Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People in car parks!

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys, this is my first post but I felt I needed to rant somewhere!
    I bought a 03 DC5 three weeks ago. Went to the gym Tuesday with it and parked in the near empty car park. When I came out there was a stripe of red paint on the drivers door where someone had backed into my car.
    I got the paint off the door but there are now two small dents in the door. All I can see when I look at my car now is these f**king dents. I'm so pissed off! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, my personal pet peeve!! Ignorant idiots, you have my sympathies. My own car is immaculate apart from two marks on the passenger door... caused by plonkers in carparks. No matter where you park, it'll happen! I also got a particularly bad dent on my door last year and I got in touch with a Dent Magic guy, €60 and he did an amazing job. Dent gone. Only works if the paint isn't cracked though.

I find it helps prevention if you park in an end space (i.e. not between 2 cars), thereby halving the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lani wrote: »
    I bought a 03 DC5 three weeks ago. Went to the gym Tuesday with it and parked in the near empty car park. When I came out there was a stripe of red paint on the drivers door where someone had backed into my car.
    I got the paint off the door but there are now two small dents in the door. All I can see when I look at my car now is these f**king dents. I'm so pissed off! :mad:

I know the feeling OP has happened to me before and wasnt happy and my car wasnt as good or new. There is a little device you can get to pull pull out dents. it may work but if there is a crease in the dent it wont as far as i know.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SINGLE-DENT-PULLER-GLASS-CARRIER-LIFTER-SUCTION-CUP_W0QQitemZ190196228327QQihZ009QQcategoryZ30923QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lani

My boyfriend brought it to a panel beater this evening. He said there's nothing much he could do with it! I don't know why people can't be more careful!
    My boss had his 08 mondeo for 3 days. Went for lunch and when he came out half his bumper was squashed in. The car next to him had also been damaged. Luckily a witness had left their number as she had seen a woman back into both cars and drive away!
    I hate to say it, me being female and everything, but I think women drivers are much more prone to this than men!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

If you can, post a picture of the dents to give us an idea of how bad they are. There are lots of dent removal services that can get rid of alot of dents. They may be able to do something and are not very expensive.

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

My sympathies lani nothing worse!!

If i go to tescos etc i always park as far away form anyone as i can,usually in an end space,parking beside 4X4s,SUVs etc is no no!!! it amazes me the amount of nice cars you see parked in between other cars where the potential is always there!!

I met a guy i know shopping in tesco one day in one of the aisles,and i pointed this out to him as i'd seen his mint MK1 GTI parked outside between two cars!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

nothing worse - same thing happened to me:mad:

did you check if there were any security cams in the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I have a car that spent 7 years in England without a blemish. Within 4 months of it being here there are two car park dents, one of them is fairly bad. In my opinion the majority of people have little respect for there own A-B machine so theres little point in expecting the decency to not bang off your car.

Want bugs me imencely is the inherent need for people to park beside another car. I always park as far away as posible from other cars in a car park but there always seems to be another driver that wants to park in the spot next to me about a foot away from my door. Taking into account there could be 20+ spaces around my car why park beside the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Its a nightmare! try drive out of a showroom in a 1 year old car... go to liffey valley in a ncie shiney car only to come back and find the paint scratched bare :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: oh i wasn't a happy camper that day. Immaculate finish destroyed. needed respray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Its a terrible feeling. I had my car parked in college a few weeks ago, and came out to find the back right lights smashed, and nice little scrape a few inches under it as well. lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think women drivers are much more prone to this than men!!!

They are. A leading German women's magazine caused outrage when they suggested women should carry a dustpan and handbrush in their car to clean up after "supermarket mishaps". Women are 10 times more likely to hit a stationary object. Contrary to popular belief they actually have more accidents than men.

You are a traitor to your sex though........
    Youtube : possibly the worst ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Oh jesus, the damage caused to me, parking in car parks
    1) 08 van scratch 5inches long on front bumper. (not caused by me!)
    2) my car 05 side dented and scraped and back door in a car park, as well as the paint on the mirror scraped off by a door being opened all these happened in a couple of months of getting the car

My aunt had a horrible time when she first got her x3 in 05, went into do shopping came out and back bumper had being practically ripped off, got it fixed month later same car park, exact same thing only this time the person left there number to get it fixed so they could pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

VeVeX wrote: »
    I have a car that spent 7 years in England without a blemish.

Then you are obviously in the minority. My own car has been dented in the Lion Yard car park in Cambridge. I've had a white car leave some of it's paint on my car when it was parked in the Market Yard car park in Bury St Edmunds.

Ironically, I never had a single mark on my car when I parked it in Ireland and I regularly parked in Liffey Valley and Blanch Shopping centres, Jervis Street Car Park, the side of the road in Clonmel and Cahir...

I was lucky in Ireland, unlucky so far in England. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I work in a supermarket so know how you feel OP! Im on my first car and its only a crappy punto thankfully but after a week of working there i just use 2 parking places and park in the middle or use single line parking places! I got about 5 door hits and 1 scratch in my first week. Really does wreck my head! When I get my new car im going to do the same and park under cameras as often as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Anyone else think that there's a sense in these people that says "If they can afford that nice car they can afford to get it fixed" when it comes up higher end cars? And then "sure it's only a banger anyway, no point in getting myself into trouble" when it's not? Either way they justify driving off.

I remember one Saturday morning a few years back I was playing a football match at my local sports club at the time when a woman absolutely smashed one of the guys cars knocking the rear bumper right off. She had to circle the car park to get out and a couple of us got to the exit before she did and stopped her (the guy who's car she hit happened to be a garda - bad luck!). The funny thing about it was she couldn't have been a nicer lady, was genuinely very ashamed by the fact that she had driven off and said that she just paniced when it happened. Still pissed the guy off no end, and I don't know how far he took it but I'd say she'd think twice about doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

I can't believe they took her handbag out first :D and she walks off like it happens everyday :D

We have always affixed tow bars to our cars, in the hope that if someone bumps us they suffer the most damage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Is it not the case in France that they take the word bumper literally and use them for parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I park my DC5 into those spots that have a path or wall to the back and/or to the left so as to avoid any carpark knocks..
    I find that if you park in a more open space that people tend to park in beside you for some reason(with loads of empty spaces around)...Its always someone who swings in, mis-judges, scrapes the car and moves to another spot.. Ive also been known to take up 2 spaces in the work carpark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I've had my share of problems - scratches on wing and bonnet where I think some kid stepped onto the car whilst climbing down a wall for example. More significently my car was broken into over X-mas while parked on the street. Over a grands worth of damage.

However...

Despite this and even though my car spends half it's life in carparks - train station/shopping centres etc., I honestly don't believe things are half as bad as most posters here are suggesting. Even at 50,000 miles/over 3 years hard use my car has few marks, certainly not enough to get wound up over.

There seems to be an assumption amongst a certain sub-species who are obsessed with spending their free time washing, waxing and polishing their cars that their vehicles should somehow be immune to the rough-and-tumble of daily life. Fact is over a 15-20000 mile year a car is gonna pick up a few tiny marks - stone chippings, car parks, tiny accidents etc. It ain't some concours exhibition piece (http://autopia.org/forum/car-show-concours/19321-show-car-vs-concours-car.html)

Even when my car was broken into i didn't whinge half as much as most here seem to be doing over what, in most cases, sound pretty insignificent marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I've had it done to me when I was sitting in the car. Bloke refused to accept resposibility saying it was there already. Needless to say he drove off, leaving me unable to exact revenge.

Just a small point on dent repairs, if its small enough you can get these suction things that pop the dent out. They sell them in the likes of Woodies, possibly Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

pburns wrote: »
    I've had my share of problems - scratches on wing and bonnet where I think some kid stepped onto the car whilst climbing down a wall for example. More significently my car was broken into over X-mas while parked on the street. Over a grands worth of damage.

However...

Despite this and even though my car spends half it's life in carparks - train station/shopping centres etc., I honestly don't believe things are half as bad as most posters here are suggesting. Even at 50,000 miles/over 3 years hard use my car has few marks, certainly not enough to get wound up over.

There seems to be an assumption amongst a certain sub-species who are obsessed with spending their free time washing, waxing and polishing their cars that their vehicles should somehow be immune to the rough-and-tumble of daily life. Fact is over a 15-20000 mile year a car is gonna pick up a few tiny marks - stone chippings, car parks, tiny accidents etc. It ain't some concours exhibition piece (http://autopia.org/forum/car-show-concours/19321-show-car-vs-concours-car.html)

Even when my car was broken into i didn't whinge half as much as most here seem to be doing over what, in most cases, sound pretty insignificent marks.

You're going to be popular round here!

I don't think people are complaining about the rough and tumble of daily life. I would completely accept that accidents happen etc, what most people are complaining about is the fact that people seem to think that it's acceptable to just drive away as if nothing happened having damaged a car in a car park. I would expect anyone who damages any of my property to inform me about it and offer to repair it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

For future reference..

park across 2 spaces, like this;
    http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4319/carparklh8.jpg

sure people might call you an idiot or whatever, but they're not the ones getting their car ddneted and damaged. that helps a fair bit anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ClioV6 wrote: »
    For future reference..

sure people might call you an idiot or whatever, but they're not the ones getting their car ddneted and damaged. that helps a fair bit anyway!

You ARE an idiot if you deliberately park like that. I pray you don't drive with the same care and attention to the needs of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

pburns wrote: »

However...

A lot of sense there, but at the same time its pretty hard to swallow the "don't give a damn" attitude some people have towards others property. I know every car will suffer stone chips and the odd wear-and-tear mark, but its the ones inflicted by careless idiots that always bug me most. The odd scuff or scrape is much easier to live with if you inflict it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

You ARE an idiot if you deliberately park like that. I pray you don't drive with the same care and attention to the needs of others.

I park my car like that every time I use it in shopping centres, after having to get my two doors resprayed because of people smacking their own car doors and shopping trolleys off it. Id much prefer to have people call me an idiot and keep my €500 in my arse pocket in future.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    For future reference..

You are unbelievable and don't deserve a driving licence.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I park my car like that every time I use it in shopping centres, after having to get my two doors resprayed because of people smacking their own car doors and shopping trolleys off it. Id much prefer to have people call me an idiot and keep my €500 in my arse pocket in future.

People like you are the problem with the roads in this country.
    What the hell is your problem?

You are the equivalent to the person who stopped in the middle of a roundabout last week during rush hour to give way to cars coming onto the roundabout. After about 10 cars started blowing at her she deliberately moves on going as slow as possible to cause disruption to the driver behind.

If I saw your car parked like that I'd love to scratch it (and very much enjoy doing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well arent you the scum of the earth then :mad:

who do you think you are scratching cars!!!!!!!!

i am furious reading this, people shouldnt take two spaces, but they shouldnt have been forced into it by the ignorance of others

Cyrus wrote: »
    well arent you the scum of the earth then :mad:

who do you think you are scratching cars!!!!!!!!

i am furious reading this, people shouldnt take two spaces, but they shouldnt have been forced into it by the ignorance of others

I'm not actually really because I was only messing :D

I'd love to do it though and certainly think they deserve it.....taking two spaces like that...the cheeky fuc**n pri*ks.

There more than idiots as one has suggested.

Posts updated to reflect reality....as rage has now died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

even if the park is empty

i havent done it but starting to think about it, stop dopes parking beside me when there is no need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Your an asshole aswell. People like you are the problem with the roads in this country.

You are the equivalent to the person who stopped in the middle of a roundabout last week during rush hour to give way to cars coming onto the roundabout. After about 10 cars started blowing at her she deliberately moves on going as slow as possible to cause disruption to the driver behind.

If I saw your car parked like that I'd love to scratch it (and very much enjoy doing it).

Enough of the abuse!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement