Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Princess Bride

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh here lads had to bump this.

i was looking at VUEs "coming soon" section and ive just seen this is getting a re release for its 25th anniversery !

:D:D:D:D

i got a great blast out of stuff like back to the future 1 and jurassic park getting that treatment but im REALLY psyched about this one. its just so much damn fun.

according to their website its getting the rerelease on the 8th march but the only time they have up so far is the 12th.

i presume other theatres will do likewise so we can all get a look in somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is this movie getting release in Ireland for 30th Anniversary in the next couple of weeks? Or has it been out already?

I saw it listed for December on my local cinema's website but it has disappeared. At least I'm sure it was the local one.

I just phoned them and they don't have it on their system and the guy had more collection of it being shown recently.

I've tried Google and get results for a "princess bride re-release in Ireland" but the links lead nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Is this movie getting release in Ireland for 30th Anniversary in the next couple of weeks? Or has it been out already?

Came out the week before last for one night only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

smurf492 wrote: »
    Came out the week before last for one night only

Thanks for the quick reply.

I knew it would be for a limited time but the listing I read had it down for the 3rd of December and they don't seem to have showed it at all.

Anyway, cheers for putting that issue to rest. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

On the subject of childhood faves, "Little Monsters" was right up there for me...It starred that kid from The Wonder Years who gets up to all kinds of malicious shenanigans with a monster who comes from under his bed, which acts as a doorway into the "monster world" where all kinds of crazy creatures reside..Got it on dvd on ebay a while back, couldn't believe how many double entendre jokes are in there that completely went over my head as a kid lol:D....anyone else remember this one??????? Marv from Home Alone was also in it but its kinda hard to find over here and its never shown on tv..

I completely forgot about that film. I loved it as a kid. I'll have to watch it again now that I've been reminded.

Im not sure if it's this film but I think there's something called "slimy soul suckers" in it and I'm not sure if this is what it meant in the film but I use to refer to that as kissing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I only saw this a few weeks ago for the first time in a Picture House. I was quite impressed. Very fun film with a lot of heart.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The new Stella Theatre in Rathmines, Dublin, have a screening this Sunday, 12th November – https://stellatheatre.ie/event/the-princess-bride/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goodshape wrote: »
    The new Stella Theatre in Rathmines, Dublin, have a screening this Sunday, 12th November – https://stellatheatre.ie/event/the-princess-bride/

Which I went to! Princess Bride really holds up so well, and as cliché as it is to say, they really don't make films like that anymore - and isn't it a shame? Beautifully charismatic, sweet & eminently quotable. Still though, 30 years old; ooph! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    Which I went to! Princess Bride really holds up so well, and as cliché as it is to say, they really don't make films like that anymore - and isn't it a shame? Beautifully charismatic, sweet & eminently quotable. Still though, 30 years old; ooph! :(

Yeah, I was there too :D. Film holds up well indeed, and the Stella suited it perfectly. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

No. Just NO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Cult comedy"?

Man, what is with everyone reporting this film wrong; first attributing it to "Norman Lear", now mislabelling as a comedy.

Or is it? 🤔
    It's definitely comedic in nature, and genuinely funny in places, but honestly I never really saw it myself as an out-and-out comedy. But that's just me.

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about a remake: I'm sure every movie older than 20 years has been chatted about as remake fodder in the bowels of Hollywood; though I see William Goldman passed away last year, so perhaps the IP vultures are circling ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

OU812 wrote: »
    No. Just NO

Stupid, I don't know why they think they have to remake everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Cary Elwes has written a great book on the filming of the princess bride. It is well worth a read. He is actually a great writer and it provides many funny anecdotes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My honest reaction when reading about this earlier today.

This thread has been to Miracle Max more than once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

I’m going to predict the cast.

Donald Glover
    The Rock
    Danny DeVito
    Zendaya
    Benicio del toro
    One of the kids from stranger things
    Kirsten wig
    Ben stiller
    Fassbender

I think that Fassbender would ham it to the nines as The Six Fingered Man

But

Noooo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There's more chance of Bill Murray and Rick Moranis joining the cast for the upcoming Ghostbusters movie than there is the Princess Bride being remade.

Unless Sony have an option to remake or reboot the original IP, then I image that they won't get permission from Goldman who wrote the novel and did the screen adaptation. (Even if they did have the option originally, I'd say the option might have expired given how old the film is)

Goldman is very particular about what happens with the story which is why there has never been a stage adaptation. There was 2 attempts to make a stage musical, the first never got anywhere as Goldman wanted a higher cut of the fee even though he would have been 1 of 2 writers on it.

The second attempt involved Disney and Rob Reinery. It never got anywhere despite Reiner's efforts.

Also some of the original cast, and other celebs have been quite vocal about their opposition to a remake.

Then again, you never know.

faceman wrote: »
    Unless Sony have an option to remake or reboot the original IP, then I image that they won't get permission from Goldman who wrote the novel and did the screen adaptation. (Even if they did have the option originally, I'd say the option might have expired given how old the film is)

Goldman is very particular about what happens with the story which is why there has never been a stage adaptation. There was 2 attempts to make a stage musical, the first never got anywhere as Goldman wanted a higher cut of the fee even though he would have been 1 of 2 writers on it.

Swap "is" for "was"; Goldman died last year regrettably, so that this subject is even in the air, smacks of an IP suddenly legally unshackled from the one dissenting voice enabling the reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure we already had the remake

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fscottmendelson%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2FDoNAEwKX0AAZI5R.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

pixelburp wrote: »
    Swap "is" for "was"; Goldman died last year regrettably, so that this subject is even in the air, smacks of an IP suddenly legally unshackled from the one dissenting voice enabling the reboot.

Ah I didn’t know that! That could change things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Ah I don't really see the big deal. They want to remake a movie, so what? Just watch the original, it's good, enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I haven't seen the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

branie2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film

Inconceivable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

branie2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film

Lucky bastard. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A film for all the family, still holds up, no need for a remake

Imagine how good (and by good becomes bad) the ROUS's would be. Devoid of all charm

• Advertisement

Imagine how good (and by good becomes bad) the ROUS's would be. Devoid of all charm

Ehhhh now. I LOVE the Princess Bride - like, bordering on mania only slightly dulled by age - but I never thought the ROUSes were ever that great. A fantastic punchline to Wesley's dismissive "I don't even think they exist", but the actual FX was a bit crap. Some of it framed fine, but in others painfully obvious it was a bloke on all fours.

Advertisement