Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tv On The Move

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I know its probably been raised before, but I couldn't believe it when I read the first report in Autoexpress, that any sane person could be so dangerously irresponsible, as to try and watch TV / DVD while driving a car. However I have since seen a F**kin W**ker do it, while travelling in traffic in Dublin.

Follow up report from Autoexpress:
    A television screen fitted into the dashboard has become a popular aftermarket accessory. When it's linked to a DVD-playing head unit, occupants can watch the latest Hollywood blockbusters. In some luxury models from the likes of BMW, Mercedes or Land Rover, there’s even a built-in TV tuner for watching live shows.
    But all these systems are supposed to work only when the car is stationary. Most are wired to the handbrake, so an image will not appear on the screen unless the anchors are on.
    As we revealed in Issue 909, that can be easily over-ridden – and even high-profile installers such as Halfords will do it for you. We spoke to the store in Scunthorpe, North Lincs, for our original feature, and were told having the screen active at all times wouldn’t be a problem. We phoned the same branch again to see what had changed. The answer is: nothing. “We’re not really meant to, and you’d have to speak to one of the fitters, but we can show you how to do it,” said the salesman. He also confessed he had a screen in his car and that it would work on the move.
    Halfords’ director of retail operations Andy Torrance said: “Following Auto Express’s mystery shop in 2006, we immediately addressed the issue, reiterating to all our accredited fitters the importance of ensuring all dash-fitted DVD products should always have the parking brake cable connected. We were therefore extremely disappointed to learn that one of our technical fitters has since given the incorrect advice, and are
    taking the matter extremely seriously. We will be reiterating the importance of adhering to our guidelines, as have always been clearly stated in all internal training materials.”
    There’s still a host of Internet operators who will do the same job. Duncan Vernon, road safety manager at accident prevention organisation RoSPA, said part of the problem was a legal loophole. He explained the current legislation covers only old-style ‘cathode ray’ screens in vehicles, rather than modern plasma or LCD versions, so enforcing the law might be difficult. Ultimately, however, he said it was a common-sense issue. Vernon added: “We would urge drivers not to seek to have front-of-car screens activated for use while their vehicle is moving.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Where does this leave sat nav devices? Same principle applies whether its tv or sat nav.

I have a sat nav in my car and even though I try to just use audible commands when there are a few turns in close proximity you have to look at the screen to see which one.

I guess my point is that you referred to some "w**nker" you saw the other day driving with a tv in his car, Im guessing you were close enough to make it out as a tv in comparison to a sat nav, but from any distance you would be hard pressed to distinguish between the two and in my book they both have the same effect on the person driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

What if passengers want to watch it, while the driver keeps his eye on the road? There are many distractions in a car, but if the driver fails to concentrate anyway weather there is a DVD player/sat nav in the car or not they will be a danger to other road users.

Exactly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

astraboy wrote: »
    What if passengers want to watch it, while the driver keeps his eye on the road? There are many distractions in a car, but if the driver fails to concentrate anyway weather there is a DVD player/sat nav in the car or not they will be a danger to other road users.

Yes, but isn't there an onus of common sense to try to cut down as much as possible the possible distractions a driver could be subject to ? The theory that a driver should be able to concentrate no matter what is going on is good only to a point, and then the realities of human nature start to become an issue whether we like it or not, no matter how perfect at concentrating we might claim to be.

