bear in mind hes 1 of the best in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

BIGMICKG wrote: »
    lol man hes totally bull****ting u.

its just as likely he's clueless, people are generally pretty ignorant about this kind of thing. A good rule of thumb is to find some muppet who ran hot at these and thinks he's god's gift to poker, ask him what he thinks a reasonable ROI is, and divide by 4. I'm not saying this necessarily describes your backer, but it might.

Rake is 10%. And my potential backer is someone who is well known on here and pretty involved in the online poker world.

Not sure if i should do this, but if i show i can beat the lower levels then i'll be moved up to the $30s, $50s and $100s, and probably before i could build a big enough roll for these myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭mormank

so since ur staked. 100% roi should be sustainable.

perfect scenario for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

I have come to the conclusion that Stt's are not worth the hassle. They really arent. Soul Destroying. Mtt's and cash games the way forward. Best of luck tho.

Someone here told me that turbo blinds is the way forward in these stt's, I dont agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Someone here told me that turbo blinds is the way forward in these stt's, I dont agree.

Well that depends on what you mean, if you mean the 5 minutes turbos on ipoker then I think you can make a reasonable return on them.

I can't see the 1 minute turbos ever being the future of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

noose.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

Iago wrote: »
    Well that depends on what you mean, if you mean the 5 minutes turbos on ipoker then I think you can make a reasonable return on them.

I can't see the 1 minute turbos ever being the future of anything.

Yeah I am talking 5 mins and to be honest I am yet to be convinced. I notice when I play these luck plays more of a part than standard blinds. You are pushing your chips with mediocre hands and racing more than ever. Ok the games are faster but surely normal blind game involves more skill.

Advertisement