Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

showry wrote: »
    Should I go back and have a read of the other 5 first xebec or can you just dive into this one?

I've reread the first one loads of times, but I remember feck all about the other 4... As long as you're aware of who the characters are and their basic personalities then there's no problem picking this one up straight away.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

A Little History of the World by Ernst H. Gombrich

Technically a kids book, but a wonderfully written short account of the world from prehistoric times to modern day.

Tickling the English by Dara O'Briain

The Associate by John Grisham

Was really enjoying this, but pretty much ran out of steam towards the end. Pity really, lots of ways he could have taken it, but instead he took the simple way out.

• Advertisement

Paula: My Story So Far by Paula Radcliffe

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

The Man Inside The Jacket by Mr Tayto

Makers by Cory Doctorow

• Advertisement

According to this list, that makes it 42 books for 2009. Not bad going considering how much time I've been devoting to running and study. Nearly finished number 1 of 2010 as well... This book habit costs me a fortune!!

SuperFreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Didn't realise there is a movie of this coming out until after I started reading. Very emotional and thought-provoking short book...

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Fantastic!

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson

Enjoyable, but not the best of the trilogy...

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: or, the Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale

Took a long time to get through this. Don't generally read non-fiction and found that some of the extra details really didn't interest me.

Watchman by Ian Rankin

One of Rankin's first books, short but tense thriller based on Military Intelligence and the Troubles...

Ultramarathon Man: Confesssions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes

If you're ever looking for a bit of hardcore motivation then you could do far worse than to read this book. Brilliant story of one man challenging himself, his mind and his body to handle pain most of us could never comprehend. The sources of his motivation to get to the end of these mega races is by itself an invaluable lesson about finding a reason to do what you do...

• Advertisement

The Appeal by John Grisham

The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle

Last of the Henry Smart trilogy. Doesn't quite live up to the fun and excitement of the first book but still an excellent read. Some great insights into Irish history and the series as a whole covers what being involved in Repulicanism and the IRA was like over the entire 20th Century.

The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

Picked this up because it's the One City One Book book for this year. Had never really thought about reading it before and was kind of put off by people saying they didn't make it through it etc. Found it tough going at points and has taken me longer than it normally would to finish it up.

Overall, very enjoyable book. Some great quotes in it and lots of little life lessons. A couple of chapters in the middle really lost me, but towards the end I was thoroughly enjoying what was going on and how Dorian was changing. A book for everyone? Nope. Worth a try? Yes.

Crime by Irvine Welsh

Another Welsh classic. Gripping thriller which is an excellent read. Particularly disturbing in topic and some of the descriptions were a little too close to reality but seems like a reasonably accurate protrayal of the topic...

I Can See You by Karen Rose

Very good crime thriller about a strange serial killer... Kept me guessing until about 80% through...

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Easily the best running book I've read. Some great stories about running feats mixed with some history and anthropology...

A Season In Hell by Jack Higgins

Ford County Stories by John Grisham

Great collection of short stories. A mix of themes, mostly based around the legal profession as expected from Grisham, but also looking at human emotion and themes such as gambling and terminal illness.

The Grey Man by Andy McNab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Best Price Accessories

Anna Karina by Tolstoy

Once you get over the introduction of all the Russian names and get to know who is who you'll be hooked!

Advertisement