Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport to the Gathering

Options
  • 07-04-2008 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

being as the gathering is nearly upon us ,i was talking to a few people on saturday about various plans to get to G-TAC for the weeekend event,
    so if anyone has a car and a free seat +room for gear can you post only if you willing to take somebody -in the format below

Name-joe bb
    Space for-2
    traveling from-dublin southside
    overnight or daytrip-day

*those offered who do get lifts please make a contribution to the cost of fuel if you are getting a lift ,people shouldnt have to ask*

please can we not make this a discussion and keep to topic ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I mentioned an idea like this before, but have been busy with new acquisitions, thanks for putting it up gat.

I think its important to be able to also put up requests, but as gat said, to keep banter to a minimum.

Ok,

I need a lift, Im going for the full weekend,

I can meet in Trim Co.Meath or City Centre Dublin,

I'll be on my own with two aegs and one bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I also need a lift going full weekend

Can meet in Dublin city centre, or Galway train station depending on situation

On my own with one large-ish bag

I like Lethals idea lol \/\/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, just thought of something:

CONVOY:D G-TAC isn't exactly the middle of the universe, kinda the opposite. People are bound to get lost(cough, rabbit, cough). So why not get all the dubs to meet somewhere on the way out and follow either A, somebody with a decent GPS or B, somebody who's been before. Would also look damn cool arriving. Any thoughts on this welcome.

Lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

what about hireing a bus from dublin?

I like the bus idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or you could "train-surf" on the back of others cars:P

I dunno if you'll get enough for a bus to be worthwhile.

But, my geography sucks, is there a train station nearby? Train + taxi might be a more plausible idea.

Or you could "train-surf" on the back of others cars:P

I dunno if you'll get enough for a bus to be worthwhile.

But, my geography sucks, is there a train station nearby? Train + taxi might be a more plausible idea.

Well I for one am up for bus, or train then taxi.

Train+taxi isn't a bad option it's probably what i'll do if there aint gona be a bus, but portumna is an hour from the city according to google maps

Ok my lift is gone,

Is there any other spare seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I'll be driving over on the Saturday, back on Sunday afternoon. Not sure about lifts yet, could be two seats available for over 16s, I'll be coming from Navan Road, Cabra direction via Kilmainham and then the N4/M4. Room for gear, just about. Petrol contributions welcome :)

No promises just yet though, but I'll take PMs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Ok, just thought of something:

CONVOY:D G-TAC isn't exactly the middle of the universe, kinda the opposite. People are bound to get lost(cough, rabbit, cough). So why not get all the dubs to meet somewhere on the way out and follow either A, somebody with a decent GPS or B, somebody who's been before. Would also look damn cool arriving. Any thoughts on this welcome.

Lethal.

that gives me an idea!
    talk to you on irc about it

kevteljeur wrote: »
    I'll be driving over on the Saturday, back on Sunday afternoon. Not sure about lifts yet, could be two seats available for over 16s, I'll be coming from Navan Road, Cabra direction via Kilmainham and then the N4/M4. Room for gear, just about. Petrol contributions welcome :)

No promises just yet though, but I'll take PMs.

Ok, I've got one already, I realised it'll be good to have company on the way over to G-Tac (Sharing fuel costs doesn't hurt either ;) ), else I'll be a lunatic by the time I get there. So, one more seat for an over-16 along that route? Heading off at 12, bring a packed lunch, no smoking in the car, and no barking at pedestrians please!

I sorted a lift with Defender Dude so i'm grand now (Thanks again!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

If anyone is in need from limerick area then give me a shout either here or via pm, ive got 1-2 free seats depending on gear, that is to say with me and snipersights gear there is 2 free seats, but if one person has full loadout then there'll be 1 seat, if their only carrying the very basics there'll be 2 seats:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

If anyone else needs a lift - please just drop a line.

I'm leaving Newbridge about 1 to 2'ish on Saturday, going down the N7 by Portlaoise, Roscrea, Birr and Portumna.

Comming back on Sunday evening after the war. :p

I've booked monday off work to recover:D

So far it's just Zero and myself, so there's space for 2 more. (well with all the gear it may be 1 more but 2 if really needed!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Should have a bus from Trim Co.Meath price depends on numbers.
    (full weekend only) Details to follow.

Jimbobak47 wrote: »
    Should have a bus from Trim Co.Meath price depends on numbers.
    (full weekend only) Details to follow.

I may take this if its reasonably priced, otherwise I'll take the lift I've been offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

For those travelling up on Saturday we should organise a convoy.
    Those involved will need Comms :D
    Gatling wrote:
    00:42 < Gatling> every car should have a radio ,breaker breaker ,this big bob we got fuzz on our six, over

If you wanna join the convoy it'll be meeting on the main M4 just off the M50 i guess.

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    For those travelling up on Saturday we should organise a convoy.
    Those involved will need Comms :D

If you wanna join the convoy it'll be meeting on the main M4 just off the M50 i guess.

Any time in particular, or would we be using the Force to sense a good time to join?

• Advertisement

Dr_Pepper wrote: »

I've organised to give a lift to 2 geezers, and I was thinking about heading off from Navan Road/Cabra at 12 (which would put us on the M4 at about 12.30 or so). I'm wary of the 'wait 10 more minutes' syndrome, which would see us kicking off at about 1.20 if we waited too much.

I have to study the routes more carefully but I think the M4 will be more direct. And earlier will be better, Moate will be a disaster by early afternoon on my experience a few weeks ago :(

Edit: Doesn't seem to be a huge difference at all. If more people are going by the M7, then it'll be same odds to us. I'll see if we can leave earlier, but I'd say that route will take 3 and half hours? No speed-limit breaking crazy-ass driving from me, that's for certain. I suggest a food/pee stop enroute too please.

The chaps I'm giving lifts to, please PM your complaints on this suggestion to me please, especially if you don't like anyone else or if you think you'll be in a hurry to get there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

I have to study the routes more carefully but I think the M4 will be more direct. And earlier will be better, Moate will be a disaster by early afternoon on my experience a few weeks ago :(

Kev, I live in Edenderry which is about an hours drive from the site itself. Personally, I wouldn't go as far as Moate if I were you. I know it might look quicker, but it ain't....trust me. If you guys like, I'm going to be driving myself and Gatling to the site. I can meet you in Kilbeggan and head for Ferbane, Banagher and Eyrecourt. I haven't gone that way myself yet, but it would be a hell of a lot quicker.

sci-ops

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭cpb

The trip from the Red cow roundabout to G tac should take no more than 2.5 hours if you follow the route posted by defenderdude see above. Also at the second exit for Portlaoise you will find the midway Hotel and attached to that is a foodcourt for refreshments and toilets. G tac is about 1hour 10mins from there depending on traffic in Mountrath on a Sat afternoon should not be too bad.

sci-ops wrote: »
    Kev, I live in Edenderry which is about an hours drive from the site itself. Personally, I wouldn't go as far as Moate if I were you. I know it might look quicker, but it ain't....trust me. If you guys like, I'm going to be driving myself and Gatling to the site. I can meet you in Kilbeggan and head for Ferbane, Banagher and Eyrecourt. I haven't gone that way myself yet, but it would be a hell of a lot quicker.

sci-ops

I'll take a look later on and see, but how many people are interested in this convoy idea? If we're on for it, I'll check with my hitchers about timing, and I'll PM all the drivers involved my mobile number.

cpb wrote: »
    The trip from the Red cow roundabout to G tac should take no more than 2.5 hours if you follow the route posted by defenderdude see above. Also at the second exit for Portlaoise you will find the midway Hotel and attached to that is a foodcourt for refreshments and toilets. G tac is about 1hour 10mins from there depending on traffic in Mountrath on a Sat afternoon should not be too bad.

All sounds good to me - 2.5 hours is with or without food and pee stop? And so what time would we be meeting up at the Dublin end - maybe I'll leave that to you Dr Pepper, you shouted first, it's your baby so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭cpb

All sounds good to me - 2.5 hours is with or without food and pee stop? And so what time would we be meeting up at the Dublin end - maybe I'll leave that to you Dr Pepper, you shouted first, it's your baby so ;)

2.5 hours without stopping and without getting lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Both M4 and M7 look like fairly round a bout ways of getting there.

Kevteljeur, I'm at your mercy on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

It has come to my attention that a convoy = driving slow for other stupid drivers and since im a mad driver who loves the speed im gonna pass.
    nah im just kidding but i will pass on the convoy.

Crikey. Ok, I'm out too then. Lads who are getting a lift with me, fear not! We'll make our own plan and make good time. Pee stop still stands.

sci-ops: I think it might be tricky to co-ordinate that, I'm going to put my faith in my GPS and my reasonable navigation skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

BREAKER BREAKER this is GATLING 1 COME IN OVER -

might be and idea for those who havent been to GTAC by car pm sci-ops or defenderdude and get there phone numbers ,and arrange to call them on saturday if your unsure of the directions or your gps sends your a little off course,

WE GOT SMOKEY INBOUND ,YEEEEE HAAAAA peddle to metal boys

• Advertisement

*Cue banjo* What will them airsoft boys get up to next? lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement