Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

If you're looking to teach adults then any reputable language school will require you to have an EFL qualification - CELTA is the most widely recognised but CELT seems to be as valid (however as I said previously it is less well known and you may just need to have some info about it handy). Given your experience you might get by with a weekend course qualification but ... Earlier posts in this thred go into detail on the different courses.

Essentially you want to work for a school which expects you to be trained for the job in hand. They are more likely to be professional and treat you as one.

Teaching adult non-native speakers requires a different approach to secondary teaching in an English-speaking country and you'll feel more confident, be more efficient if you've done a course.

Where in Italy are you hoping to go ? I taught in Milan and Vicenza province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

Ta See Ye! it's for my mum, I'm just trying to collate some advice and tips for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Smythy1987

Hey,

All of ye're posts have been really helpful so far, but i still need a few more bits of advice..
    Ok so im 20 and have a commerce degree from NUI Galway and am considering a TEFL course or something 2 that effect.. Basically i want 2 be able to work and travel in the likes of south korea/china etc and am wondering exactly which course i should go for that is creditable/recognised and would enable me to teach all age groups..
    Thanks,
    Smythy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mark1981

Hi, I'm planning to get a qualification to teach English in Dublin and I was looking for some advice as to which school I should pick to get my TEFL certificate. I was told the Emerald Cultural Institute is a renowned English language school in Dublin, however I couldn't find any info regarding TELF courses on their website http://www.eci.ie

Does anybody here know whether Emerald provides TEFL courses?

Thanks a mill!

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Hi there..Just came across this thread!!

I am looking into doing some study and gaining qualifications in Teaching English as a second language!! I have actually 4 years teaching practice already abroad..but would like to add some meat to my C.V!

I was intending on doing the 120 hour Course with 'i to i' for just under €800 but I have a few reservations..

The main problem I see is the ACELS (governing body of Teaching English in Ireland) doesn't recognise this course. What exactly are the courses that they recognise?? CELT is one I think. Is this course recognised in foreign countries...including Non English Speaking ones?

I don't really intend teaching in Ireland anyway..so am I better off going with the i to i course? I have also the CELTA course in mind...but that focuses mainly on adult learners.. and would be extra hassle to complete. The 120 hour Course would suit me better but will it be worth the investment??

So what do people think is the best course out there for someone in my situation..

Cheers for reading and the help in advance!!

• Advertisement

saram wrote: »
    So what do people think is the best course out there for someone in my situation..
    What is your situation exactly ? Are you looking to teach children ? (You suggest the adult focus of the CELTA is a minus point) In language schools or within state education ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Hi,

I want to do the Post-grad in Primay school teaching next year, and I think doing a TEFL would help to get experience of a classroom.

I checked the Acels website, and there seemed to be a fair few places that do the Celt course.

Could anyone recommend a school, or how I would choose a school? Im at a loss as to how to go about it! Im living in South Dublin.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anitaf

Hi just stumbled on this thread and i too was wondering which course would suit best, CELT OR CELTA, have choosen CELTA but unsure which location, International House, Dublin – CELTA (Cambridge ESOL), or The Language Centre of Ireland in Kildare st, Dublin, apparently they are the only two in Dublin offering CELTA according to the CELTA website. Price wise not much of a difference however you do get off early on fri's with one. Has anybody completed the CELTA course in any of the above, would be delighted with some feed back. Cheers!

While waiting for other replies :
    Both courses will cover the same areas - both will give you the same qualification. So I would seriously go with the one which suits you best with regard to dates, price and timetable. The course is INTENSIVE so anything which might make your life easier - shorter commute for example - should be considered. We have just adopted a late start on Wednesday mornings for the courses I work on and it really does seem to lighten the load so knowing you have an early finish or late start one day would be a plus point for that course in my book.

(I've just finished doing a CELTA course here in Paris and a couple of the trainees came to us rather than our competitor just because the dates suited them better.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheDudeAbides

How about teaching English *without* a TEFL/CELTA/etc qualification?
    You know, just go out there (wherever there might be) and just do it.

I'm buggering off outa here quite soon and I'm thinking that being able to teach English on the side might be a nice earner. What I'm wondering about is whether it's really worth my while going to all that stress, hassle and expense of doing a course here when all I need to do when I finally get settled is stick up a few flyers and have a few one-to-ones for cash in hand. I don't want to make a career out of it, just have something up my sleeve, especially if things get tight and I need an auxiliary hustle.

My motto is always work for oneself whenever and wherever possible. I'd rather that than work for some "English School" who don't always have the best reputations. From what I've been reading, and it seems to be universal, is that the majority of them are shamelessly for-profit organisations who deliver a lacklustre service and treat their teachers like crap. You can also pretty much forget about any permanent position or fixed income because there's always a fresh supply of tourists/travellers/backpackers and students trying to earn a few measely bucks before they move on. This is how I understand it from the feedback I've gotten from other forums, articles & reseach.

How many of you have/are, or know of somebody who has or is, teaching English completely outside the TEFL system, who are basically getting cash in hand for helping a few people learn English in their home. It's not exactly a far fetched notion, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

How ?

How do you intend to "just do it"?

What materials are you going to use ? How are you going to assess the level of your learners ? How are you going to meet their needs ? How are you going to explain the difference between "we're opening a factory in Thailand next year" and "we're going to open a factory in Thailand next year" ?

In short, what are you offering to justify taking people's money ? How would what you propose differ from the schools which "are shamelessly for-profit" and "deliver a lacklustre service" ?

By all means work for yourself but at least do a weekend course so you don't do us all a disservice - teaching without any training is akin to doing the plumbing without any training; true you're not going to actually kill anyone but ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

My motto is always work for oneself whenever and wherever possible. I'd rather that than work for some "English School" who don't always have the best reputations. From what I've been reading, and it seems to be universal, is that the majority of them are shamelessly for-profit organisations who deliver a lacklustre service and treat their teachers like crap.

Unlike you who despite not being bothered to train to teach will have a stellar reputation as a teacher, and desite using phrases like "auxiliary hustle" and "cash in hand" will be doing it purely for the love of teaching the language compared with those pesky shamlessly for profit language schools?

You couldn't make this stuff up!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheDudeAbides

Oh yeah, here we go... I forgot how pedantic boards can be sometimes. :rolleyes:

Powerhouse: Thanks a million for your helpful comments. Nothing I love more than asking a straight question and getting smartarse replies from sarcastic nerds.

When I use the word "hustle" I don't mean it in the Snoop Dog sense, I mean it in the if my partner or I get made redundant sense and I need something on the side to bring in some cash to make ends meet.

If I wanted to just make fast bucks there are much easier and quicker ways than teaching English.

See Ye:
    To be honest, training doesn't necessarily equate ability but I do have experience. I used to teach IT training classes, it's not much of a difference really; formulating lesson plans, devising exercises, grading and evaluating progress, etc, etc. It's not like I'm just diving in without any experience or idea of what teaching entails. Besides I'm currently learning a second language off a native speaker and I'm happy with my progress to date, never cared to see any "credentials" from the guy.

My point is a lot of people simply don't have the time, money or need to enroll in a full-time course when what they really want is to have somebody teach them what they want to know. It was the same with IT training; I found the majority of people didn't want to bother with doing an entire ECDL course and simply wanted to know how to do X, Y and Z so I'd go to their house and show them. There was far more demand for it that way, my clients learned to do what they wanted to learn to do, with confidence, and everyone was happier at the end of the day. That's I'm talking about.

So, I'll try again and ask the same straight question - has anyone ever just gone out there (wherever there might be) and just taught English to pick up a few quid? Without doing the whole TEFL course route. Yes or no?

Which is the best accreditation for someone looking to travel throughout Europe (Spain, Portugal, etc)? I'm not really looking to teach full time, but I reckon it'd be a nice idea to have an English teaching qualification in my back pocket as a sort of plan B. Only thing is I've got no college degree so I'd really want to make sure the accreditation is worth the paper it's printed on. (I kinda figured the online or 40-hour ones were ****e but anyway, thanks for clearing it up)

Have any of you any advice for me?
    What's changed since this post when you were looking for a course ?

Yes, lots of people have just gone to non-English speaking countries and taught English. Yes, some have even been employed by the schools with low standards you mentioned earlier however there are few, if any, schools left like that in the countires you mention. More and more people are being provided with language training by their employers and thus there is less scope for freelance teachers.

Look in the "working" section of any Lonley Planet type book from the 80s & 90s they'll suggest you can just pick up work in bars or teaching English. Look now and even they now admit you need to have a qualification.

As I've said in an earlier post I'm a CELTA trainer - I have seen people with previous teaching experience (University lecturers, primary school teachers, people who have provided on the job training for new colleagues etc.) have a great deal of difficulty transferring their skills to teaching English - as often as not those who have never stood up in front of a class before have an easier time of it.

Secondly may I ask about your current language learning ? What language does your teacher give you instructions in ? What language are the grammar rules explained in ?

These days people very very rarely learn English with anything other in mind than improving their job prospects and as such want to see a "return on investment" pretty quickly and are more demanding of their teachers. With your IT experience you certainly have "added" value but I still think you should do a weekend course at least.

