Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I wonder could anyone help me?

I've just bought a second hand Sony Vaio which has an external wireless card. I've a belkin 54g wireless router at home also.

When I try to connect it's bringing up a message saying the wireless router is no longer in range, even though the signal strength is at it's maximum. It asks me to refresh the list of connections and when I do it still won't allow me to enter my password key bringing up the same message.

When I try to connect to another wireless signal (an eircom one it picks up from somewhere in the apartment block) it gives me the option to enter the password key no problem.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Does it work if you drop the security on the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redeyejedi

To be honest I havn't even tried that, It was late last night when I got home so didn't have a chance to check. I'll give that a go when I get home and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Followiing on from Sherifu, it could be that the driver/windows service pack combo on the VAIO doesn't support the security on your router (Which is probably WPA or WPA2) - your wireless card may only support WEP (which is a less secure form of encryption compared to WPA/WPA2).

Try going to windowsupdate.com and see if it offers any driver updates for your wireless card...failing that, I'm sure Sony have a site you can download drivers to update your wireless card...

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redeyejedi

Thanks for the advice on this. I disabled the security on the router and it worked. Now though it's saying Limited or No Connectivity. It tells me to renew the IP address and when I do, it will not renew. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Is that a repair you're trying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

this could be happening for two reasons:

your router isn't giving out IP addresses over DHCP

or

there's a mismatch between the security settings on the laptop & router...

I reckon the router is giving out IPs as you're using it with other comps, so chances are windows has saved a Preferred Wireless network entry for yuor router with a WEP key set, when you dont have WEP secuiryy switched on a the router end. Try double clicking the wifi icon in the taskabr, and deleting the prefered network entries there...then try connecting again

D

Advertisement