Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

FCP Conference this week

  • 06-05-2008 7:10pm
    #1
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    Someone mentioned the upcoming FCP conference in this thread and Bananaman expressed interest in it, and it struck me it's not been mentioned in detail here yet, so I threw some stuff up on my training diary about it.
    May 6, 2008
    Firearms Consultation Panel conference

    One of the odd things about target shooting administration in Ireland is that there aren’t many people in it. Most of the shooters want to, well, shoot. Meaning that about 2% of the people do 98% of the work involved in running matches, keeping clubs going, meeting the Powers That Be and so forth - and also meaning that when something large like the FCP happens, a lot of the old hands who were involved in specific areas get called back in to lend a hand (or frontal lobe, as the case may be).

    In my case, I was pretty involved in the meetings and analysis which followed the changes to the Firearms Acts laid out in the Criminal Justice Act 2006. As a result, I’ve been tapped once or twice since I stepped down from the NTSA committee last year to give an opinion on some stuff that led on from that. Hence the invitation to this week’s FCP conference that dropped in my letterbox last week. There’s no confidentiality agreement involved here so far as I know, so here’s the agenda. I’ll report on it afterwards (and maybe during).

    FCPConferenceAgenda1_small.jpg

    FCPConferenceAgenda2_small.jpg


«13456789

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭ chem
    Registered User


    So now we have a man on the inside:D;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 thehair


    great keep up the good work sparks:cool:


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    chem wrote: »
    So now we have a man on the inside:D;)
    Several actually. Anyone else want to decloak as having been invited?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭ rrpc


    Sparks wrote: »
    Several actually. Anyone else want to decloak as having been invited?

    Decloak :D:D

    Is that a trekkyism or a stargateism?

    I'm going along to make sure Sparks doesn't start a fight with anyone (except me of course) :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭ chem
    Registered User


    mmmmm has all the marks of a bond evil villan meeting:) who is at the top of the table stroking the white cat:rolleyes:

    Do you think this is the big one Sparks? Unvailling of the Ark of the Covenant? Or finish up like a lost episode? more questions then answers.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭ Leupold
    Banned


    The Agenda has all the apperance of window dressing. There seems to be no account taken of the implications of the recent court cases/Attoney General's opinion etc.. Also no body seems to be speaking on behalf of the rifle/pistol target shooters in Ireland or will the guy from the UK be representing us?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 13,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭ It wasn't me!
    Moderator


    Leupold wrote: »
    The Agenda has all the apperance of window dressing. There seems to be no account taken of the implications of the recent court cases/Attoney General's opinion etc.. Also no body seems to be speaking on behalf of the rifle/pistol target shooters in Ireland or will the guy from the UK be representing us?

    There are several open forum slots, and the Olympic shooting spokesman seems to have the ISSF stuff on his table too.


  • Subscribers Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭ IRLConor
    Subscriber


    chem wrote: »
    Unvailling of the Ark of the Covenant?

    I hope not, that ends up like this:

    toht.jpg

    My view on the meeting is that it's a very good step along a very long process. The more people we get together in the same room talking to each other and realising that nobody has hooves and horns, the better.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    chem wrote: »
    mmmmm has all the marks of a bond evil villan meeting:) who is at the top of the table stroking the white cat:rolleyes:
    I don't much care so long as neither I nor rrpc have to wear bikinis...
    Do you think this is the big one Sparks? Unvailling of the Ark of the Covenant? Or finish up like a lost episode? more questions then answers.
    I seem to remember the Ark of the Covenant ending with the Ark being locked away in storage, never to be looked at again :D

    I don't think we'll have "a big one" to be honest chem, I think it's going to be a lot more anticlimatic than that. But this should be a pretty large step allright.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    Leupold wrote: »
    The Agenda has all the apperance of window dressing. There seems to be no account taken of the implications of the recent court cases/Attoney General's opinion etc.. Also no body seems to be speaking on behalf of the rifle/pistol target shooters in Ireland or will the guy from the UK be representing us?
    • Window dressing is not how I'd describe a conference that gets this many people to discuss firearms legislation with garda superintendents. We've been saying for decades that we needed this sort of thing; well, here it is.
    • The recent court case judgements aren't even available yet, so how could they be specifically addressed in a conference whose agenda was set before the ruling last friday?
    • I'm sure Des Crofton would feel aggrieved at the thought that he doesn't represent rifle and pistol shooters, when the NARGC did the heavy lifting in regard to the court cases in the past decade. But even if not, Kevin Kilty's an ISSF class A coach - you cannot be a class A coach if you can't coach at least two disciplines (which for Kevin was shotgun and pistol IIRC).
    • The guy from the UK is from the Surrey Police - and I'd love to know how you could be a policeman in Surrey and not know about firearms licencing and target shooting, since you'd be sitting right longside Bisley...
    • No-one said it was perfect. No-one promised it'd be perfect before now either. For one thing, the IPSA won't be there (I understand), which is a major flaw in the process. However, it's a damn sight better than things were when I started shooting.
    • Have you a specific question to be put? Have you forwarded your concerns on to your representatives on the FCP, or failing them, the chairman of the FCP?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭ cantona


    You are right Sparks, that an invitation was not forthcoming to the IPSA.