Next people will be claiming that the delivery driver who veered across at me in this morning while frantically shuffling his way through his delivery dockets should be able to read his dockets and drive at the same time if he has perfect concentration :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't think you can really compare glancing at a Sat Nav with watching an episode of Lost in fairness.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    I don't think you can really compare glancing at a Sat Nav with watching an episode of Lost in fairness.

your sentence just summed it up there really, "glancing" at satnav and "watching" an episode of tv, if you "watch" a hot girl at a bus stop whilst driving, your gonna crash, if you glance, you just might make it :)

So to go back to an earlier posters point, it depends on the drivers actions and how responsible the driver is with whatever distractions occur, be it sat nav, tv, hot girl etc...

tw0nk wrote: »
    your sentence just summed it up there really, "glancing" at satnav and "watching" an episode of tv...
    +1 .A satnav is akin to a road sign or instrument on your dash, it has positive purpose to guide you to where you are going, and does not unreasonably compromise safety if used and sited properly (not in the middle of your critcial field of vision), it only requires occassional glances. TV/DVD in the dash on the other hand.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Im guessing you were close enough to make it out as a tv in comparison to a sat nav, but from any distance you would be hard pressed to distinguish between the two.

It was definitly a TV / DVD he was using as I saw the credits scroll up the screen, I was siting in a higher vehicle behind him in traffic. As for Sat Nav. it is meant as adriver aid, not a distraction. However I really don't see a need for it either unless you are travelling somewhere you have never been before. I prefer to use a map and have a good idea where I'm going before hand, (call me old school) but it works fine for me.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Im guessing you were close enough to make it out as a tv in comparison to a sat nav, but from any distance you would be hard pressed to distinguish between the two.

It was definitly a TV / DVD he was using as I saw the credits scroll up the screen, I was siting in a higher vehicle behind him in traffic. As for Sat Nav. it is meant as adriver aid, not a distraction. However I really don't see a need for it either unless you are travelling somewhere you have never been before. I prefer to use a map and have a good idea where I'm going before hand, (call me old school) but it works fine for me.

Yes, IMO sat nav should be used in conjunction with some knowledge of your route from consulting a map, as it not 100% reliable, and can sometimes try to bring you the sillyest route instead of the best route, after all it just an electronic gizmo. Mine once tryed to lead me up an overgrown canal path. It can also confuse placenames in one place to a similiar named place elsewhere.

No technology is perfect. The internal combuston engine is over a century old and we still have'nt got it 100% right!

Anyway, RE the TV thing, no a person should not be watching TV in their car unless its stationery. But if the car is moving, and a front seat passanger is watching while the driver pays attention to the road, it would not bother me. If the guy was clearly distarcted by it, or screaming kids in the back, or looking at work dockets instead of the road, then and only then would I have issue.

I'm not too gone on people picking their noses in their cars either but once it does'nt effect their driving who am I to judge? People are awful worried about what everyone else is doing these days, look after yourself and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I know its probably been raised before, but I couldn't believe it when I read the first report in Autoexpress, that any sane person could be so dangerously irresponsible, as to try and watch TV / DVD while driving a car. However I have since seen a F**kin W**ker do it, while travelling in traffic in Dublin.

Follow up report from Autoexpress:
    A television screen fitted into the dashboard has become a popular aftermarket accessory. When it's linked to a DVD-playing head unit, occupants can watch the latest Hollywood blockbusters. In some luxury models from the likes of BMW, Mercedes or Land Rover, there’s even a built-in TV tuner for watching live shows.
    But all these systems are supposed to work only when the car is stationary. Most are wired to the handbrake, so an image will not appear on the screen unless the anchors are on.
    As we revealed in Issue 909, that can be easily over-ridden – and even high-profile installers such as Halfords will do it for you. We spoke to the store in Scunthorpe, North Lincs, for our original feature, and were told having the screen active at all times wouldn’t be a problem. We phoned the same branch again to see what had changed. The answer is: nothing. “We’re not really meant to, and you’d have to speak to one of the fitters, but we can show you how to do it,” said the salesman. He also confessed he had a screen in his car and that it would work on the move.
    Halfords’ director of retail operations Andy Torrance said: “Following Auto Express’s mystery shop in 2006, we immediately addressed the issue, reiterating to all our accredited fitters the importance of ensuring all dash-fitted DVD products should always have the parking brake cable connected. We were therefore extremely disappointed to learn that one of our technical fitters has since given the incorrect advice, and are
    taking the matter extremely seriously. We will be reiterating the importance of adhering to our guidelines, as have always been clearly stated in all internal training materials.”
    There’s still a host of Internet operators who will do the same job. Duncan Vernon, road safety manager at accident prevention organisation RoSPA, said part of the problem was a legal loophole. He explained the current legislation covers only old-style ‘cathode ray’ screens in vehicles, rather than modern plasma or LCD versions, so enforcing the law might be difficult. Ultimately, however, he said it was a common-sense issue. Vernon added: “We would urge drivers not to seek to have front-of-car screens activated for use while their vehicle is moving.”

Where was this F**king W**ker driving, just asking as I was on a certain southside Dublin bypass last Friday evening and I was stuck in traffic on this road, when a gob****e beeped and gave abusive signals to me cause I had my in-dash dvd player on, if he'd looked close enough he'd see that it was a kids dvd for my daughter in the rear of the car. Also I have been at Garda checkpoints and have had the dvd on and nothing was said, as the garda obviously had sense to see it was for the child, not like the fool on the by-pass.

PS - I don't watch the tv receiver or dvd's while driving, I just mainly use the dvd for playing music, find it better than using/rigging up an ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I couldn't believe it when I read the first report in Autoexpress, that any sane person could be so dangerously irresponsible, as to try and watch TV / DVD while driving a car. However I have since seen a F**kin W**ker do it, while travelling in traffic in Dublin

Shock! Horror! Burn them at the stake!

Oh wait. The car in my sig can do this because I applied a hAcK. I used to watch the 6.1 news when completely stuck in traffic (but moving at about 2MPH average)

Where was this F**king W**ker driving, just asking as I was on a certain southside Dublin bypass last Friday evening and I was stuck in traffic on this road, when a gob****e beeped and gave abusive signals to me cause I had my in-dash dvd player on, if he'd looked close enough he'd see that it was a kids dvd for my daughter in the rear of the car. Also I have been at Garda checkpoints and have had the dvd on and nothing was said, as the garda obviously had sense to see it was for the child, not like the fool on the by-pass.

PS - I don't watch the tv receiver or dvd's while driving, I just mainly use the dvd for playing music, find it better than using/rigging up an ipod.

Your ok, it was awhile ago and he was driving a dark Mitsubishi Gallant, in Santry on the Northside.

However if you read the text from Autoexpress report, it is illegal for these units to work once the handbrake has been disengaged.

So many people here on boards take the high moral ground when it comes to speeding, yet some don't seem to have a problem with stupidly irresponsible actions like watching TV / DVD's, using handheld mobiles, doing makeup etc. while driving, not to mention the fog light issue.

Makes me wonder what sort of drivers they are.

unkel wrote: »
    Shock! Horror! Burn them at the stake!

Oh wait. The car in my sig can do this because I applied a hAcK. I used to watch the 6.1 news when completely stuck in traffic (but moving at about 2MPH average)

What's wrong with listening to the news on the radio, no visual distraction there afterall.

Your ok, it was awhile ago and he was driving a dark Mitsubishi Gallant, in Santry on the Northside.

However if you read the text from Autoexpress report, it is illegal for these units to work once the handbrake has been disengaged.

So many people here on boards take the high moral ground when it comes to speeding, yet some don't seem to have a problem with stupidly irresponsible actions like watching TV / DVD's, using handheld mobiles, doing makeup etc. while driving, not to mention the fog light issue.

Makes me wonder what sort of drivers they are.

Firstly, the Autoexpress article was based on UK law, I doubt its illegal to have a TV operating when one is driving in Ireland. Unncessary and distracting, yes, but illegal no. Secondly, the Autoexpress article is akin to some tabloid sentationalist rubbish, the "won't somebody think of the children" type article attempting to look like they are benifiting society hugely by exposing the evil Halfords for letting people have a TV on when they drive.

As I said, there are plenty of reasons why you may want the TV in dash not connected to your H/B, not least if a passanger wants to watch it. Far too many busybodies and do-gooders worried about what everyone else is up to. Once the person is watching the road when they are on the move I could'nt care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

............I think this was clarified by stating that the law applied to Cathode Ray Tube TV's and applying it to plasma/flat screen could prove problematic.

I think the idea is that the latest factory SatNavs are fitted so they are near the drivers field of vision so he only has to flick his/her eyes to view, rather than move his whole head, rather like a rear view mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MercMad wrote: »
    ............I think this was clarified by stating that the law applied to Cathode Ray Tube TV's and applying it to plasma/flat screen could prove problematic.

I think the idea is that the latest factory SatNavs are fitted so they are near the drivers field of vision so he only has to flick his/her eyes to view, rather than move his whole head, rather like a rear view mirror.

No legislation for cars, AFAIK the gardai will attempt to prosecute for dangerous driving but theres nothing covering TV's in cars.

However you do need a TV license and that covers ANY device capable of recieving TV transmission, including in car TV's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

People are awful worried about what everyone else is doing these days, look after yourself and you'll be fine.

Possibly one of the best sentences ever typed in the motors forum!

Firstly, the Autoexpress article was based on UK law, I doubt its illegal to have a TV operating when one is driving in Ireland. Unncessary and distracting, yes, but illegal no. Secondly, the Autoexpress article is akin to some tabloid sentationalist rubbish, the "won't somebody think of the children" type article attempting to look like they are benifiting society hugely by exposing the evil Halfords for letting people have a TV on when they drive.

As I said, there are plenty of reasons why you may want the TV in dash not connected to your H/B, not least if a passanger wants to watch it. Far too many busybodies and do-gooders worried about what everyone else is up to. Once the person is watching the road when they are on the move I could'nt care less.

I'm amazed by your attitude, as someone who has come on here in the past defending your own personal driving skills and sensible driving, that you can't see the risk involved with having a TV / DVD player on, where it could distract a driver and cause an accident.

As for the law applying to England that may be true, but given that Irish law tends to be fairly close to English law it is probably only a matter of time before there is a similar law here, not soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

There are just too many drivers out there who think they can do anything they like while driving, except pay attention to the road, and having devices like these in cars only encourages this type of retard thinking.

As for Autoexpress, what's your beef there, personally I find it a very good and informative publication.

Have you ever bothered to read it?

I'm amazed by your attitude, as someone who has come on here in the past defending your own personal driving skills and sensible driving, that you can't see the risk involved with having a TV / DVD player on, where it could distract a driver and cause an accident.

As for the law applying to England that may be true, but given that Irish law tends to be fairly close to English law it is probably only a matter of time before there is a similar law here, not soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

There are just too many drivers out there who think they can do anything they like while driving, except pay attention to the road, and having devices like these in cars only encourages this type of retard thinking.

As for Autoexpress, what's your beef there, personally I find it a very good and informative publication.

Have you ever bothered to read it?

Of course I can see the risk. My point is there are plenty of distractions in a car, christmas tree airfreshners, sat nav, radio. Obviously I'm not defending a driver watchint TV while they cruise along the motorway! But there are reasons to have it on, maybe the driver is in stop start traffic and does not want to have to keep turning the TV off and on constantly, a passanger or child might be watching it(as one poster mentioned his daughter watchs a DVD from a dash mounted unit). And for you to come on here saying they should not have them on at all is a bit silly and not looking at the bigger picture IMO.

I used to read auto express in the past and have no issue with it, its a fine magazine but that article smacks of tabloid sensationalist journalism which I have utter distain for.

Again, I'm not defending a driver actually watching the thing as they drive, but when they are stopped or there is another ligit reason to have the TV/DVD player operating while the car is moving then its a non issue. Frankly, unless the driver is driving dangerously or causing other road users hassel its none of my business.

I do believe the distractions in a car should be minimized but its eventually up to each individual driver to decide what works best for them and those travelling in their car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

eoin_s wrote: »
    Agreed.

I could easily get engrossed in watching the Sat Nav, but and an episode of Lost wouldn't hold my attention for more than a few seconds.

Of course I can see the risk. My point is there are plenty of distractions in a car, christmas tree airfreshners, sat nav, radio. Obviously I'm not defending a driver watchint TV while they cruise along the motorway! But there are reasons to have it on, maybe the driver is in stop start traffic and does not want to have to keep turning the TV off and on constantly, a passanger or child might be watching it(as one poster mentioned his daughter watchs a DVD from a dash mounted unit). And for you to come on here saying they should not have them on at all is a bit silly and not looking at the bigger picture IMO.

I used to read auto express in the past and have no issue with it, its a fine magazine but that article smacks of tabloid sensationalist journalism which I have utter distain for.

Again, I'm not defending a driver actually watching the thing as they drive, but when they are stopped or there is another ligit reason to have the TV/DVD player operating while the car is moving then its a non issue. Frankly, unless the driver is driving dangerously or causing other road users hassel its none of my business.

I do believe the distractions in a car should be minimized but its eventually up to each individual driver to decide what works best for them and those travelling in their car.

Can you give me a single ligit reason to have the TV/DVD player operating while the car is moving personally I can't think of one.

As for passengers wanting to watch it (particularly children), get one of the portable units and mount it on the rear of the front driver / passenger seat, absolutely no risk of distraction to the driver then, and even better you can take it out of the car when you want to use it elsewhere.

As for using one in stop start traffic, you could just as easily run someone down who may be crossing through that traffic, (oh hold on they would be Jay Walking) and so would probably deserve to be run over by some idiot watching TV / DVD.

With regard to the law, given that those units fitted by the car manufacturer's are required to turn off, once the handbrake is disengaged, should be enough to prove that it is dangerous to have one operational while the car is moving, don't you think !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Can you give me a single ligit reason to have the TV/DVD player operating while the car is moving personally I can't think of one. As for passengers wanting to watch it

You've answered your own question.

Lidl are doing in-dash DVD players from monday.
    08_14121_b.jpg

JHMEG wrote: »

08_14121_b.jpg

Read on I suggested fitting a portable unit in the rear of the car.

Read on I suggested fitting a portable unit in the rear of the car.
    I did.

White-P, while I normally agree with your posts(esp re road safety and the speeding mullahs that like to tell us how to live) I do slightly disagree with you on this one. I know several people with units like the one above, but they use them to only display sat-nav or radio/CD info while the car is moving, so I suppose that is a ligit reason. I think the passenger one is also ligit. Obviously if the driver can't concentrate on the road with the Screen in the dash, it should be removed, and I agree that back seat units are probably best for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As for passengers wanting to watch it (particularly children), get one of the portable units and mount it on the rear of the front driver / passenger seat, absolutely no risk of distraction to the driver then, and even better you can take it out of the car when you want to use it elsewhere.

Why buy another unit if the car already comes with one?

P.S. I don't have any screen in my car before you ask. :D

Why buy another unit if the car already comes with one?

P.S. I don't have any screen in my car before you ask. :D

The problem typically isn't with factory fitted units as they have the safety feature fitted, unless someone has gone tampering with it. The after market ones tend to by pass the handbrake switch (safety feature).

Personally I just can't understand why anyone would want to watch TV or a DVD while the car is moving. I have a portable unit for my kids but they have never wanted it setup in the car. It's very handy for holidays / hotel breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

JHMEG wrote: »

Caveat emptor! The units are compatible with the UK DTT system and the current trial MPEG2-based DTT system that operates in the Dublin and Louth areas, but when that trial is over, the nationwide DTT system will be based on the newer MPEG4 DTT system and you'd want to check the specs to see that it'll be compatible with that....I'd say not.

• Advertisement

There is no mention of it having a tuner?

Advertisement