Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Measuring wind speed on my site?

• 21-04-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Would like to erect a wind turbine in the future when you are allowed to feed it back to the grid.
    In the mean time I would like to measure the wind speed on my site to get a good idea of how much electricity I would be able to generate.

Any ideas of what is the best way of doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi,

aprsworld.com sell dedicated wind measuring equipment. See my website article
    http://www.irishsilicon.com/archives/2006/05/affordable_wind.html

You could also install a weather station with a pc link such as the wh1080 weather station which holds 2 -3 days worth of data and you download onto your pc.

Companies such as glas.ie will install an anemomter to measure windspeed for you, they recommend min of 6 months.

My colleagues who teach renewable energy recommend measuring the wind for 1 year. So as to work out the avg windspeed on a daily and weekly basis and use freeware software to calculate the energy you would generate using a turbine.

I have just bought a weather station and will place it on a 5 meter pole to measure wind speed. The turbine will need to be a min of 6 meters taller than any other building and at least 50 meters away from other buildings.

Regards

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

As a first step you could look at the wind map on the sei website to see if its worth proceeding with putting up an annometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Once the problem with the ESB gets sorted out and its possible to feed into the grid, won't Wind (good site permitting) be the most economical option ie. better than solar, geothermal, etc??

how noisy are they - say for example, Provens 6kw unit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im not worried a bout the noise , but more about the cost! :eek:

Ive seen some prices for proper turbines.. not the B&Q muck...

Scary. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Dont forget the maintainence lads!

Constant moving parts, most units will need a service contract put in place. That cost also needs to be factored in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement