Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your worst private car selling experience..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Yep, seemingly. One thing I forgot to mention was that this 'lady' told me that if I wasn't happy with the car I could get my money back from the escrow service. That's how they're meant to work. If I was happy with the car then I would need to contact this escrow service and instruct them to release the money to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I read last week where a 22 year old girl bought a car off ebay uk. She got a loan of £4000 from her parents to pay for it. It was a 02 VW beetle a bargain for 4k.

They should at least of sent her the photo for momento:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All of these scams seem to use Western Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

BostonB wrote: »
    I was asking you to explain this comment....

But I now realise you're not aware of what you wrote, or what it implies, so forget it.
    You didn't ask me to explain anything. What you did was rave on about something I didn't say. Let me explain it in plain english for you. The reason I said I buy my cars from a garage was to let everyone know that I never bought a car private not that I have a preference of buying cars from garages, then I told a story that I saw on an english paper about this girl. Do you think that this will register with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kbannon wrote: »
    I had the exact same when trying to sell my E30 320i which also had an ///M badge (and bodykit, etc.). The guy was nearly shouting at me that I had actually got an M3.

I was tempted to just say it was an M3, and let him think he got a great deal (although the exhaust note may not have been what he was hoping for). I didn't even have a badge on the back - just the tiny ones on the alloys.
    kbannon wrote: »
    Another fella rang one afternoon from Kerry after seeing the ad in the buy & sell. Himself and two others drove up to Leixlip to see the car. The first thing they said to me was "I thought you said it was a two door". I replied that I ever mentioned the number of doors when he phoned but if he looks again at the buy and sell, it says four doors. They mde a crappy offer and then back to the Kingdom they went!

That reminds me actually - I watched a few people viewing my of my Alfa 156 who were trying to climb into the backseat through the front, not realising that it was a 4 door with recessed rear handles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Was helping a mate shift a nissan 240 sx ( s14 )

full engine rebuild with up-rated cams , rodd etc , the hole nine yards.

everything you can think of he had done , which nearly bank roupted thet chap

he was asking 20k and wanted me ot be there to prove , it is exactly was it says in the tin asuch.

we had 1 buyer contact us and he came down , had a look , took it for a drive then said " you want 20k ?? but its only got 452 hp , i could get that from a starlet ! "

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i have been incredibly luck it seems, ive sold 4 cars privately over the past 2.5 years,

in the case of 3 the first person to come look took them immediately, in the case of 1, some second hand car dealer accompanied the guy who was interested and tried to convince me the car had been in a serious crash (it hadnt) and was worth (trade value) 5k less than i was selling for. A couple came to view it 2 hours later and bought it straight away.

Longest ive had to advertise has been 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Ferris

pontovic wrote: »
    if a deal seems to good to be true, then it generally is.

+1

Never a truer word.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Three Weeks!!
    I've had my car up for over six weeks at a very reasonable price and havnt got one phone call!
    Damn economy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

philidub wrote: »
    Three Weeks!!
    I've had my car up for over six weeks at a very reasonable price and havnt got one phone call!
    Damn economy!
    What you selling??

I'll give you a fiver for it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Funny that, got offered a fiver today by a smart arse walking by while i was talking new pics of it.......which i havnt updated yet.....http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4-ZETEC(Warranty/965879/
    Disregard the warranty part..found out today i cant extend it, ive changed it but carzone hasnt updated it yet

Advertisement