Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Sligo People

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

There was the guy for whom Staten Island was named after.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

There was the guy for whom Staten Island was named after.

Em, ...
    Staaten is a Dutch name; the Dutch were the first Europeans to settle in New York City. They named it Staaten Eylandt, after the Staten Generaal, the Dutch Parliament. That literally translates to, "State's Island."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_Staten_Island_get_its_name#ixzz27xqxAMhG

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Em, ...
    Staaten is a Dutch name; the Dutch were the first Europeans to settle in New York City. They named it Staaten Eylandt, after the Staten Generaal, the Dutch Parliament. That literally translates to, "State's Island."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_Staten_Island_get_its_name#ixzz27xqxAMhG

Incorrect, there was a young Sligo man whom travelled with Dutch traders to New Amsterdam while the area was still a Dutch colony.
    I don't have the time to elaborate right now as I'm on the phone but can do so later if necessary?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Incorrect, there was a young Sligo man whom travelled with Dutch traders to New Amsterdam while the area was still a Dutch colony.
    I don't have the time to elaborate right now as I'm on the phone but can do so later if necessary?

:)

Go for it, I'd love to hear it, with citations/evidence of course. :) And before anyone asks, here's my reference for my explanation:
    • Staten Island Historian, official website for Staten Island History; "First sighted by Giovanni da Verrazano in 1524, the Island remained mostly populated by the Raritans and Unamis Indians until about 1630 when the Dutch attempted to establish settlements there. Called Staaten Eylandt by the Dutch,"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

all sligo gaa players are famous :O

• Advertisement
Advertisement