Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

sleepyman wrote: »
    Are they still striking? I take it the end of the month would be the likely finish date if they were working/had been paid?

I was at the section @ Borris the other day and it look complete.
    I'll try and grab some pics later and post if I'm passing.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I was at the section @ Borris the other day and it look complete.
    I'll try and grab some pics later and post if I'm passing.:pac:

Cheers for that.I'm guessing the 15th November (people on here seemed to be mentioning it) as an opening date is unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

As they tend to open new motorways on Fridays I expect that the 15th is out to. Maybe the 19th or 26th? I suspect that along with the protests the reason its not opening this week has more to do with the M18 Gort bypass being opened. If they seperate the two opening ceremonys, there is the extra day of publicity AND expenses for TDs!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

also, it seems more recent road openings were given an official 2 week or so notice period (Gort M18, Birdhill M7, Castleisland N21 etc) so I expect no opening until at least after Nov 22nd. (assuming, touch wood, the protest issue gets sorted)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I passed it yesterday, the Moneygall LILO are not lined or studded yet from what I could see passing by on the current N7. But they have erected lots of new fencing and landscaping around the Moneygall junction, so they've been busy.

The tie-in with the north carriageway at the Nenagh bypass seems to be progressing quickly and almost complete, the traffic no longer skirts the hard shoulder but instead goes up the inside lane and then up the sliproad.

Going south bound onto the Nenagh bypass isn't so smooth, but it was dark so unable to judge the extent of the works.

No news on an opening date yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

So they must be back working and had been paid then?Yes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

Can we presume that the 15th open date won’t be happening? From what people have being saying the road seems very close, can we come to the conclusion it will be open before the end of the month.

Noticed this morning that Google Maps has updated all the roads in Ireland, every road that is due open by years end is now shown. Including the Nenagh to Castletown section.

Although some roads that are motorway are shown as green national routes. Lets hope they fix that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mcgeebers

I'm travelling to Killarney Friday evening. I've only ever gone the N7 in the past. Is this still recommended, even with the incomplete Castletown - Nenagh section, or is the M8 a better option existing at Mitchelstown and heading the N72 via Mallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

mcgeebers wrote: »
    I'm travelling to Killarney Friday evening. I've only ever gone the N7 in the past. Is this still recommended, even with the incomplete Castletown - Nenagh section, or is the M8 a better option existing at Mitchelstown and heading the N72 via Mallow?

I would still be inclined to use the M/N7 - with the new sections, esp the Birdhill part, it's a very good road. And, don't forget Castleisland is now bypassed too, so no delay there.
    If you've never travelled from Mitchelstown to Mallow, and especially from Mallow to Killarney I certainly wouldn't try it for the first time in the dark, wind and rain of a November night. The section from Rathmore is especially twisting and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

lottpaul wrote: »
    I would still be inclined to use the M/N7 - with the new sections, esp the Birdhill part, it's a very good road. And, don't forget Castleisland is now bypassed too, so no delay there.
    If you've never travelled from Mitchelstown to Mallow, and especially from Mallow to Killarney I certainly wouldn't try it for the first time in the dark, wind and rain of a November night. The section from Rathmore is especially twisting and dangerous.

+ 1 for this, that road from Mallow is very windy indeed in parts. once you hit before nenagh its motorway all the way until before Adare so you really could make the journey down in 4.5 hours or less. I travel this route regularly from Enfield and we can make the journey down in less than 3.5 hours. Cannot wait until the rest of the road is open!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

lukejr wrote: »
    Noticed this morning that Google Maps has updated all the roads in Ireland, every road that is due open by years end is now shown. Including the Nenagh to Castletown section.

Did you try to get the Street View on those sections??? They are mysteriously :p unavailable!!!
    :D

The M18 is opening tomorrow, so the M7 will be the last piece of motorway under construction in the state.

Until the M18/M17 begins in early 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I passed the over bridge on the Roscrea - Knock road just a while ago,the road isn't even lined on the Limerick bound side.To my untrained eye(in the few secs. I was passing) there seemed to be lots of unfinished bits around there

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 21 villacud

I passed the over bridge on the Roscrea - Knock road just a while ago,the road isn't even lined on the Limerick bound side.To my untrained eye(in the few secs. I was passing) there seemed to be lots of unfinished bits around there

Same at Nenagh - Passed it this morning, southbound lane still to be lined

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redtom33

M7 from Nenagh to Adare is by far the best way to go. Not only is it a better road but is also a quicker journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Did you try to get the Street View on those sections??? They are mysteriously :p unavailable!!!
    :D

The Castleisland bypass in a "very WIP" state can be seen from at least one road crossing it.

