Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody name my phobia? WARNING: Contains links to photos that may cause distress

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 triangle4

wow!i have the exact same feeling when i go near bouys,i just freeze up and swim for dear life!its good to know im not the only person eith this phobia!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mockwerks

I'm glad I'm not alone. Sunken objects are the only thing that give me a physical fear reaction. Just reading some of the things on this thread have made me shudder.

The first movie I saw when I was a kid/baby was Jaws. I don't know if that did it or not, but I can remember specifically not liking Titanic stories and drawn pictures. On the other hand, I remember watching The Incredible Mister Limpet and not having an issue. 80's Roger Moore Bond movies had quite a few diving scenes with wrecks too.

Anyhow. My list of things would include just about any boat (metal being worse BY FAR than wooden), planes, chains, anchors. Metal is far, far worse than any wooden or stone-like objects, though the stupid underwater statues are bad. Man-made reefs are HORRIFYING.

Thanks for the sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MindWorker

Many people suffer phobias and sometime they come from something from the past which is long forgotten. As an example, as a psychotherapist, I one time worked with someone who had a fear of escalators. This particular patient indicated that I could share the story but not her identiy, so I will share the story. Essentially, the end result was that, while utilising hypnotherapy, she went back to her childhood and recalled her mother always squeezing her hand tightly as they would get on an escalator. That caused the child to feel a sense of danger, which became a conditioned response. Looking back at it with the eyes of an adult, she was able to let go of that fear.

It's real nice to see that one can share experiences. It is interesting how many people recalled childhood memories within this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ilfuentes

Bless you all, I always thought I was alone in this!

Mine has two parts to it, things that are connected to the floor of whatever body of water, or are bound for it (sinking).

Like, have you ever been swimming in open water, dropped something, and sort of watched helplessly as it sank out of sight? *shudders* Like, even watching that scene in Finding Nemo where Dory drops the mask and it sinks away always scares the bejesus out of me.

Also, anything that sort of looms up from the bottom like anchor lines, buoy chains, drowned trees, whatever. Not necessarily man-made, but out of place? Rocks are fine, so are animals of any kind, or anything that floats on top of the water.

It's just weird knowing that these are objects, inanimate, unmoving. They can't hurt you, even if you did get close to them, but they're somehow still terrifying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

This thread is waaaay more freaky than the "creepy or unnerving" thread. I'll be having nightmares tonight about gross, immense, cargo ships with black and red paint. I always dream about being in the water in the path of one, and the hull bearing down on me slowly, or being in the belly of an empty one, with the top open and next thing the water gushes over the sides.

For those of you brave enough, Google the Evodxia. Thats the kind of fcuker I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I have this as well- the things that make me feel particularly sick are the same as some of you have said, mainly the hulls of large ships and the idea of a whale swimming beneath me. Submarines also, especially if you see one on TV breaking up through ice (double ick- the submarine itself and the idea of the underside of the ice!). Another big one that nobody's mentioned is dams. Thankfully I don't come across them much in real life but pictures make me feel ill. It's the thought of the watery side...that giant wall disappearing so far down...:eek:

Advertisement