Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Angle Shooting Ever

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

I witnessed the most dispicable angle shooting I'v seen at a poker table last Firday night. Myself John Swar and Donal Norton head down to the Jackpot at bout 5am after the Nl game in the SE. We get into a game there and its a lively 6 handed game. Oberon is there and gets in trying to mix it up. A hand ensues where Donal has check called Obi on every street. The river hits and it pairs the board puts the flush out and the straight. Donal checks, Obi bets. Donal starts thinking and declaring that that was the worst card in the deck but that he'll probably have to pay him off. All of a sudden Obi says "fine two pair!"......Donal says that he didnt call and we all agree. Obi asks for a ruling and is adamant he called. The ruling is giiven that he didnt call. Donal decides to call anyway and Obii has only Q high!!!!!!

This was horrible. Is there any argument for this angle shooting to be part of the game? I like a bit of slow rolling now and again for fun but this is just wrong imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

despicable...or just plain stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭mormank

I witnessed the most dispicable angle shooting I'v seen at a poker table last Firday night. Myself John Swar and Donal Norton head down to the Jackpot at bout 5am after the Nl game in the SE. We get into a game there and its a lively 6 handed game. Oberon is there and gets in trying to mix it up. A hand ensues where Donal has check called Obi on every street. The river hits and it pairs the board puts the flush out and the straight. Donal checks, Obi bets. Donal starts thinking and declaring that that was the worst card in the deck but that he'll probably have to pay him off. All of a sudden Obi says "fine two pair!"......Donal says that he didnt call and we all agree. Obi asks for a ruling and is adamant he called. The ruling is giiven that he didnt call. Donal decides to call anyway and Obii has only Q high!!!!!!

This was horrible. Is there any argument for this angle shooting to be part of the game? I like a bit of slow rolling now and again for fun but this is just wrong imo.

ok how does it pair the board and fill the str8..impossible!!

and this seems ok to me, the guy called for a ruling to make sure that ur friend had to call him when he himself had only queen high. why would he do this??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

mormank wrote: »
    ok how does it pair the board and fill the str8..impossible!!

and this seems ok to me, the guy called for a ruling to make sure that ur friend had to call him when he himself had only queen high. why would he do this??:eek:

Yeah sorry, board doesnt really matter, point is it was a scare card. He called for the ruling knowing that it would be ruled against him and at which point he would look strong and his story of two pair would check out.

Yeah sorry, board doesnt really matter, point is it was a scare card. He called for the ruling knowing that it would be ruled against him and at which point he would look strong and his story of two pair would check out.

oh right. thats a great idea. cheers. im defo gonna use that sometime. its like a free bet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I don't see anything wrong with expanding your bluff , where he went wrong was saying two pair, he should have said a set, now that was stooooopid
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the so called angle shoot, it was quite creative of him really.
    Poker is about deception. I actually think it's a funny scenario.
    Lighten up or you'll get high blood pressure before from the game. Donal is a hero for calling though...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

slow rolling is not fun for the person it is being done2

think it should be noted that this is for a 600 pot. does that make a difference. this is simply cheating. surprised with the responses so far to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with expanding your bluff , where he went wrong was saying two pair, he should have said a set, now that was stooooopid
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the so called angle shoot, it was quite creative of him really.
    Poker is about deception. I actually think it's a funny scenario.
    Lighten up or you'll get high blood pressure before from the game. Donal is a hero for calling though...

my thoughts exactly :eek: except for change set to flush ^^

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    slow rolling is not fun for the person it is being done2

what i mean is i do it to friends if its that type of game. Although the other night i tried to slowroll Ace2007 with AA when he had j10 all in preflop, sure enough he hit a house for 1200 pot. So the gods dont like slowrolling. I did slow roll Obi for his tank though after this episode just for principle!!! ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I dont see anything wrong with this, Donal was angle shooting to get info from the player when he said he would have to pay him off, obi was quick enough to give him mis-information that would normally get a player to fold, Obi was quick enough to know that Donal's statement wasn't a call and he was giving mis-information back to Donal. Its the same thing if Donal asked him was he beat and he says yes. Just a different way of doing it.

I wouldn't like this at the time, but on hindsight its very clever and I dont see it been wrong.

Another example, a player limps in early pos, player on button states, fold to me I raise, the early position limper now things the button is on a steal and push's allin, the button instants calls with KK. Is this angle shooting or clever play. It think clever play by given mis-info.

Maybe some people here want to ban speech at the table all together. If you ask for info and get the wrong info back what can you cry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

think it should be noted that this is for a 600 pot. does that make a difference. this is simply cheating. surprised with the responses so far to be honest.

deception does not equal cheating. He played within the rules of the game. You are allowed ask for a ruling. you are allowed to bluff,
    the only part of it I have a real problem with is him actually declaring his hand (incorrectly or otherwise) not the calling for a ruling part. (this part is funny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

i tried to slowroll Ace2007 with AA when he had j10 all in preflop, sure enough he hit a house for 1200 pot

Looks like Ace is improving.

As for the hand I've seen Obi do this sorta thing before and it always makes me snap call. Gordon had a funny angle shoot before which was bit worse i thought but still not really pushed bout either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Obi all ways does this stuff-and yep its usually a good idea to snap call. I dont think its too bad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

standard imo

reminds me of a hand i saw once. board is A 10 6 4 2 on the river. heads up. it is checked to the button who says "ten". other guy says whats ur kicker, button immediately responds "no i bet ten"!!! lol bet is ruled valid and the buttons king ten(the nut ten :D) wins against the other guys queen ten...quick thinkin earned this guy a tenner. not much but thought it was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

It's not angle shooting as such. If Donal had called and then oberon had announced a better hand, causing donal to muck, than it's just plain cheating, but it was more speechplay to get Donal to fold. As has been said above, picking two pair as the hand to announce is pretty dumb. It's the same as pretending to think he called and announcing, "hard luck, i rivered you" trying to get the other player to fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

I like it

change the name of this thread to something else imo. worst angle shoot ever is such a misleading name!!! its not even close to being close

mormank wrote: »
    change the name of this thread to something else imo. worst angle shoot ever is such a misleading name!!! its not even close to being close

I know its not. i just posted to see where peoples moral compass on the issue of angle shooting resides.

If this isnt crossing it, what does. I know Gholi and Trippie had a situation that I feel was crossing the line from gamesmanship to cheating. Wes has had a situation in Waterford.

And what is the worst angle shoot ever.

• Advertisement

I know its not. i just posted to see where peoples moral compass on the issue of angle shooting resides.

If this isnt crossing it, what does. I know Gholi and Trippie had a situation that I feel was crossing the line from gamesmanship to cheating. Wes has had a situation in Waterford.

declaring a false hand after they have called just to try and make them muck their hand and then callin for a ruling to win the pot on the basis that there had is mucked even tho they wouldve beaten you had they shown their cards.

something like this is a bad angle shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

that situation was different as the hand was over and it was a cheap shot at getting someone to fold there hand incorrectly.

During a hand you can say what you want, but whent he action is over that is different, again in the above instance both players should show there hand and there's no issue, this thing of mucking and not showing is a different type of angling shooting as the other perons paid to see the info.

I would often use speech play to get a person to call when I know there behind, twice I remember these people hitting a 2% out on the river to suck out, but thats poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

lol at this being an angleshoot

your friend was the one who started it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I like it, banter and mind games. Its what makes poker more fun than roulette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

say - ty for telling me the strength of your hand - he's obv using his last possible card to make you fold. standard for him,

snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Donal is always speech playing which is suppsoed to be not allowed thick and all as rule that is.
    Trippies blatant cheating was obv worst angle shoot ever this is not worth printing obi rarely has the best hand so had to try and snake the pot standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭dagunman

not angle shooting at all.
    Donal started it and Obi only continued to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

dagunman wrote: »
    not angle shooting at all.
    Donal started it and Obi only continued to play the game.

Definitely wouldn't consider this an angle-shoot... clever though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

[ ] Worst angle shooting ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

This isnt an angle shoot.

If Donal had allready called and Obi declared an incorrect hand then its angle shooting /cheating, but this is just standard spech play.

Lots of live regs are allways at this it amazes me that it ever works, free info from Obi, not that you need it, just assume he has a bag and you wont go far wrong.

Advertisement