    But this is hardly surprising considering that the official response we recieved stated that the members of the FCP were left to decide who to invite.

    So after all the recent uproar, the FCP were not going to back down and admit that we should have been there from the start.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Bananaman
    Registered User


    I'd be interested in seeing or reading these presentations at some point if they can be placed in the public domain.

    With IPSC being one of the (I don't know the stats so I cannot say it IS THE) fastest growing shooting sports on the island do we think that it will be discussed in this forum? Workshop 3 perchance?

    Could the question of IPSA inclusion on the FCP be chaired?

    I'm not stirring the sh1t here or waving some conspiracy flag but I have a vested interest, as do another couple of hundred active shooters.

    To me that is a very large, very quickly growing group, to remain disenfranchised.

    That is but one group in the area of centrefire pistols - I sense a certain trend towards Hunting and Olympic disciplines in the agenda.

    If other people on the FCP feel that IPSA should be there is it not their duty to voice their opinion?

    B'Man


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭ packas


    Bananaman wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing or reading these presentations at some point if they can be placed in the public domain.

    With IPSC being one of the (I don't know the stats so I cannot say it IS THE) fastest growing shooting sports on the island do we think that it will be discussed in this forum? Workshop 3 perchance?

    Could the question of IPSA inclusion on the FCP be chaired?

    I'm not stirring the sh1t here or waving some conspiracy flag but I have a vested interest, as do another couple of hundred active shooters.

    To me that is a very large, very quickly growing group, to remain disenfranchised.

    That is but one group in the area of centrefire pistols - I sense a certain trend towards Hunting and Olympic disciplines in the agenda.

    If other people on the FCP feel that IPSA should be there is it not their duty to voice their opinion?

    B'Man


    I agree. Is anyone in the know willing to tell me why the IPSC NGB for Ireland is not being invited this time around? IPSA are getting large number of applications for membership monthly. The sport is growing rapidly in Ireland and as such should it not have a voice as to the future of target shooting sports in Ireland. Shooters are travelling to International compeitions monthly. This week for examply we've 8 shooters gonig th Germany. Next month we've some going to Norway & in Oct. we've a squad going to the world shoot in Bali. What's the problem lads?????? Anyone on the outside looking at this would think IPSA & IPSC are being discrimated against unfairly.


  • Subscribers Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭ IRLConor
    Subscriber


    packas wrote: »
    I agree. Is anyone in the know willing to tell me why the IPSC NGB for Ireland is not being invited this time around? IPSA are getting large number of applications for membership monthly. The sport is growing rapidly in Ireland and as such should it not have a voice as to the future of target shooting sports in Ireland. Shooters are travelling to International compeitions monthly. This week for examply we've 8 shooters gonig th Germany. Next month we've some going to Norway & in Oct. we've a squad going to the world shoot in Bali. What's the problem lads?????? Anyone on the outside looking at this would think IPSA & IPSC are being discrimated against unfairly.

    I'm open to correction, but it's my understanding that the FCP was put together by the DoJ. They decided who to invite and who not to invite. I suspect the conference is the same deal again.

    As to why the IPSA aren't invited, I have no idea. There are a bunch of reasons ranging from oversight to deliberate exclusion with everything in between.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Vegeta
    Moderator


    Personally I think the IPSA should have been invited. That's my view on that topic.

    Secondly Sparks, will you be there the first day, the 8th (tomorrow).

    Could you keep an ear out for mention of the following

    One man one license, or could someone ask the question of him. Simply if the gardai would be in favour of such a system. (maybe in the 12.00 talk by Super Noel Clarke)

    Use of moderators for full bore rifles and permission to reload (at 11.00 by Garret Byrne, maybe or again could a sit rep of those issues be requested of him)

    Informal target shooting and its legality (don't know who might bring this up)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Bananaman
    Registered User


    A real thorn in the side for many competitors trying to come to Ireland is the lack of acceptance of the European Firearms pass on its own and failing that the requirement to surrender the original pass itself during the application process.

    As the "competition season" tends to be VERY busy people will not be willing to do this for the period of time (~ 8 weeks) it may take to be issued their Irish cert. In our won cases we invariably need only the EFP to attend a competition abroad. Usually the Competition Invite to show the reason but it is usually an easy process.

    Perhaps a motion could be tabled to look at a mechanism for people to send in a copy of their European Firearms Pass when applying for an Irish permit - perhaps notorised by their local Police.

    B'Man


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Bananaman
    Registered User


    I realise - have heard this second hand - that the current process is in place as people had a problem with hunters from abroad not having to pay for a license whereas those here did. Prior to that we had a better permit process.

    Obviously the answer there is to have a hunting license - much like a fishing license - for foreign nationals, who wish to hunt but do not hold an Irish Firearms Certificate. Then for, foreign nationals, attending competitions, a basic permit (EFP) would be fine.

