Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not connecting to wireless network

Options
  • 16-04-2008 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Strange problem which is wreaking my head if anybody has any solutions I'd be greatful.
    I have a Netgear wireless router connected to a broadband connection and a pc. All works fine. Have set up the router and security.
    Then there is the Laptop an acer with a usb wirelss adaptor. It can see the network but if I try to connect it won't. I either get a messege saying network not in range or it asks for WPA key but will not connect.
    Have tried the various different security settings.
    If I do ipconfig on the laptop it says "media disconnected". But it can connect to an unsecured network (someone elses).

Anyone any ideas what might be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

i suppose your first port of call is to try connecting without any security...

This issue was dealt with lately - have a gander at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263708

and see if you get anywhere!

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DDrum1234

I have the same issue with a different laptop. I can see the SSID of the router but I get 'Limited or No Connectivity'.

I have the same router, a Netopia 2247NWG with a Dell Inspiron 1721 which has a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

I have tried the following BUT with the same error message each time, 'Limited or No Connectivity to network'.

1. From the DOS prompt: Start->run->cmd then type:

[FONT=&quot]ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

[/FONT]2. Turned off the encryption on the router and renamed the SSID. Rebooted the router. Can see the new SSID but cannot connect to the internet.

3. Changed the default Channel from 6 to Channel 2 on the router and on the laptop using the Dell Wireless Utility. Rebooted both laptop & router.

4. Downloaded the latest firmware version for the router.
    http://www.netopia.com/cgi-bin/procgi.pl/sf/stdform.p

5. The internet works fine when using the PC. DHCP is turned on and works fine for the pc. On the laptop, I changed the settings on the Wireless card '802.11h+d' to BOTH.

6. Uninstalled the Dell Wireless Utility and ticked the option 'Let Windows manage my Wireless connection'.

Why does this laptop does not work with this Netopia router?
    Any suggestions please HELP !!
    Thanks
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

It sounds like you#ve done quite a bit...

I have two suggestions anyway: Try updating the driver for the Wireless on the laptop, whether by going to windowsupdate.com in Internet Explorer, or if that doesn't work, by going back to the manufacturer.

ANother thing you could try is to go to your wireless networks connection config on the laptop, and remove your SSID from the list of preferred networks, forcing the laptop to reconnect to the network from scratch...

D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Make sure your laptop is configured to receive an ip address dynamically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DDrum1234

Hey Thanks Folks for the replies.
    Obtain an IP address is automatic.

I sent an email to Dell Tech Support and they actually rang me back!! :eek:

So the very helpful lady said to change the following settings.
    Start->Run type devmgmt.msc
    Double Click Network Adaptors.
    Right Click on Dell Wireless 1390 Mini Card
    Left click Properties, click Advanced Tab.
    Change the following values:
    Antenna Diversity to AUX
    WZC Channel to match the channel on the router
    IBSS Mode: 802.11b/g Auto

I didn't realize that these settings existed on the network card as well as the router. It's a bit much!
    I will try this over weekend and see if it works.

R

• Advertisement
Advertisement