Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy plain (distilled?) vinegar?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AmberWaives

Cheers, Casper.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Hi,

I came across this thread when i was looking for info on where to buy white vinegar in bulk.

For those in Dublin, I tracked down 5 litre bottles for €5 in the Asia Market on Drury St. It's in a section at the back where they keep all sorts of products in bulk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

so much fuss about crap vinegar, madness.

I bet you are all looking for it to use as a cleaning product too?

And you can buy the stuff in most catering suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brion

Sorry to bump this but I'm looking for distilled white vinegar (not malt!) and can't find it (tried Tesco and Dunnes but no joy). Anyone know where I can find some?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Brion wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this but I'm looking for distilled white vinegar (not malt!) and can't find it (tried Tesco and Dunnes but no joy). Anyone know where I can find some?

You can find it in any shop selling Eastern European food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Casper, I'm a Yank and I, too, found plain white vinegar difficult to source. Finally I figured out that I am looking for what is called, over here, "spirit vinegar". Dilute acetic acid could be produced anyhow, but the white vinegar you and I are used to is distilled from vegetable or fruit mash.

Believe it or not, I found it in an ethnic grocery. In Sligo it happens to be Lituanica, and I'm pretty sure you have one or more in Dublin, but I bet any shop that has Polish/Eastern European/Russian groceries will have it. You're looking for something labeled ACTO, Ocet, or Actas depending on which country it comes from. Cheap too :)

I found a five-litre jug of it at a store that caters mostly to small foodservice establishments, but it contains a little salt. That's perfectly fine when I'm cooking (usually) or descaling my kettle, but it just goes to show you must read the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You can find it in any shop selling Eastern European food.

Ocet' is what he is looking for. It's 10% and should be watered down 5 to 1 for standard pickling.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brion

I'm actually looking to use it in my washing machine. So is Ocet still good to use as is?

I'm actually looking to use it in my washing machine. So is Ocet still good to use as is?

It should be fine. I checked a bottle that I had in my kitchen and it's just plain vinegar like I would use to clean things with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

EuroGiant/€2 shops and Dealz sometimes have it it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Tesco have it listed on their website http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255602393

446%5C5391509390446%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Chef Vinegar Distilled 284ML €1.19

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Tesco have it listed on their website http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255602393

446%5C5391509390446%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Chef Vinegar Distilled 284ML €1.19

That is malt vinegar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Speedwell wrote: »
    That is malt vinegar.
    Surely any distilled vinegar is good enough, regardless of whether it's derived from malt or wine or whatever?

Tree wrote: »
    Surely any distilled vinegar is good enough, regardless of whether it's derived from malt or wine or whatever?

Nope. Malt vinegar has a certain penetrating odor that spirit vinegar lacks. I mean, they both smell like vinegar, but malt vinegar is... Different. Stronger. More complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I always thought the brown vinegar was Malt vinegar.

Brown vinegar is either malt or cider vinegar, normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Brown vinegar is malt vinegar, the above is distilled malt vinegar. ie brown vinegar distilled into white, it retains a very mild malt flavour.
    The white vinegar others are looking for would be plain white vinegar produced from (unmalted) grain or corn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cooperdunlea

I basically have the same issue. I can find both clear and brown Malt vinegars in all shopd (Dunnes, Tesco, SuperValu, etc), but I can't find any just White vinegar for putting in the washing machine, etc.
    So...what I want to know is the clear Malt vinegar the same as Distilled White vinegar??
    If not, where can I buy the white vinegar here in Ireland?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've never had any problem in finding distilled white vinegar in Irish supermarkets. Chef would be a common brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did you try Asian supermarkets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

casper- wrote:
    But does anyone know where I can get plain, unflavoured vinegar? Basically this stuff:

Often see it in supermarkets and in wholesalers like Musgraves.

I've never had any problem in finding distilled white vinegar in Irish supermarkets. Chef would be a common brand.

The white vinegar labeled with Chef in my local supermarket is not plain (spirit) vinegar. I made that mistake once. Once. Hill Billy, a number of people pointed out the difference to you starting on the first page of the thread.

The white vinegar labeled with Chef in my local supermarket is not plain (spirit) vinegar. I made that mistake once. Once. Hill Billy, a number of people pointed out the difference to you starting on the first page of the thread.

He said White distilled vinegar, not spirit vinegar. The vinegar everyone keeps referring to is distilled vinegar - as opposed to brown malt vinegar.

I think I that where all the confusion comes from. The OP was asking for distilled vinegar and not spirit vinegar.

I know what Heinz distilled vinegar is. I used it, and its grocery store equivalents in the US and Canada, for 45 years. It is much closer to spirit vinegar than distilled malt vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

8 years ago! My memory ain't what it used to be. Give a guy a break. :D

Regardless, we still use it for tackling limescale & the like. Works a treat.

I know what Heinz distilled vinegar is. I used it, and its grocery store equivalents in the US and Canada, for 45 years. It is much closer to spirit vinegar than distilled malt vinegar.
    im sure that's the case, I haven't suggested outherwise
    But the op didnt mention that it was spirit vinegar. Or that it was different. Without the difference being mentioned surely you can see how people would assume it's the same as Heinz/chef distilled white vinegar here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a 5 litre container of White Hat distilled vinegar that I use for cleaning, although there's a picture of a vinegar shaker on the front so it must be suitable for human consumption too.

I got it in JC's Supermarket in Swords, Nth. County Dublin some time last year but I think they still sell it. I think it only cost around €4. The label lists the ingredients as water and spirit vinegar, and that it's packed for Stonehouse Marketing in Dublin. They might be able to help anyone looking for stockists. http://www.stonehouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cooperdunlea

Thanks to all for replying. I have found white 'malt' vinegar in all the supermarkets, but not just white vinegar. If you use the white 'malt' vinegar in the wash, you can smell it on clothes. I've tried all the major supermarkets in Cork (not sure if there's any Asian, but I'll check) so far with no luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried the Polish shops?

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for replying. I have found white 'malt' vinegar in all the supermarkets, but not just white vinegar. If you use the white 'malt' vinegar in the wash, you can smell it on clothes. I've tried all the major supermarkets in Cork (not sure if there's any Asian, but I'll check) so far with no luck.

I buy a small bottle of 15% acetic acid in the asian shop.
    Essentially triple strength, white vinegar. It would be diluted to a normal strength, or probably used as-is, seing at it gets diluted anyway.

Advertisement