Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play by ear/year?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Play it by year doesn't make any sense. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

YOU don't make any sense.

Well, maybe you do, but, um, shut up! that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Slow coach wrote: »
    Urban Dictionary says it is a "common misphrasing" :confused:

I know there are some phrases which could be taken either way "could care less" Vs "Couldn't care less" etc but play it by year?

Irish Halo wrote: »
    I know there are some phrases which could be taken either way "could care less" Vs "Couldn't care less" ...
    That shouldn't be taken either way; it's just that a large number of large idiots make the same mistake. bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Karoma wrote: »
    YOU don't make any sense.

Well, maybe you do, but, um, shut up! that's why.
    loev <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Definitely "play it by ear" ... i.e. I will make my decision based on additional information as it becomes available (I hear about it)

I'd disagree that that would be the "definition" of it...playing something by ear comes from the trait of a musician being able to play a tune by ear...ie. hear it, and then manage to play along to it without needing to read the music.
    So "playing it by ear", is more like making it up as you go along and/or improvising.

How the OP got "year" from it confuses me...how the hell do you play something by year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I was unsure for a long time about which one it was too. Easily done: say "play it by ear" and then "play it by year" in quick succession at the same speed and you'll be hard pushed to notice any difference in the way they are pronounced, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You know I've never heard anybody say either of those and haven't a fecking clue what it even means.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spelling is

play it by ear

but when you say it it sounds like this

playit byear

On account of adding an extra sound between vowels (y in this case) to make them slide into each other. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sherifu wrote: »
    Play it by year doesn't make any sense. :confused:

I know. This thread is just baffling. How could anyone possible believe it to be "play it by year ?

From Encarta :

"play it by ear to improvise or adapt your response to a situation as it occurs rather than make plans in advance"

(decide on one's actions as one goes along, depending on the situation) "She didn't know what to expect from her new job, so she played it by ear"

Both my brother and I are musicians. He can hear a piece of music on the radio, pick up a guitar and play along to it once he's figured out the key, chords, etc. I couldn't do this for love nor money.

My brother has the ability to "play by ear" while I have to put up playing by reading music. I can't improvise as he can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

play it by ear, big lol at play it by year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I thought it was play it by year. I don't want to conform!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Once my armed forces overthrow the government in a coup t'état, I will then have to figure out how to make Ireland prosper. Think I'll just play it by fear for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jog On Cnut

I always thought it was Play it By Year

Because I am in no rush to make a decision, and a year is a period of time in the future.

Even if it is play it by ear I'm not going change what I say now, I've been saying play it by year my whole life and no one has ever questioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

Play it by ear.

eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Years ago (or ears ago, whatever) I used to think this was "play it by year", meaning, we'll take our time with this decision and see how things pan out.

The phrase is definitely "play it by ear" though meaning to listen to the music and play along rather than read it from the sheet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Even if it is play it by ear I'm not going change what I say now, I've been saying play it by year my whole life and no one has ever questioned it.

Naaa, they just laugh at you behind you back. It's much more satisfactory..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Play it by EAR.
    Originated from jazz/blues players in the US in the 1930's. When they were playing, ad'lib.... improvising, what ever you call it, they would say play it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Seriously guys, are you sure you're not making this phrase up to confuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

How on earth does the OP think 'play it by year' makes sense?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    Naaa, they just laugh at you behind you back. It's much more satisfactory..

hey the jerk store called, they're running out of you

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

How to win friends and influence people! :rolleyes:

How to win friends and influence people! :rolleyes:

lighten up, its only the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

EAR. ps I bet you just highlighted this.

¬_¬
    Settle down & behave, kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

MMMMM jerky. *drool*

¬_¬

Settle down & behave, kids.

she started it

she started it

How do I put this politely?... Shut up. Familiarise yourself with the AH charter and forum before posting again...please.

How do I put this politely?... Shut up. Familiarise yourself with the AH charter and forum before posting again...please.

you shut up, I'm very familiar with the AH charter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

How has this inane thread spread to 4 pages? time to unsubscribe in my CP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement