Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some moths I record in my garden

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks Mothman, i think she'll like that one :). They were indeed all over the ragwort.

I don't think the oak eggar is the kitchen caterpillar.. he seemed very black and very hairy but as you say I wasn't looking at the finer detail. This was about 3 weeks ago.

edit.... although looking again at the pictures there the later stage one could be a possibility. I also found a cocoon stuck to the bottom of a bag that looked just like that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

thanks Mothman,
    grid ref for the green one is
    696 894, a mountainside townland called Barkillew. (you can see it in the Donegal photo game thread, but don't be telling them)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Amazing photos - is it difficult to get them to stay still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

pops wrote: »
    Amazing photos - is it difficult to get them to stay still?
    General no. Most moth species are nocturnal and rest by day, so sort of in sleep mode during day. The heavier moth usually can't fly from cold anyway, they need to warm their wing muscles for a while (perhaps minutes) before flying. This takes much energy and they are usually relunctant to start this process, so they are usually very cooperative. The lighter (more butterfly type) and small moths can fly from cold and they are more problematic to photo, but a little patience goes a long way.

littlebug wrote: »
    Thanks Mothman, i think she'll like that one :). They were indeed all over the ragwort.

I don't think the oak eggar is the kitchen caterpillar.. he seemed very black and very hairy but as you say I wasn't looking at the finer detail. This was about 3 weeks ago.

edit.... although looking again at the pictures there the later stage one could be a possibility. I also found a cocoon stuck to the bottom of a bag that looked just like that one.
    Recent and pupated rules out some likely species. Fox Moth and Drinker Moth overwinter as caterpillars.I therefore think it's most likely Oak/Northern Eggar.
    If you still have the cocoon, you could keep and see what emerges, though probably next year though if indoors maybe much earlier.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Recent and pupated rules out some likely species. Fox Moth and Drinker Moth overwinter as caterpillars.I therefore think it's most likely Oak/Northern Eggar.
    If you still have the cocoon, you could keep and see what emerges, though probably next year though if indoors maybe much earlier.

I was browsing through one of the websites you linked to earlier and had also picked out the Northern Eggar as a possibility.. mainly based on the cocoon (assuming it was made by the same species). I'm willing to concede that it being 4 inches long may have been a figment of my bleary 3am imagination. I didn't think to keep the cocoon. This wasn't at home... so the cocoon appeared during that the 10 days we were there. We needed the bag when we were leaving so I re-located it outside. I'll check if it's still there next time... if the birds haven't had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mellickricky

I just came across this thread...I love it MOTHMAN your the man, its a great thread.

You may find this interesting or maybe not but il tell you (moth man). I did my thesis about fox diet compared seasonal and geographic variations....In afew foxes I found that the stomachs were full, packed full of (Noctua pronuba) caterpillars. I was really surprised until I began to find other unexpected visitors:confused:

Do you know if that would be common for them to be a prey species of large mammals?

I concluded that foxes are oppertunistic omnivores literally preying on any availabe and easily taken food source.

I just came across this thread...I love it MOTHMAN your the man, its a great thread.

You may find this interesting or maybe not but il tell you (moth man). I did my thesis about fox diet compared seasonal and geographic variations....In afew foxes I found that the stomachs were full, packed full of (Noctua pronuba) caterpillars. I was really surprised until I began to find other unexpected visitors:confused:

Do you know if that would be common for them to be a prey species of large mammals?

I concluded that foxes are oppertunistic omnivores literally preying on any availabe and easily taken food source.
    Thanks for that info ricky about foxes diet. That is really interesting! And yes, they make up a significant part of Badgers diet as well - much more so in Irish badgers compared to badgers in Britain. Perhaps you may be able to locate the paper.

By the way for anone else reading this, Noctua pronuba = Large Yellow Underwing. An abundant moth in grassland across all of Ireland.

I was browsing through one of the websites you linked to earlier and had also picked out the Northern Eggar as a possibility.. mainly based on the cocoon (assuming it was made by the same species). I'm willing to concede that it being 4 inches long may have been a figment of my bleary 3am imagination. I didn't think to keep the cocoon. This wasn't at home... so the cocoon appeared during that the 10 days we were there. We needed the bag when we were leaving so I re-located it outside. I'll check if it's still there next time... if the birds haven't had it.
    Littlebug, I did convert your 4 inches to 3 inches, BUT, if it was perhaps really about 2 inches then that brings many other species into contention...

Thanks for that info ricky about foxes diet. That is really interesting! And yes, they make up a significant part of Badgers diet as well - much more so in Irish badgers compared to badgers in Britain. Perhaps you may be able to locate the paper.

By the way for anone else reading this, Noctua pronuba = Large Yellow Underwing. An abundant moth in grassland across all of Ireland.

Il dig it out and send it on...remind me if i forget...il be watching the thread.

• Advertisement

Littlebug, I did convert your 4 inches to 3 inches, BUT, if it was perhaps really about 2 inches then that brings many other species into contention...

It definitely wasn't 2 inches ..I would say it was at least 3.;)

I've had numerous requests since last picture upload for more. I've gone through and picked out interesting ones from past few months. Not all from garden as I do some recording away from home.

B8D519F6F8F144DA9326CA0AA46A842D.jpg
    Blood-vein, The Raven Co. Wexford. Rarely recorded now though I had one in garden a few years back

E4899483AF434562BEF7301CE89E095C.jpg
    Frosted Orange, 2 nights ago in Garden

D5757656AD7948A7BA3E3E57BCB87133.jpg
    Yellow-tail caterpillar. A number of them feeding on Bistort one metre from my front door.

F57CE223134D4294965086B35FEB0C99.jpg
    Archer's Dart. This one at coast, but I've seen it in the garden

1E9EA9584C794C93AD49E47268B0C257.jpg
    Barred Straw. photo seems to be slightly out of focus, but the resting posture makes this moth quite distinctive. Regular in garden.

B424CDEFFF5E4904A5962ED4D8B0244F-800.jpg
    Beautiful Brocade. Kerry in early June

7683CEE080DE43969446CAF5EA0A675A.jpg
    A very green Brindled Green. 2 nights ago in garden. Often this species has scarcely any green. I've never seen one so green.

C22AB2C791364907AFDF939C4EF8C805-800.jpg
    Campion Not sure where this was taken, but it do see it in garden most years

019C3AF50EF244429F2082757861CE0B.jpg
    Little Emerald
    A fresh specimen. This species fades to white quite quickly.

More to follow...

466E72B849484983BC3409B64B678EC4.jpg
    Micropterix aureatella This one is tiny, about 5mm long. But small is beautiful...

5E28A3595980462E906B4CC24AC6333C.jpg
    This Swallow-tailed moth was caught by a spider, Misumena vatia

DAFC45D773074598B9A85552FA1839B0.jpg
    B63AE20CCAD04EBC86CFC98F0E4E138F.jpg
    1026F09AFCD04DB8B3ACE523E0C82414.jpg
    3 views of a male Fox Moth. Daytime flyer, but this one came to a light trap. The bottom picture is typical resting posture. I though the front on view looked a bit like a large animal and the top one is getting ready to fly.

803D71B1A6EC4E5693373F910CAD3842.jpg
    003680E96B07435C8784D3F4BA0EEA70-800.jpg
    2 views of Clouded Buff. I've seen it in garden many years ago, but the top one was seen in Kerry and the lower one with hindwings on view was at coast in south Co. Wicklow

8374065A1F9E4898996F5CD3CC762D16.jpg
    EF7D01C976D44D8E8A6DF56B94D4945D-800.jpg
    BB797B81AD7C450DBB1771F07F1E35F7.jpg
    3 views of the same moth. A Canary-shouldered Thorn in the garden 2 days ago.

That's all for now.

I received a PM which included the following
    "I wanted to ask you about the relationship between moths and light .

1. Why are they (and other things) attracted to bright light ?
    and
    2. what impact do you think artificial lights have had on the moth population ?? "

I'm sure there are others with similar questions, so I'll answer here.

I don't know the answer to question one. There are theories.
    One is that moths use light to aid navigation. By keeping the moon to one side they can fly straight. However when this moon is a nearby light, the effect of keeping this light on one side is that they fly in circles, ever decreasing till they reach the ligt.

Another theory is that they are dazzled by the light. The compound eye of the moth turns the light into a ring and they fly towards the dark centre of the ring and end up at the light.

I'm sure there are other theories.

Question 2 was asking my opinion. Definitely an impact, but this impact will vary depending on the species. The impact is distracting the moths from their normal activities and affecting the predator/prey relationship to name 2. While I think lights have a negative impact in general, I feel there are many other factors having a greater negative impact, such as loss of native habitat.

Some reading material
    8 page pdf about Ecological Light Pollution

31 page pdf about Impact of outdoor lighting on moths

I realise that this post may provoke discusison away from my intention for this thread. If this does happen, I'll ask a mod to clean this thread by moving this post and follow ups to a new thread.

Moths must use light and scent to pollinate the butterfly orchids at night.

I was at my back door looking at the moon and I noticed a moth hanging out at the door so i let him in to have a closer look to my girlfriends distress.

It headed for the light as I went to get my camera and when I got back the following had happened.Ref the jpeg.

My new found interest in moths inspired by "mothman" has led me being involved in a murder.

The irony...I was just trying to help.

I think it looked like an Emerald but im probably so wrong.

Sorry Mothman:(

Silver Ys on wing in my garden now.

I was at my back door looking at the moon and I noticed a moth hanging out at the door so i let him in to have a closer look to my girlfriends distress.

It headed for the light as I went to get my camera and when I got back the following had happened.Ref the jpeg.

My new found interest in moths inspired by "mothman" has led me being involved in a murder.

The irony...I was just trying to help.

I think it looked like an Emerald but im probably so wrong.

Sorry Mothman:(
    You know spiders need to live as well! Part of nature. The moth is well beyond identification!
    And I've been there with trying to help nature with unexpected outcome. Its one for the story thread!

And to repeat Durnish's sighting. Silver Y are abundant at moment especially in the sunshine. Most gardens with nectar plants will probably have Silver Y. Peak time is at sunset or a little after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

And to repeat Durnish's sighting. Silver Y are abundant at moment especially in the sunshine. Most gardens with nectar plants will probably have Silver Y. Peak time is at sunset or a little after.

Are the numbers up this year Angus cos I'm seeing them everywhere ATM??:)

hah ha, hummingbird hawk moth, seen in my garden today. First one this year.
    I may be further north than most of the rest of youse.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Are the numbers up this year Angus cos I'm seeing them everywhere ATM??:)
    You may recall the Painted Lady influx at end of May. A lot of Silver Y came in then and what we are seeing now are the progeny of that influx.

does the hummingbird hawkmoth have a new generation as well,
    or do a new lot fly in from le Continonc?

There can be immigrants coming in any time and while I don't think a complete life cycle in Ireland has been proved, I'm sure it has happened.

It is also possible that the occassional adult hibernates in Ireland particularly in southerncoastal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Not sure whether this is alright to post ID queries here but sure here goes! I'm guessing this is a Hedge or Common Rustic but I'm not sure. It seemed very comfortable in my hand and was released after the photo was taken.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m258/twinlamps/IMG_5551.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m258/twinlamps/IMG_5556.jpg

Once again, apologies if this is hi-jacking the thread!

Mabel wrote: »

Once again, apologies if this is hi-jacking the thread!
    No worries Mabel, :)
    I'd probably miss it if in different thread.
    This is a rustic, Square-spot Rustic.
    A very variable species and about in large numbers at moment.

Resurrecting this thread with a question. My daughter found this moth in trouble on the grass today. He seems to have a chunk of wing missing.
    She put him up on the butterfly box where he seemed to settle.
    What is it? Does he have any chance of survival?

4912C052C8C64129907C0F94B1BA9DC8-500.jpg

Resurrecting this thread with a question. My daughter found this moth in trouble on the grass today. He seems to have a chunk of wing missing.
    She put him up on the butterfly box where he seemed to settle.
    What is it? Does he have any chance of survival?

This is a Large Yellow Underwing, an abundant moth of grassland.

Rather than a chunk of wing missing, it appears that the wings did not expand fully when it emerged from its pupa. Emergence is always a hazardess time and not all complete it successfully. The wings play no part in the health, meaning that it will live for as long as it doesn't get eaten or its reserves run out. It is probably unable to fly and so is easy prey for birds, spiders etc. Most moths end up as prey anyway. They play a vital part of foodchain.

It is probably unable to fly and so is easy prey for birds, spiders etc. Most moths end up as prey anyway.

Oh so we haven't done it any favours putting up there then? I assume it'll be gone in the morning one way or another.

It is probably unable to fly and so is easy prey for birds, spiders etc. Most moths end up as prey anyway.

Oh so we haven't done it any favours putting up there then? I assume it'll be gone in the morning one way or another.
    I wouldn't concern yourself with rights or wrongs. There are moths everywhere. Anyone garden will inevitably be walking on them, digging them up taking their foodplant away, list goes on....driving a car...
    Anything that succumbs to our activities will not go to waste. It'll be fodder for something else, quite often little things such as ants. Nature doesn't waste.

Oh, it may well be still there in morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cool thread, now I know why you are called....etc!

I had a moth in the cars vents yesterday, it suddenly lifted out from the gap between the windscreen and the dashboard then went back inside. Managed to set it free when it popped up again.

Advertisement