Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Irish Weather?

Options
  • 27-04-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭

What a beautiful Spring day today. The thunder only lasted 15 minutes and only one shower of hailstones. A perfect Irish day. It certainly beats the torrential hailstones last week which really hurt when the hit the sunburn I'd gotten a few minutes earlier.

I have to say, I actually love the Irish weather. I'm not a big fan of the sun, so the few weeks we do get each year does me fine and I really enjoy them. I actually like the rain and the cold, so Irish winters are cool for me. They're actually quite mild when you think about it and it never really gets to any uncomfortable extremes.

Do you like the lovely weather on the fair isle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

When its good, its really good.

I hate the wishy washy weather when no one knows if its warm, cold, rainy or dry. This makes me sick, and makes me unhappy in general :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Archeron wrote: »
    The thunder only lasted 15 minutes
    Noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm in Meath and the thunder lasted a lot longer than 15 minutes, not that I'm complaining because I love T&L, plus we got tons of hail stones too. It was a beautiful day earlier though, I went for a walk in the woods, so yeah, I suppose I like Irish weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It pissed rain down here all day. I love the irish weather though because i cant stand the sun for too long anyway. Im too fat, fat blokes = more sweat = uncomfortable. Irish weather suits me perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Irish /uk weather is pretty much the same . I just wish we could have better springs and summers so that we can have somthing to look foreward to at end of winter :)

who want to have endless winter weather ? .A big factor in people moving away to hot climates i believe.

• Advertisement

Irish weather sucks old man cheesy pants.
    I want a summer and I want a ski season. ~sulk~

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Irish weather pwns roasting hot weather. Nothing like an atlantic gale. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The weather was great today, but only because I was studying and I could see people getting soaked outside from my nice warm apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Funny thing is you always hear from the media that 'everyone' wishes it was like Spain here all the time with sticky searing heat.
    How wrong they are, i like the weather, its damn refreshing and can be fascinating at times. Its not too hot, not too cold, air is moist and that clean wind is good for your lungs!!

I know plenty of people who love the Irish weather also, they also hate the heat!

Yep. Especially when it's extra windy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When it's hot, it's just perfect. The heat on the continent can be stifling, but in Ireland it's always nice and temperate, with a bit of a breeze too. Nice :)

But when it's bad, it's horrid.

In the main I don't mind, once we don't get a repeat of last summer. I don't think I'd be too happy with weather such as that in the mid US, freezing in winter and 30°C+ in summer. I even find 25/26 too much to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I don't like hot weather so I love Irish weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

if i could do a deal with god i would ask for our year round 365 days a year weather to be just like today

we have a lovely climate here - never too hot never to cold

lived a year in oz , loved it BUT soon tired of the constant heat and constant need for factor 2 milion to stop turning into crispy bacon

we are a very very lucky country

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Today I would trade Irish for So Cal indeed! It's just too hot at 35C! And I live near the beach. The poor souls in LA must be dying with heat and smog.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

We don't have the worst deal here but sometimes wish we had a definite summer and winter. Last summer was just taking the p*ss!

Hopefully the Gulf Stream doesn't get diverted anytime soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

shmoo!
    i counted five swallows yesterday and the old saying "2 swallows dont make a summer" rang in me head,.... yes i love irish weather, its mental! but ive a funny feelin this year is gonna be scorchio!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hot weather ftw.

We've just come out of about three months where every day was in the early 30s at least. Absolutely gorgeous. You get up in the morning and it's sunny. No need for a jacket going to work and you're dry when you get there. Just puts you in a good mood for the day. There's so much more you can do as well when there's no pissing rain/gale force winds/thunder storms etc.

It's one of the big reasons why I'm still over here. Ireland is a great country but the weather just makes it miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

Sunlight makes people feel good and full of passion.
    I like the sunlight and hot weather, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i miss it, for the most part. it's nice in february to have a month of what i'd call particularly good irish summer weather, but the rest of the year here, it's tending towards to hot or too cold, and autumn, so far, seems to be frost and ice in the mornings, with a lovely summer day in the afternoons. i kinda still miss the wishy washy irish weather though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Couple of weeks ago I left my house in brilliant sunshine to go one and a half miles to the village shop. When I got there, hailstones where lashing the pavements. Arriving back home, heavy rain and strong, cold wind. An hour or so later the wind had gone and the sky cleared to a misty haze with the sun sneaking through, at which point snow began to fall. Anyone who finds summer exhilirating and winter depressing must go through so many emotions in an average Irish day that it must threaten their mental stability:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No extremes really in Irish weather....what's not to like really? We get some nice winter storms but nothing that will leave you homeless, a lot of rain but we don't get floods up my way, nice bit of sun that's never too hot (I like hot weather, butonce you pass 80-90, it get's tiresome unless you're on holiday)...no really bad freezes....my only complaint is a lack of T-storms, but that's as much to do with my area as it is to do with Ireland's climate.
    When the weather's playing ball in this country it's one of the nicest places in the world...but that said, there's nothing like a sh*tty cold damp grey Irish day to get you down...

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

yes, i love it like a kick in the nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Sometimes get fed up with lack of fair weather, but overall we were made for this weather and it was made for us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not a big fan of the sun either but I wouldn't mind if our climate was a bit more consistent. Anything goes with Irish weather, especially this time of year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I enjoy bright sunshine just as much as hailstones and thunderstorms (once I'm not caught outside!) so I'd have to say I do like the Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Xavi6 wrote: »
    We've just come out of about three months where every day was in the early 30s at least. Absolutely gorgeous. You get up in the morning and it's sunny. No need for a jacket going to work and you're dry when you get there.
    Sounds bloody awful :D I hate anything much above 20 celsius, and at those temperatures, I'd be anything but dry by the time I got to work .. I'd need a cold shower and about 5 cans of anti-persperant when I got there.

Still, each to his own. I actually like the unpredictability of Irish weather, much more interesting than day after day of "Scorchio!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Twas raining this morning and my little brother, who was to embark on a school trip was a bit upset. They were heading to Kilmainham gaol and were to stop off at the Phoenix Park if the weather was any good.

My dad simply told him: "Thats the good thing about Irish weather, if you don't like it, just wait 15 minutes and it will change."

Sure enough, it's sunny out now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

On our best summer's day yes. Every other day, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

janeybabe wrote: »
    The weather was great today, but only because I was studying and I could see people getting soaked outside from my nice warm apartment.

Somthing seriouly disturbing in our taken comfort in other peoples discomfort .I am sure it is not just an irish thing ............then again .

Advertisement