Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing holiday deal: 7 Nights full board in the Maldives for £599!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Someone bought the last 3 tubs of Ultrathon last night before me and now seller is out of stock and no one else is selling it on Ebay.

dos30 will you be needing all 3 tubs? If not any chance I could buy 1 tub off you because I can't find anywhere I can buy it and be delivered on time.

Vibe666 maybe I can scab a few squirts off you too? :P

I've no idea how long they last Pimpho, the tubes are only 59ml and need enough for myself and the woman for 2 weeks.

If after a few days I think I'll have enough I'll give you a tube no problem, but you probably bring other stuff in case we end up flying through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm normally okay, I got ours primarily for the mossie magnet missus and hadn't planned on using it for myself unless I started getting bitten, so I'm sure we could spare a squirt if you're stuck.

There's other guys on ebay selling similar 'military grade' repellent in the UK, you just have to search for 'mosquito' and ignore anything about little mini R/C helicopters (i have one of those too tho, they're pretty cool!).

you might as well just got for it and see what you can get and how quickly you can get it. If all else fails you can get decent enough stuff at the airport anyway so you won't be totally stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Right I'll have another search and see how I get on. Probably just end up buying it in the airport.

Who's flying to Gatwick by Ryanair?

me. should get into gatwick early enough to leg it over to the check-in desk and reserve some extra legroom (hopefully).

i wonder if it's possible to book that before you get there or if it's just whoever gets thre in gatwick first?

From Shannon (SNN) to London (Gatwick) (LGW)
    Sun, 29Jun08 Flight FR1182 Depart SNN at 13:05 and arrive LGW at 14:30

Think I'll beat you to it vibe??
    I'm going to be hammered before we leave.

• Advertisement

can't remember what the ryanair flight times are from dublin, but i think it's around 1-2pm anyway, so we're all going to bit in gatwick for a while. :)

just ordered an ultrasonic mossie repellent digital watch for herself as a belt & braces kind of measure. maybe it'll work, maybe it won't but it can't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dj Fitzy

im back from the maldives since monday you dont need jads,:),,,,,,

nice one fitzy thanks.

did you go to the same island or was it somewhere else?

ya same island...just one thing everyone... be very very careful of the sun....its very powerful and i seen alot of people getting badly burnt even me.......

vibe666 wrote: »
    me. should get into gatwick early enough to leg it over to the check-in desk and reserve some extra legroom (hopefully).

i wonder if it's possible to book that before you get there or if it's just whoever gets thre in gatwick first?

What do you mean reserve some extra legroom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Lads would be very interested in this to fly out on the 29th for 14nights. If anyone is flying out on this date what flight (from dublin to gatwick) are you getting and what is it costing you, what are the best flights to get to make sure you make the connection in time but not waiting around for ages in Gatwick. I

t looks like an ideal holiday for herself, relaxing etc but I fear I might be bored out of my mind after a day! Although I could always pack the fishing rods. And if there was a load of irish couples going it could be great craic.....any1 play the guitar.??

you wont get extra leg room unless your very lucky..think it cost 150 sterling to upgrade to extra leg room...

there is nothing to do on this island but relax guys... if you ask me its the love island...everyone goes to bed early not alot of craic i was happy to be leaving after the week...but its is what you make of it....do the fishing its only $20 but they do that only one evening:mad:

Ah ive only little legs so has herself so im sure we could grin and bear it,especially at that price. If you compare it to this agent, its like half the price for 14nights and that one is only 7. Is anyone here going for the two weeks?

Did you go with herself dj or on your own? Are is there any shopping to be had over there or is it simply like a tiny island with just the resort on it. The 29th is sold out for 7nights so 14 is the only option really as to go on the 6th for 7nights costs nearly just as much

Ya I'm going for the two weeks, it's very far to be flying for just one.

How long are you going for PIMPHO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Still debating on heading away to the Maldives on this offer... Or off to one of the Carribbean Islands...

Wont be able to book untill the Footy finishes but i'll be looking out at the reviews from all you's lucky ppl heading at the end of the month!!

I want to go NOW!!! :D

Have Fun!!!

dos30 wrote: »
    Ya I'm going for the two weeks, it's very far to be flying for just one.

How long are you going for PIMPHO?

Just for the week mate. Will be more than enough for us anyways.

My bird just sent me a photo of her ankle and its horrible looking! She got bit over the weekend when she was barbecuing and it's swollen right up that you can't make out her ankle! If she reacts so badly to harmless midges here, she's going to be in some pain with the mosquito bites in Maldives. I told her to buy the strongest repellent she can find this weekend so hopefull she'll find something that will work! Otherwise she won't enjoy the holiday one bit! :(

went with a mate.....no theres no shops its just a place for relaxing reading books and what ever else you can think of....

• Advertisement

just one week for us too, from the 29th.

our plans are relaxing, eating, drinking, swimming, scuba, snorkelling, lilo'ing (have lilo's aready), reading and tv, music & movies via the laptop and maybe one or two of the excursions and that kind of thing, but in general, nothing much at all really that's any effort. that's the whole point of going in the first place. :p

how do you like the new countdown sig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been a couple of times to the maldives and love it. Not to this island though. Its a very specific type of holiday, not much nightlife or much sight seeing, though some Islands have a big bar and some night life. Its all about chilling out, and getting active in the sea. Even if you don't dive the snorkelling is fantastic.

The charter flights, especially if you are flying with Monarch are horrendous. Our were 7 hours and then a 1 hr stop and then another 5 hours. On the charters theres usually no legroom and its cramed and its a bit like a Ryanair flight. You pay for everything on the flight.

Last time we went we flew with Emirates on scheduled flights and that was fantastic. Took 24hrs and it was a lot more expensive though. We flet it was worth it though.

how on earth did an eleven and a half hour flight take 24 hours? you can get to Australia in less time than that.

I wouldn't be a big fan of that, not when I could be spending that extra twelve and a half hours on the beach stretching my cramped up legs and getting a tan. ;)

I'm a big lad (tall and wide) at 6'5" and the g/f is 6 feet herself, so I don't know how well we'll cope.

might just have to see about getting emergency seats when we get there and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Aldi has the following Snorkeling set for €15.99, starting Thursday, 26th. I did read somewhere that you are better off bringing your own set to Maldives than renting there...

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6230.htm

I am planning honeymoon in Maldives end of August (outside this deal) - all sorts of tips welcome! :)

Lads how much USD are ye bringing with ye since everything is charged to your credit card? Going to buy some tomorrow and was thinking about €200 should do for the week?

I got €300 changed over for the two weeks, it should be plenty.
    All we need cash for is excursions and tipping.

positron wrote: »
    Aldi has the following Snorkeling set for €15.99, starting Thursday, 26th. I did read somewhere that you are better off bringing your own set to Maldives than renting there...
    as someone with a little experience (learned from a lot of pro's) in the area of face masks and dive gear in general, the rule of thumb with buying masks is, if you can't try before you buy, then don't buy it at all.

and you WILL get what you pay for, so it might well be worth visiting a decent sports shop if you have the chance just so you can try on something a little bit over the budget level masks to see the difference.

everyone's face is different and not all masks will fit everyone.

you don't need to get it wet to find out for sure, you just need to make sure you have a decent seal and that it's not going to fill up with water the minute you put your face in the water.

the acid test is just to place it on your face and (looking straight ahead of you) breath in very slightly through your nose but not too much, you're not trying to suck out your eyeballs! you should feel the mask grip your face.

breathe in and out only through your mouth for a minute or so and see if the mask stays in place to make sure it's not got any air leaking out through any gaps in the sides.

If it's a good fit it should stay where it is without you taking any more inward breaths through your nose and if it's all good there then touch wood it should be fine in the water. breath out through your nose and the mask should then drop right off (don't forget to catch it). check in a mirror to make sure there's no red mark around where the mask was stuck to your face.

a poorly fitting mask will either leave a mark on your face, or require multiple breaths in to hold it in place (or both). imagine doing this underwater, not fun.

ideally, if air isn't getting out then water isn't going to get in. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

vibe666 wrote: »
    how on earth did an eleven and a half hour flight take 24 hours? you can get to Australia in less time than that.

I wouldn't be a big fan of that, not when I could be spending that extra twelve and a half hours on the beach stretching my cramped up legs and getting a tan. ;)

I'm a big lad (tall and wide) at 6'5" and the g/f is 6 feet herself, so I don't know how well we'll cope.

might just have to see about getting emergency seats when we get there and see what happens.

Well 24hrs roughly, maybe it was 20 I can't remember, flew through Manchester, then changed in Dubai did some shopping, all the waiting in between. We had 2 weeks so weren't in a rush like you would be for 7 days.

4 more sleeps (+1 on the plane) to go, can't wait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

We just came back on monday after 2 weeks. We feckin loved it - didn't want to come home!!

Completely agree with interlinked's review. I'll just add a little since there were a couple of differences in the first and second week:

The weather was a bit more overcast the first week. The second week was practically cloudless except for one day (but the break in the sun is welcome it's so hot!).

As inter mentioned, and Fitz says, it's a bit of a love island. That said, the second week was a good bit livelier than the first; a new bunch of people came and the bar was a lot fuller, one of the lads organised a match with staff, they showed some of the euro matches, etc. People are very friendly there. It is supposed to be a quiet, relaxing holiday though and that's largely what it is.

I'd also just underline what he says about the sun and mozzies. The sun'll set ye on feckin fire in minutes. There's normally a nice little breeze so you won't notice. Slap the factor on everywhere because the sun'll be very quick to point out where you missed.

Also, the mozzies are little fukers - we got a bottle of this 50% deet spray from boots which lasted the two of us 2 weeks and we only got bitten when/where we didnt spray.

Don't worry about being bored - it'll go all too quickly. They have a little library in the reception where you can pick up a book or drop in any you've read too.

Have a good one vibe and whoever else is off - yis'll have a ball!

Advertisement