Streem View stuff seems to be from early 2009. I saw my old car there, standing at a house I left in May 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Assuming you're starting in Dublin or north of Portlaoise, I'd go by the M8/N25/N22 via Cork. It's Grade seperate Dual carriageway or Motorway, from Dublin to Ovens west of Balincollig, and decent single carriageway Baile Bhuirne and about 2km of crap surface through Baile Bhuirne and then good WS2 with climbing lanes to Killarney. Took me 3 hours from Kllarney to RedCow before Abbeyleix was bypassed one Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Opening date pushed back to early December according to a workman I met today. Either the 1st or the 6th. I have some photos but my connection is too slow to upload them at the moment.

Pics!

Junction 22 (N62):
    DSCF3626.jpg

Junction 21 looking to Limerick:
    DSCF3599.jpg

Junction 21 westbound on-ramp:
    DSCF3601.jpg

Junction 21 looking towards Portlaoise:
    DSCF3602.jpg

Confirmation sign:
    DSCF3603.jpg

DSCF3604.jpg

DSCF3606.jpg

Close to Knock, looking to Portlaoise:
    DSCF3607.jpg

Same position, looking to Limerick:
    DSCF3608.jpg

Large overbridge on the Knock to Roscrea road. This is the final large structure on the scheme to open:
    DSCF3610.jpg

Looking towards that same overbridge from the mainline. This is about 2.5 kilometres north of junction 22. Note the layby on the left of the photo:
    DSCF3611.jpg

A closer look at the layby:
    DSCF3613.jpg

Junction 22 looking to Dublin:
    DSCF3615.jpg

And looking to Limerick:
    DSCF3616.jpg

DSCF3619.jpg

That's it 'til she opens.

• Advertisement

One more:

DSCF3620.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Those LILO junctions are mad - they will be a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A bit crazy. They need a barrier up the middle of them to make sure people go the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet wrote: »
    One more:

DSCF3620.jpg

Great photos once again Furet! :)

However, that LILO looks pretty lethal for a 120kph motorway. They're not like the new LILOs on the M18 Gort to Crusheen (guess the M18 G to C has newer specs though). On the new M18, the Curves onto the compact slips appear to be much larger and safer (large grass triangles), where the M7 Borris to Nenagh LILOs look like slips you'd expect to find on an urban street. Mind you, as far as I could make out from the original plans for the M7 B to N, there weren't even going to put in proper acceleration/deceleration lanes - as least these are now included, but it's still IMO lethal! Apart from that, the road appears to be superb in terms of surfacing, alignment and appearance. They'll eventually have to change the LILOs, or impose a 100kph mainline speed limit on approach.

Regards!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great pics Furet.:) The opening of this stretch of road will represent the effective completion of the MIU motorways.

But as I suspected, junction 22 is a total death trap.:( This is not an acceptable standard on a motorway.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

One more:

DSCF3620.jpg
    Terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

One more:

DSCF3620.jpg

that is a (bad) accident waiting to happen:
    "ah jaysus, I'm goin' to Dublin, not Limerick, better turn right..."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think someone needs to write into the NRA pointing out that junctions 22 and 23 are highly dangerous.

There will be serious accidents here unless something is done to improve them, mark my words.:(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

A bit crazy. They need a barrier up the middle of them to make sure people go the right way.

I presume that bollards will be erected to prevent traffic from crossing over onto the wrong side of the road. This is done on similar type LILO junctions on the M18 Ennis bypass. There is still a few weeks to completion so work on this might not be carried out until a few days before opening.

J15 on the M18 is a better design than those two junctions on the M7. The on and off ramps are more gradual towards the mainline and not a short 90 degree turn onto the motorway. At least the megre/diverge lanes are not short!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think someone needs to write into the NRA pointing out that junctions 22 and 23 are highly dangerous.

There will be serious accidents here unless something is done to improve them, mark my words.:(:mad:

I doubt there will be, but why don't you write to the NRA and articulate your fears about the junction so its not "someone else's" job.

Just a thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement