Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are The Best Hurls?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

just interested to know. what exactly makes a hurl a good one? Gone to the same hurly maker all my life so never really have tried any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

deadybai wrote: »
    just interested to know. what exactly makes a hurl a good one? Gone to the same hurly maker all my life so never really have tried any others.

There's no such thing. It all comes down to personal preference. Fellas have one all ireland's with many different types of hurleys. Find one you like, and/or try a few different ones until you find the right one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UpTheDubs98

Does anyone know of a decent hurley maker who can ship to London? The only way for me to get decent ones over here is to come back during me holliers and drive for hours to Kilkenny or Tipperary, but to be honest, I can't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Does anyone know of a decent hurley maker who can ship to London? The only way for me to get decent ones over here is to come back during me holliers and drive for hours to Kilkenny or Tipperary, but to be honest, I can't be arsed.

Have you any idea of hurley makers you have bought from in the past. Some of them nowadays have there own website and can order online.

Alternatively Handcrafthurleys.com acts as a middle man for alot of hurley makers but looks to be €15 for delivery to England and €25-€30 for the hurley depending on size.

Maybe have a browse of Handcraft hurleys site and when you find a maker that interests you, then go and google them and see if they have there own site and if its cheaper buy direct.

Personally I like Peter Flanagan(Waterford). Buying through Handcraft, its €27(34 inch) for the hurley and €15 delivery but if you go direct to his own site, its €24 for the hurley and €9 to deliver to London. Grips and hoops cost a few quid extra.

http://www.handcrafthurleys.com/
    http://www.peterflanaganhurleymaker.com/

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

tvercetti wrote: »
    Have you any idea of hurley makers you have bought from in the past. Some of them nowadays have there own website and can order online.

Alternatively Handcrafthurleys.com acts as a middle man for alot of hurley makers but looks to be €15 for delivery to England and €25-€30 for the hurley depending on size.

Maybe have a browse of Handcraft hurleys site and when you find a maker that interests you, then go and google them and see if they have there own site and if its cheaper buy direct.

Personally I like Peter Flanagan(Waterford). Buying through Handcraft, its €27(34 inch) for the hurley and €15 delivery but if you go direct to his own site, its €24 for the hurley and €9 to deliver to London. Grips and hoops cost a few quid extra.

http://www.handcrafthurleys.com/
    http://www.peterflanaganhurleymaker.com/

Don't buy them through handcraft - lot of people have ordered but not received - Peter Flanagan had it up on facebook not to order through Handcrafthuleys, and that they were trying to get their part off the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Don't buy them through handcraft - lot of people have ordered but not received - Peter Flanagan had it up on facebook not to order through Handcrafthuleys, and that they were trying to get their part off the site

Not surprised to hear that, my club has had a few dealings with Handcraft and hes a disaster. I hadn't realised others had similar experiences. Great business idea and exactly what the poster is looking for but run by a cowboy.

Has anyone ordered from Bourkesports.ie? They make hurls for several intercounty hurlers it seems, Bonnar and Padraic Maher to name but a few.

And has anyone ordered from O'Brien?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Has anyone ordered from Bourkesports.ie? They make hurls for several intercounty hurlers it seems, Bonnar and Padraic Maher to name but a few.

Are you sure they make hurleys for Padraic Maher...?

Well at least his style of hurl, but they definitely make hurls for Liam Rushe, John McGrath, [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Declan Hannon and Brendan Maher because they've pictures of them using them on their page and [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Richie Hogan picking one up[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] in the shop.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Submara wrote: »
    Philip Larkin is based in Moyleen, Loughrea which is just out on the old Dublin Road before the turn for Portumna. He charges €25 a stick. His hurls are not the usual Galway style and have a square bas with a curved heel.

Paddy O'Dea in Ardrahan is still making hurls and he never stopped either. He still makes the best hurl in Galway and probably Ireland. He also charges €25 a stick.

Tom Joe Larkin who is a brother of Philip also makes hurls in Killimor. His hurls are also excellent and he has changed the shape of his bas and made it wider. TJ's hurls are €22 each.

All three men are very hospitable and will help with any small details.

O'Dea in Ardrahan, best hurls ive used by long way and most lads I know round Galway would be of same opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Think they supply him with the fake tan too...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Best hurl I've used over the years is Scullion hurls in loughiel co antrim. Think Joe scullion started off making them in the 80's and the son took over

physioman wrote: »
    Best hurl I've used over the years is Scullion hurls in loughiel co antrim. Think Joe scullion started off making them in the 80's and the son took over

Aye Scullion are decent but I've always felt his 'light' hurls are too heavy and the bas is quite small, especially around the 32-3" mark where a lot of seniors are starting to like a shorter hurl but a larger bas - there are a few munster hurleymakers who make better hurls e.g. Bourke in Borrisoleigh.

All the Dublin hurleymakers are useless compared to the culchies it must be said.

Anyone bought any hurls from Neary Hurls in Kickam St, Kilkenny? Their hurls are all handmade, but they don't seem to be well known - surprising considering their family connection to Dowling Stars...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Patvw

Hi my son is hurling crazy and I was wondering what makes a good hurl he is u14 and takes frees for his club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

Patvw wrote: »
    Hi my son is hurling crazy and I was wondering what makes a good hurl he is u14 and takes frees for his club

One that he likes the feel off. No such thing as a bad hurl if the lad holding it likes it. I've seen lads with sticks from Elverys play great stuff with a hurl some lads would turn their nose up at. My advice would be to keep it short and fairly light. Most young lads like a hurl that are way too long because they get a big long strike when they connect properly once in 5. The reality is that these days the need to strike long is very limited (under pressure in your backline or long range frees). Using a long hurl to cater for these 3 or 4 occasions in a game sacrifices the 90% of stuff that's short and requires control.

Heavy hurls are slow and young lads get in the habit of swinging it with their arms due to the weight rather than moving the hurl with their wrists. If it was me I'd have him get a hurl that's slightly off the ground when hes holding it at full length and he should be able to extend it out at full length in front of him and tilt it up to 90 degrees and back down towards the ground using only his wrist without any strain at all. To me thats more important than brand, grain or Bos shape.

Advertisement