Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] The tearing of the Green

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

markf909 wrote: »

The north city deserves a fully segregated and fast metro service and Frank is losing any shred of credibility he had by opposing new public transport.

uhem, just on this I'd venture to say that the north city doesn't so much deserve it as desperately need it. It's not alone in this. The city as a whole desperately needs a functional integrated public transport system of which this would be just one part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

markpb wrote: »
    If the guys over on archiseek saw that comment, they'd have heart failure :)

If a little fact like that would cause heart failure, they deserve it, point them this way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the station:

Do we know how the stephens green station will be laid out? will the escalators from street level bring you straight to track? or will there be a concourse type area which gives access to the interconnector and metro lines?

is anyone on here concerned about the quality of station design?

I don't mind the use of the park as long as an effort is at least made to save as many trees as possible. only clear what is neccessary - i.e. no clearing just to park trucks. The road shouldn't be spared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hold on, there's nothing new here, we've been talking about this for a long time.

There's [ and correct me if I'm wrong ]

4 transport lines that matter in this context.

Metro North
    Interconnector
    a pie in the Sky Green Line Metro
    and a theoretical Metro out to Tallaght

Now, RPA are harping on about Metro N while IE get to play with the Interconnector crayons

Are they digging them up together ? Not at this time perhaps the DTA will help

Also, Iveagh Gardens will need to go as well since you need places to drop the TBMs etc

Now, although you may rubbish the last two proposals [ Green line and tallaght ] - if you don't plan for them now and put in infrastructure

we'll have to dig it all up again at truly enormous cost . Alternatively definitively trash them all except the Metro [ even the Interconnector, don't string IE along ]

this is the real debate, not turning circles of TBMs

As someone did say, this is being kept extremely quiet, people remember the chaos of building LUAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

markpb wrote: »
    If the guys over on archiseek saw that comment, they'd have heart failure :)

Love the difference between here and Archi.

Here everyones saying "BUILD IT NOW"

Archiseek is saying "OMG DONT BUILD IT"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

trellheim wrote: »
    There's [ and correct me if I'm wrong ]

4 transport lines that matter in this context.

Metro North
    Interconnector
    a pie in the Sky Green Line Metro
    and a theoretical Metro out to Tallaght

I don't think there's any talk of upgrading Luas Green to metro, that's a myth that has been put down time and time again. Likewise, I've never heard of any talk of a metro to Tallaght?
    Now, RPA are harping on about Metro N while IE get to play with the Interconnector crayons. Are they digging them up together ? Not at this time perhaps the DTA will help

They've been working together to ensure co-operation and minimise disruption - apparently - although it's likely they'll use two different construction companies so the work will happen at the same time but in different compounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the station:

Do we know how the stephens green station will be laid out? will the escalators from street level bring you straight to track? or will there be a concourse type area which gives access to the interconnector and metro lines?

is anyone on here concerned about the quality of station design?

I don't mind the use of the park as long as an effort is at least made to save as many trees as possible. only clear what is neccessary - i.e. no clearing just to park trucks. The road shouldn't be spared.
    I'm pretty sure there will be a concourse. I would imagine the to DART and Metro platforms will have a good difference in depth. I also think that the metro and interconnector will have their own separate entrances/exits as well as the main one common to both.

All I would be concerned about would be that the station is functional. That is the most important thing. If it has enough space and IE and the RPA aren't involved in bickering over the running of the station - it should be ok.
    It is a valid point to bring up protection of the green, and should be done with minimal interference, but we need this Metro, it's important we get the metro right at the expense of a few trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Metrobest wrote: »
    All trees die eventually. New ones can be planted in their place.
    But we will all be dead before those trees. If they can spend a bit of money to save trees at Griffith Avenue, they can do the same at the Green.
    Look what happened to O´Connell Street where some old plane trees were chopped to make way for the new street.
    O´Connell Street has been acknowledged by many as a mistake, a half thought our solution. While the wide footpaths are lovely, the median is no longer used as a north-south route, the place is windswept and a lot of people have safety and accessibility issues with the paving.
    Also, Iveagh Gardens will need to go as well since you need places to drop the TBMs etc
    The TBMS will start at DCU and head south. They will then be abandoned underground or cut up either as sections or scrap, no huge pit needed.
    bryanw wrote: »
    It is a valid point to bring up protection of the green, and should be done with minimal interference, but we need this Metro, it's important we get the metro right at the expense of a few trees.
    Do it at the expense of as few trees as possible. Note there are big open green spaces with only grass with the Green, Iveagh Gardens and Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

oconnel streets is crap a bit of cover would be still welcome...

yeah why can't they put the works on the car aprking space, (get rid of the railings and you'll have access), how a big of tree can they move these days?

how close will the new interconnector trainline to stephens green?

could they not have dug down in the plain iveagh lawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

bryanw wrote: »
    All I would be concerned about would be that the station is functional. That is the most important thing. If it has enough space and IE and the RPA aren't involved in bickering over the running of the station - it should be ok.

will the new DTA not take responsibility? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

So : wishing doesn't make it so,

is it the case that the green line tunnel hooking to Bx underground os gone out the window now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

is it the case that the green line tunnel hooking to Bx underground os gone out the window now ?

Of course it is. Sense doesn't matter in Irish planning. Winning (Dail) seats is the driver.

Advertisement