    B'Man


  • Subscribers Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭ IRLConor
    Subscriber


    Bananaman wrote: »
    A real thorn in the side for many competitors trying to come to Ireland is the lack of acceptance of the European Firearms pass on its own and failing that the requirement to surrender the original pass itself during the application process.

    As the "competition season" tends to be VERY busy people will not be willing to do this for the period of time (~ 8 weeks) it may take to be issued their Irish cert. In our won cases we invariably need only the EFP to attend a competition abroad. Usually the Competition Invite to show the reason but it is usually an easy process.

    Perhaps a motion could be tabled to look at a mechanism for people to send in a copy of their European Firearms Pass when applying for an Irish permit - perhaps notorised by their local Police.

    B'Man

    That's certainly a big problem with our licensing system. The only consolation is that the cert issued for a visitor is valid for a year (it's just a regular FAC as far as I know).

    There are a bunch of people on the FCP who represent organisations who are affected by this silliness, so I can't see why at least one of them wouldn't bring it up for discussion at some stage.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭ rrpc


    Bananaman wrote: »
    A real thorn in the side for many competitors trying to come to Ireland is the lack of acceptance of the European Firearms pass on its own and failing that the requirement to surrender the original pass itself during the application process.
    This has been already raised at the FCP. According to the FCP briefing document issued last month:
    [FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
    EU Firearms Passport.
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    We wish to see this fully implemented as originally intended. We also want the Gardai to consider early renewal of the EU Firearms Passport to facilitate foreign travel where necessary.
    The shooting associations are seeking to have a copy of the EU Pass being acceptable to the Gardai instead of the original, as this causes huge problems for sports shooters wishing to travel to other events while the Gardai are holding the original document for up to one month.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭ rrpc


    Vegeta wrote: »
    One man one license, or could someone ask the question of him. Simply if the gardai would be in favour of such a system. (maybe in the 12.00 talk by Super Noel Clarke)
    That's been raised at every opportunity and rejected due to pulse incompatability AFAIK. Will be raised again and again and again and again and again.......
    Use of moderators for full bore rifles and permission to reload (at 11.00 by Garret Byrne, maybe or again could a sit rep of those issues be requested of him)
    These are being worked on AFAIK. SSAI are working hard on the reloading issue.
    Informal target shooting and its legality (don't know who might bring this up)
    Really needs a definition of target shooting and ranges in the act. Will try.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    The EFP problem is also going to be helped enormously by the new EU directives regarding the EFP which basicly say "do it the way you should have been doing it lads".


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    Vegeta wrote: »
    Personally I think the IPSA should have been invited. That's my view on that topic.
    And of many others as well.
    Secondly Sparks, will you be there the first day, the 8th (tomorrow).
    Yes, I'm there both days.
    Could you keep an ear out for mention of the following
    Will do, but as rrpc's said, they've been brought up several times before. No harm in asking again though...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭ meathshooter


    can you also bring up the issue of reloading


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭ rrpc


    can you also bring up the issue of reloading

    RTFT :). This has already been covered.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Bananaman
    Registered User


    The last definitive statement we heard on the "restricted list" was that when we come to renew our license we must inform the Garda in question that the firearm in question is now restricted as per the prescribed list.

    Is this still the case or does the require clarification at the conference?

    B'Man


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭ rrpc


    Bananaman wrote:
    The last definitive statement we heard on the "restricted list" was that when we come to renew our license we must inform the Garda in question that the firearm in question is now restricted as per the prescribed list.

    Is this groundhog day?

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055277876

    :)


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 40,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sparks
    Moderator


    All these things have been raised before by the FCP; but this would be the first opportunity to get a public statement on them really. And certainly the planned approach to the restricted list in light of O'Leary v Maher would be something to ask about.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45
    Registered User


    One other to bring up is the story with the restricted list.Is this go /no go/pending??Also as to why pistol gripped/folding stocked shotguns are now on this ?
    Basically a clarification/update on this would be most appreciated.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭ cantona


    Just to clarify the lack of invitation to the IPSA, and the fact that invitations came from FCP not DOJ, below is excerpt from an official DOJ e-mail

    "With regard to the invitations, I understand that some have issued. Due to
    the limited numbers than can be accommodated at the venue, we requested
    nominations from the shooting community to be channelled through the FCP."

    We lobbied both DOJ and FCP members for an invite, but again to no avail.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭ packas


    cantona wrote: »
    Just to clarify the lack of invitation to the IPSA, and the fact that invitations came from FCP not DOJ, below is excerpt from an official DOJ e-mail

    "With regard to the invitations, I understand that some have issued. Due to
    the limited numbers than can be accommodated at the venue, we requested
    nominations from the shooting community to be channelled through the FCP."

    We lobbied both DOJ and FCP members for an invite, but again to no avail.


    it would be good to know what issue other shooting bodies have with IPSA :confused::confused::confused:


Advertisement