Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biki Spam

Options
  • 25-04-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

not really an issue, just noticed the amount of spam on the biki last night and today. Deleted some last night and just now.
    is this a constant thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It used to be a big problem. I think that's why they added accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It has been addressed before (in Helpdesk by one of the Wiki mastahs, Hobbes, I don't think Cloud has had a chance to look into it. I have power to block accounts but checked last night and it seems like accounts already banned could still post.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ruu wrote: »
    It has been addressed before (in Helpdesk by one of the Wiki mastahs, Hobbes, I don't think Cloud has had a chance to look into it. I have power to block accounts but checked last night and it seems like accounts already banned could still post.
    Unfortunately that's one of the things we lost in The Great Data Corruption of 23-04-2008. All the biki ban records have been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ah i see.
    i suspected shenanigans when the users all had names like kjdf ;jdgfojif kjdnvkdf etc etc

on a lighter note, its a bit stupid, whos gonna click a link in a page of stuck together links.
    thats obviously good advertising from a reputable source :rolleyes::D

Ah I see. *hacks way through spambots with rusty knife*

• Advertisement

king_caesar_godzilla.jpg Ruu in battle mode

Always get this rubbish weapons, nail gun, machine gun even a cap gun but noooo a flippin' rusty, bread knife! *picks up apple*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nerin wrote: »
    ah i see.
    i suspected shenanigans when the users all had names like kjdf ;jdgfojif kjdnvkdf etc etc

on a lighter note, its a bit stupid, whos gonna click a link in a page of stuck together links.
    thats obviously good advertising from a reputable source :rolleyes::D
    Spam scripts are so imaginative. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

didn't see your "biki quotes project" before. Very good :)

Favourite quote so far:

Boggles

"BOARDS.IE Now Ye're Talkin' - Unless we say otherwise Bia'tch!!"

king_caesar_godzilla.jpg Ruu in battle mode

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Always get this rubbish weapons, nail gun, machine gun even a cap gun but noooo a flippin' rusty, bread knife! *picks up apple*

then stop picking a cleric!

Paladin ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

didn't see your "biki quotes project" before.

Reverting spam on the biki is a great way of finding new articles to read. :)

I keep an eye on "Recent changes" to make sure I notice if people play silly buggers with the shooting info I added, I'll revert any spam I notice.

Cool, might be an idea to add a couple more wiki sys ops to give a bit more power to people who actually use it. I'll talk to the powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

CuLT wrote: »
    Cool, might be an idea to add a couple more wiki sys ops to give a bit more power to people who actually use it. I'll talk to the powers.

You're gonna get nerin all excited saying stuff like that

orestes wrote: »
    You're gonna get nerin all excited saying stuff like that
    ahem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

ahem

Don't try and play it cool with me man, I know you soiled yourself a tiny bit when you read that :p

just because im so good i can delete spam when drunk doesnt mean i expect a promotion ^_^ ive no delusions of grandeur, ive not been here long enough...

even though i do kick ass :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... even though i do lick ass :p
    That's the problem with a qwerty keyboard, the k and the l are so close together! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If the wiki authenticated off the vbulletin database, then registration on the wiki could be removed. This would stop the spam and may encourage vbulletin users to post on the wiki more.

A slightly old hack to do this
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112973

And a commercial product to do the same
    http://www.nuhit.com/vbwiki-pro/features.html

I haven't tried either, just saw them on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just because im so good i can delete spam when drunk doesnt mean i expect a promotion ^_^ ive no delusions of grandeur, ive not been here long enough...

even though i do kick ass :p

it's not a promotion, it's a reassignment :)

We can't integrate the wiki with vbulletin very easily right now (wiki db and boards db are on different servers with very necessary restrictions in place).

What I can do is add sysops, so nerin and IRLConor, (maybe Verb?) you guys up for the job?

• Advertisement

We can't integrate the wiki with vbulletin very easily right now (wiki db and boards db are on different servers with very necessary restrictions in place).

What I can do is add sysops, so nerin and IRLConor, (maybe Verb?) you guys up for the job?

I'm currently between jobs, that's why I have a bunch of time to spare.

If ye're OK with my effort reducing once I get a job then yeah, go for it. Modding Shooting will come first though.

IRLConor wrote: »
    I'm currently between jobs, that's why I have a bunch of time to spare.

If ye're OK with my effort reducing once I get a job then yeah, go for it. Modding Shooting will come first though.
    Sure, that's grand, thanks.

I've modified your permissions now, you should be s sysop.

Sure, that's grand, thanks.

I've modified your permissions now, you should be s sysop.

Cool. Thanks (I guess ;)).

How does one block users? Docs for other MediaWiki installations tell me that it's at Special:Blockip but that page tells me "The action you have requested is limited to users in the group Sysops.".

Yeah, I don't mind helping out as well.

Just click on the URL for the rogue user and then there should be a list of options on the left. 'Block user' should be one of them.

Just click on the URL for the rogue user and then there should be a list of options on the left. 'Block user' should be one of them.

Yep, that's what I thought. "Block user" isn't there.

How 'bout now? (Verb also added)

Haven't played around with mediawiki's archaic permission system before so not sure if it even works after the repairs I had to do.

How 'bout now? (Verb also added)

Nope, still no joy.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Nope, still no joy.
    Third time's the charm! (now?)

• Advertisement

I was able to revert a page and block a spambot. Do we do blocking by IP as well ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement