Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yes highdef, here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks for that Snowbie. I reckon I was literally under the white part as the hail was amazingly heavy. And the blue sky nearby made it seem even stranger. That cell behind it appears to be mature now and will pass slightly to my west, probably to Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Was under the damn thing myself around Artane.Very heavy hail shower. Working with lots of lovely cables and ESB feeds. I stopped working straight away.:D:D
    Went out towards Howth and the view across the bay towards the South you could see it had grown in size and that system,to the west, that highdef mentioned looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

One of those storms yesterday afternoon had tragic concequences for a Dublin teenager.

My condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I was in Tallaght yesterday watching that storm from the front door.

The hailstones were twice their usual size. It was a particularly bad storm as lightning could be seen while the thunder rolled from previous strike. It was continous for a half hour or so. Only a second from flash to thunder.

• Advertisement

Warning!!! Turn PC sound or any other peripheral sound system you might have, down.

Or if you want to scare the bejaysus outa ye, turn it up* :eek:

*not recommended

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=hORUSzOvUfM&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Now that's a storm! Great clip Snowbie.:) Up close and personnal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

not just the home of good old JR but intense storms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing! Hope never to personally witness anything THAT close! :eek:

Yeah its something else for sure.

There is some embedded CBs in that front across the country atm, could get a rumble out of this in some parts of the north midlands as the doppler returns are showing downpours too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I was in a jeep my mate was driving across Texas when lightning stuck the ground right in front of us. Made him swerve right off the road. We all got a shock when we got out and the front grill had scorch marks on it. Would have loved to capture it on camera. Damn near blinded me.

Moderate CAPE between 300-400j/kg with LI of -2 forecast for tomorrow thursday.
    Wind be from the SSW so north midlands and NI be most at risk from homegrown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Estofex have NI circled in for this evening for prediction of convective storms:
    estofex wrote:
    Northern Ireland

Ahead of the Atlantic trough, a strong mid-level jet curves northward reaching Ireland during the day. At lower levels, weak cyclogenesis is forecast along a frontal boundary moving into Ireland. Ahead of this frontal boundary, a warm and moist air mass is forecast to enter Ireland. Amount of instability seems to be the most critical ingredient for severe convection. Low-level moisture is forecast to be rather rich as dewpoints may reach around 10°C. Mid-level cold air will also be present, but low-level lapse rates may be stable initially given cold sea surface temperature. As a consequence, severe convection may not form even with moderate QG forcing and moderate vertical wind shear. Where strong low-level buoyancy may develop, tornadoes may be possible given favourable vertical wind shear.

Seen some in cloud lightning to the south west of here about 10 mins ago, roughly over the Connemara district, nothing too frequent but was quite vivid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭squonk

Good god!!! That was SCARY!! I'm hoping to never be that close to lightening... EVER!!!

Good god!!! That was SCARY!! I'm hoping to never be that close to lightening... EVER!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

For some reason i prefare this nice pair of sisters. Probably the scenery and isolation of a desert strike that is captured which stands out well.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QXXl5KoJ8&feature=related

When I went to Tombstone, beyond Tuscon, I found storms where mostly mountain based - as in desert mountain based. Violent thunderstorms would literally hang around desert mountain tops - the snow capped peaks were often uneffected - mostly owing to height. However I saw a storm envelope a peak in which the top of the mountain sprung out oblivious to what is going on beneath! An unbelievable lightning storm - at least 20 strikes a minute. We will never see that here - there it is literally normal.

Cb's galore visible here weak enough but building.The have already got those dark grey sharp edged straight line contour on them which is usually a good indication of potential sferics.

Cb's galore visible here weak enough but building.The have already got those dark grey sharp edged straight line contour on them which is usually a good indication of potential sferics.
    They are also trying to build here but dissipating at the same time indicating a dry mid level it appears to the eye. This should move through soon enough though.
    Cape is 600j/kg over the north midlands and west while increasing here in the east to about 400j/kg. Lift(LI) is negative throughout.

• Advertisement

There was a giant enough cb associated with a shower that appeared to develop over Arklow bay in the last hour.It's there on the UKMO radar.

Estofex have the highest risk over "Eastern Ireland" today, so looking good ye're side. Big convetion running to my near north, and continually building to my near east, but likely to miss me due to the strong wsw breeze than is keeping it coastal and utterly boring right over me (despite being 28 miles inland). Not a favoured spot in this of situation. :mad:

The lack of thunder this side is truly notable this year. (one day with a direct hit with a couple days of distant rumbles that I don't count as a thunder day)

I will expect nothing less than double helpings when my turn comes..:D

Those who get them, enjoy, I am with you in spirit!!

On that note Paddy, one more thundery shower with a rumble of course or a storm and it be the most times i have heard thunder in April this decade for seperate events.

Meanwhile a heavy shower has built just to my west and now overhead. Large drops.

An example of the birthing of convection that is to my west north west taken 3 mins ago...

DSC00117.jpg

They are exploding as they move north of me, and a big showers downpour has just broken about 3 miles to my east.

I am missing everything!!:rolleyes:

Pretty sure we had a crack or two of thunder here in Clondalkin, but what we did have just now was a torrential hail shower. Very impressive. The ground is starting to go white!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

squonk wrote: »
    Pretty sure we had a crack or two of thunder here in Clondalkin, but what we did have just now was a torrential hail shower. Very impressive. The ground is starting to go white!

Yep, you did, it passed by us here in Maynooth a while back, heading your way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heard thunder here in the past hour. I see sleet reported in Casement at 14.00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Lots of successively heavier showers moving through N Louth the last hour or so...currently blue skies, but lots more out to the west. I'd say we'll have a rumble or two before sundown...

[edit] Well just heard two close by rumbles. Was going into town earlier to pick someone up...theclouds were amazing, lots of updrafting, even some mammatus going on but by the time I got where I was going and parked, the low level cloud had obscured it, so no pics. Stupid traffic. Lashing rain here TAM too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That was probably the heaviest hail shower I ever witnessed big fookin hailstones, wipers where maxed out. Really hammered down at about 1:45pm

• Advertisement

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    An example of the birthing of convection that is to my west north west taken 3 mins ago...

DSC00117.jpg

They are exploding as they move north of me, and a big showers downpour has just broken about 3 miles to my east.

I am missing everything!!:rolleyes:
    Is it just me or does anyone else see a face in Paddy's anvil above,its like its almost laughing at Paddy as it moves yet again away from him:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement