Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastal Erosion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'd agree with ilgatto on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

il gatto wrote: »
    Accepted by sections of the scientific community, rejected by others. Same with the general populace. Sure hasn't Ireland clamped down on lightbulbs? We've done our part:D Don't get me wrong. Pollution is bad. That's a given. But until climate change is proven, and I mean properly, to be affected by human activity, then I don't care to waste my time worrying about it. the proof is scanty, misleadingly reported and involves endless "models", guesswork and unsubstantiated predictions of doom. Just the way I read it.

I have to say, I agree with this too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Xiney wrote: »
    Climate Change is an accepted fact amongst 99% of Climatologists - ie the people who'd know what they're talking about.

However, prediction of the future is an inaccurate science which is why you've been given the wrong impression that "models" aren't accurate. We don't know HOW BAD it's going to get. We just know it's bad and getting worse.

I would expect climate change is accepted by 100% of climatologists, if they do know what they're talking about. However, I would like to know how many believe human activity is responsible, and then the percentage who can present unassailable evidence of such. That's the issue. The climate is changing, but is that a natural cyclical process rather than resulting from anything people can change?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

is there any scientific evidence that human activity is NOT responsible for climate change:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

That's a rhetorical question, surely?

• Advertisement

dardevle wrote: »
    is there any scientific evidence that human activity is NOT responsible for climate change:confused:

I can't see the relevance of the above

There's no evidence to prove that I didn't shoot JFK, but that doesnt mean I'm gulity?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

il gatto wrote: »
    I would expect climate change is accepted by 100% of climatologists, if they do know what they're talking about.

Once a certain amount of them agree on climate change someone will have to start trying to refute it in order to get funding and to stand out from the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

But in Ireland we are being penalised big time and always told we should be leading the way all the time...

The main culprits the USA and China are not only getting off scot free but snubbing their noses at us.

In reality, even if everyone in the NW does everything, how much are we going to offset against the big two's problems. We need to be seeing our government lecturing others rather than always lecturing us so they look good at these treaties and summits.

I have no problem doing my bit and we all should but we are lets face it facing a lost cause worldwide, but paying the penalities both financially and environmentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Photos as promised.

Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside.

Anyways, you see the path, well that was put in by the council last year, and it was right up against the dunes.

Big change in a year.

But in Ireland we are being penalised big time and always told we should be leading the way all the time...

The main culprits the USA and China are not only getting off scot free but snubbing their noses at us.

In reality, even if everyone in the NW does everything, how much are we going to offset against the big two's problems. We need to be seeing our government lecturing others rather than always lecturing us so they look good at these treaties and summits.

I have no problem doing my bit and we all should but we are lets face it facing a lost cause worldwide, but paying the penalities both financially and environmentally.

Ireland and Britain (and possibly other countries) are exporting a massive amount of waste to China...so we really can't tell them to clean up their act until we've cleaned ours...

• Advertisement

to the left of the path there is 150 meters of rock armour that was placed in front of the dunes during the winter,seems the golf club are a little worried by coastal erosion too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

dardevle wrote: »
    to the left of the path there is 150 meters of rock armour that was placed in front of the dunes during the winter,seems the golf club are a little worried by coastal erosion too!

Yes, it was in connection with this, that I was there and saw it for my own eyes.

Culchie wrote: »
    Yes, it was in connection with this, that I was there and saw it for my own eyes.

Tommy Tiernan's first stand up show springs to mind........ THE WORLD IS F*CKED! THE WORLD IS F*CKED!!!!!!!!:D

Tommy T must be lovin this thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carl-sagan

So... if we're overdue for an ICE age... and the planet is WARMING overall...

Surely it's worse than we thought?

Honestly the attitude towards climate change in Ireland is surprising. It's accepted fact everywhere but the States, I thought. (And the States doesn't put much stock into Science, as we all know...)

Narrow unenlightened European chauvinism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

basquille wrote: »
    Culchie, there's someone on the phone for you:

phone-conferencing-security-1.jpg

.. it's Al Gore.

I hate that F**ker!

Climate Change is an accepted fact amongst 99% of Climatologists - ie the people who'd know what they're talking about.

99% Prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Prove that it's not.

You weren't listening to the last word yesterday evening by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

me? nope - I haven't really gotten the hang of Irish radio.

• Advertisement

Just because something is proved wrong doesn't make the opposite right.
    Climate change is here,
    Its cold today and warm tomorrow - climate change. I personally thing that man made pollution destroying the planet is a the greatest hoodwink ever. How is it that this never happened back in the industrial revolution when all that was used was fossil fuels, and inefficently at that.

me? nope - I haven't really gotten the hang of Irish radio.

:confused: what is there to know about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

You weren't listening to the last word yesterday evening by any chance?

Who was on? I'd heard there was going to be an anti-global warming person on but I missed it.

sobriquet wrote: »
    Who was on? I'd heard there was going to be an anti-global warming person on but I missed it.

Some chap from the house of lords. He pointed out that a lot of what we are hearing about global warming is way over hyped, that the warming of the last quarter century hasn't continued in the past eight years, and other stuff like that. I don't think he was anti-global warming so much as anti-the people who evangelise about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Some chap from the house of lords.
    That'll be Nigel Lawson then. He has some good points about biofuels and carbon trading, but coverage I've seen of his book hasn't been great.
    I don't think he was anti-global warming so much as anti-the people who evangelise about it.
    Yeah, but anti-anthropogenic-global-warming-advocacy isn't as catchy.

Thats the chap. We could call it anti-white man's burden part 2, at least thats what I call it.

global temp up .5 of a degree from 1975 till 2000 with no increase since 2000. Nasa have a satilite that measures temp and since it's been up no rise has been recorded.

Costal erosion is a constant process like all forms of erosion that fact that the point is showing signs of erosion is no surprise would be a hell of a lot more unusual if there wasn't any.

The only constant in regards to climate is change its an ever changing constant dynamic of the earth and with coupled with the above facts leads me to think you're been lied to as to the extant of human envolvment in Global Warming.

Is Lawson Nigellas Dad?

Advertisement