Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathing Problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

never noticed any performance increase myself when I was using it for rugby. did get slightly phsycologically addicted to it though, but managed to wean myself off it. Apparently this is not uncommon either, so something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There is a lot of debate over how much of a benefit it gives (e.g. it's not as significant as amphetamines or blood doping) but there is plenty of evidence that it does have an effect, e.g.:
    Studies have shown that in addition to aiding in the treatment of asthma, Salbutamol can be used to increase an athlete's anaerobic power. According to study results, peak power appeared significantly earlier and was noticeably increased after Salbutamol use.
    - Velonews

I would imagine it is unlikely to have much of an effect with limited dosages at amateur level.

I have severe hayfever (seasonal allergic rhinitis) myself which is a real downer in the summer, good luck with the treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

kenmc wrote: »
    never noticed any performance increase myself when I was using it for rugby. did get slightly phsycologically addicted to it though, but managed to wean myself off it. Apparently this is not uncommon either, so something to be aware of.

Thanks for the tip was actually wondering how much i'd have to use it or would i get away without using it on some spins. Doc recommended i should take it out with me on the bike but think i'll just have some before i go out and leave it at home.

blorg wrote: »
    There is a lot of debate over how much of a benefit it gives (e.g. it's not as significant as amphetamines or blood doping) but there is plenty of evidence that it does have an effect, e.g.:

- Velonews

I would imagine it is unlikely to have much of an effect with limited dosages at amateur level.

I have severe hayfever (seasonal allergic rhinitis) myself which is a real downer in the summer, good luck with the treatment!

One thing i know for sure isn't causing my rhinitis is pollen, but as the doc said i could be searching for yrs to find exactly what causes it and never find the answer, most probably is a combination of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Glad to hear you got it sorted Zorba. Back to training and remember that your condition is quite common. Good luck

• Advertisement

sy wrote: »
    Glad to hear you got it sorted Zorba. Back to training and remember that your condition is quite common. Good luck

Thanks Sy, least it's put my mind at ease. Was out today for the first time in nearly a week, had my little puff before i started and well my breathing was ok but i felt kinda weird, think i was just having an off day.

Ironic thing is i started cycling again to get fit and i end up giving myself asthma !!!!!

Advertisement