To put it a different way TheDudeAbides, can you see anything wrong with the logic of the following ... I've been teaching English for 15 years and I use a computer every day so I'm going to start teaching IT; charging people to share my insights and knowledge.

The fact that I'm adding to my reply as soon as I woke up should indicate how strongly I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi, Im a nurse & have never thought before. But would really like to travel. Which course is the best & the most recognised for me to go ahead travel & teach? Theres so many being mentioned here I don't know which one to go for...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

I'm sure students would never have thought they would be taught by someone who couldn't spell!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'm sure students would never have thought they would be taught by someone who couldn't spell!

Did you really sign up just to post that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I recently had an amazing time in China and frankly my eyes have been opened to another life and another way of living and have decided I want to go back full time.
    I'd like to go back to Guangzhou as a TEFL teacher.
    Has anyone here any tips as to CELTA or other qualification i should pursue? I work in a full time job right now so the full time four week CELTA course is going to be difficult to do.
    Would a regular on-line or weekend course suffice initially to get me there and get a Z visa?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was accepted onto the CELTA course only this week. It starts next month though i've yet to confirm whether or not I will be registering. The interview made me rethik whether or not I can do it. I've got 2 degrees so most of the theory and class work I don't imagine I'd have a problem with. My problem is the having to teach on the very first day for 40 minutes while being observed by a teacher and the other trainees. I had imagined that the teaching practice would have come in the second week rather than day one. I've given presentations and spoken in tutorials and such before, but i'm not the most comfortable at it when it's such a situation, although I'm sure left to my own devices with the class I'd be able to teach them fine. I told them i'd let them know tomorrow and still no closer to making a decision either way.

• Advertisement

Hello, Ponster told me about your question, I hope I'm not to late to help.

On a CELTA course you have to be observed teaching for a total of 6 hours - harsh though it seems the best way to do this really is to jump in from day one or two. Otherwise it's like learning to drive from a book .. you can only really "get it" when you're in a car.

The good news is that each lesson is observed against the standard "for this stage of the course". In essence each lesson is judged against what you should know from the input sessions with your tutors not what you will know by the end of the course.

On our courses in Paris you, the trainees, are left alone with the learners for an hour on day one to get to know them a little and gauge their level, you then observe the tutors teaching for an hour. Observed teaching starts on day two. You're not going to find anywhere which delays teaching until further into the course.

Having your colleagues at the back of the room can actually create a supportive atmosphere and the tutor might also be able to step in if a learner floors you with a question.

Between you and I some centres tell little white lies too - about what happens on day one - so trainees arrive in a pro-active frame of mind. Similarly in the interview we do tend to focus on the stress / intensive aspect of the course / how much is required of you how quickly .. this is simply because some candidates do find it difficult to keep up with the workload, get stressed etc. and we have a moral obligation to tell people what they are letting themselves in for.

"I've got 2 degrees so most of the theory and class work I don't imagine I'd have a problem with."
    A word of warning if I may - don't presume. It's not necessarily a very "academic" course; there's little time for background reading for example. The written assignments are designed both to test and help you see how you apply the theory. On a daily basis most of the work will be thinking about and planning your lessons. I say this not as an insult to your intellect but simply because I have seen some people have a hard time adapt when they were expecting more "book learning" if you will.

Any more questions let me know.

EmerBaggott & Supercell I can't really say anything other than to sift through the first page or two of this thread - as far as I know the CELT is not available outside Ireland. You can find "extensive" CELTA courses but they're a lot less common than the 4-week intensive version.

Hmm, thanks for the reply, a lot to think about still. I contacted them and asked for more time to think about it. I'm still no closer to making a decision unfortunately. Still got the fear which is just blocking me. I still believe I'd do better when observing or doing things on my own as it's the way I've done things most succesfully. I may have to decline, do one of the lesser, ie. rubbish (though i've heard good things about one in maynooth and know some who've gained employment and another who is now a teacher full time) ones. Do that get some experience abroad and come back and take it up another time once that fear is gone from experience. I've gone and bought most of the books too!!

there is a part time CELTA course in the place where I have applied. think its over 8-10 weeks. monday and tuesday evenings, and you'd need some days off work to observe teaching i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi, where can u do the part-time course?

international house on camden street. They are the only place that does it as far as I know and where I was sent. There is a fairly simple test on the application, then a similar one after that along with a short interview. If you email them theyll send you the info you need.

http://www.ihdublin.com/ihdublin/Main/Home.htm

Weepsie wrote: »
    Hmm, thanks for the reply, a lot to think about still. I contacted them and asked for more time to think about it. I'm still no closer to making a decision unfortunately. Still got the fear which is just blocking me. I still believe I'd do better when observing or doing things on my own as it's the way I've done things most succesfully. I may have to decline, do one of the lesser, ie. rubbish (though i've heard good things about one in maynooth and know some who've gained employment and another who is now a teacher full time) ones. Do that get some experience abroad and come back and take it up another time once that fear is gone from experience. I've gone and bought most of the books too!!
    Don't put off doing the course because of nerves, please. Personally I'd be more worried about standing up in front of a group of learners as an unqualified teacher trying to get experience than in the "safe" environment of CELTA where everyone wants you to do well. Let me reiterate that each lesson is judged in relation to where you are in the course - thus a lesson which is deemed "to standard" in week 2 might not be to standard in week 3 but your first lessons will be judged as what they are .. the first EFL lessons you've ever taught.
    As I mentioned in my first contribution to this thread I'm a CELTA tutor and I can tell you that

- you will not be the only one suffering from nerves during observations - I've seen people I've thought were going to burst a vessel so flushed were they, I've worried someone was never going to pause for breath, I've sympathised with someone who had to wear black to hide the sweat patches, somone who cried before and after every class for the first two weeks ... As tutors we are aware of the human aspect - anything said in observation feedback is never a personal attack, the aim is to show you how to improve.

- there's rarely any feeling of competition between trainees. You are judged in relation to yourself and how well you are using the techniques seen in the tutor led sessions. Not to mention that you learn a lot from seeing others try different things to a greater or lesser degree of success.

- your learners are probably getting the cheapest English lessons on the market and should be aware that you are having training which makes them more forgiving and less demanding than the average.

- some people on the course have taught before, others not. Any advantage those with experience have, usually limited to their ease in front of learners, is cancelled out by the end of the first week. OTOH they may find it difficult to shake off bad habits (some of the less successful trainees I've seen are those coming in from other teaching backgrounds and finding it hard to adapt).

- having fellow trainees in the room means that you have a friendly face who can signal to you if you've misspelt something on the board or are about to run out of time.

I forgot to mention earlier that altho' you have to be observed teaching for six hours you also have to observe qualified teachers for a total of six hours - which sounds as if it would suit your learning style.

You can't escape being observed, it is part of the job. Once you've gone through the CELTA style observation the rest is a piece of cake. Out in the real world some employers ask you to teach a sample lesson as part of the recruitment process, any decent language school should observe new teachers within a week or so of taking them on and any teacher at least once a year.

Go back to the driving analogy .. you'd rather read a book on how to drive then go out on to the roads with no guidance to get used to it before taking lessons ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

See Ye wrote: »
    "I've got 2 degrees so most of the theory and class work I don't imagine I'd have a problem with."
    A word of warning if I may - don't presume. It's not necessarily a very "academic" course; there's little time for background reading for example. The written assignments are designed both to test and help you see how you apply the theory. On a daily basis most of the work will be thinking about and planning your lessons. I say this not as an insult to your intellect but simply because I have seen some people have a hard time adapt when they were expecting more "book learning" if you will.

I am currently studying for a CELT course and could not agree more with this. I would be quite "academic" in the sense that I am quite good at writing academic papers and the rest, but this is a different challenge completely. It is a help not to be the type that blanks when you have to write stuff but this is all about practical application, and I'd say the longer it takes a person to absorb that lesson the more difficulty they will be in.

The general consensus among the group is that everyone underestimated the intensity and workload. Someone going into this needs to realise that 130 hours is close enough to the same contact time for the entire academic year that you'd have for a subject in a two-subject Arts degree. Imagine that condensed into 12 or 16 weeks or whatever, then consider that it is real personal contact time where you are required to be there, and you have observation and TP as well. And that's before you get to the written assignments.

I think that because you have these (clearly laughable) weekend courses which purport to train teachers, it is easy to get the impression that it is a handy option of a course. It is not to be underestimated, and that's coming from someone who studied English (not necessarily much of an advantage either) in university.

I'll try to take all this on board, though I'm still no closer yet. I may appear to underestimate the work load, but in my head im not I think. I'm aware that i'll not be seeing too many people too often for the next 7 weeks and I've shown similar commitment before, though as you'll point out it will be quite different.

I think the driving analogy is a good one, but for me it would be different. Ease into (the teching that is). Many people who drive for the first time won't leave their estates/road they live on and build it up until the confidence is their. Even if there was a pre course thing i could do I would.

• Advertisement

after all my indecisiveness i decided yesterday to accept the spot. I rang up, got put through to the course supervisors answering machine and got disconnected! think it was my phone!

Advertisement