Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The world financial crisis,I just want to understand

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dimitri wrote: »
    In what way?

There's a point where building new factories or mobilising the workforce doesn't produce very good returns. When you hit this wall, and it very much is a wall, things slow down and this can be a fundamental shift in an economy and a very hard test for any country economically, socially and culturally. When times are good it's easy to hold a disparate and tense nation together, when things are bad, it ain't so easy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I was under the illusion it was far greater than this but in saying that i hadn't seen any figures to support that opinion.
    I'd hazard a guess in saying that a lot of people would be fooled by media coverage of families killing female children in favour of males. It's usually best to find some figures and make up your own view from them.
    Dimitri wrote:
    I'm gratly interested in how the future growth of both countries will be affected by their respective political regimes. Is there anything worth reading on the this that goes a bit deeper into it?
    Well book wise I'd say there are a certainly a few dealing with China and its economic rise. "The Chinese Economy: Transitions and Growth" by Barry Naughton (MIT press) gives a solid historic chartering of economic progress from 1949 onwards (and before 1949).

Areas like Market transition, Patterns of growth and development, Chinese Rural and Urban Economies, China and integration into the 'World Economy', the financial system and the author's view of China's future. Thats just one book but I'm sure there are some other great ones on the subject.

I don't know enough about China's political system to advise on a book for that. Naughton's book deals with the 5 year plans which are trademarks of Soviet Leninist/Marxism regimes but nothing too deep into the political structure of China. You might want to take a look at the politics forum for that.

My knowledge of India is limited but I'm sure you would find books on the subject in Hodges Figgis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm gratly interested in how the future growth of both countries will be affected by their respective political regimes. Is there anything worth reading on the this that goes a bit deeper into it?
    UCD_Econ wrote: »
    I don't know enough about China's political system to advise on a book for that.

China's history and politics is far more interesting to me than India's. To that end I recommend Will Hutton's The Writing on the Wall. It's a feckin' steal at $6 from Amazon.

Haven't read about India's transition prospects in any depth.

Advertisement