Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

technical interview for aircraft mechanic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

The ryanair interview is listed as an avionic apprenticeship (b2),im not sure if they want you to do the A and B2 like a few years back or do them all B1/B2,as a B2 theres not a whole lot to stamp in a line environment without the B1,I believe myself these licenses need to be overhauled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I can back up Publius on this one , even go back to the start of the thread and look at how enthusiastic we were, we were still like that for a few months while in there, as things went on, and the more we realized we were being shafted, the more we grew to hate the place.

Me , Publius and another lad were the most enthusiastic(naive)in our class (nerdiest almost), so it kind of hit us hard when we we realized we were being lied to constantly.

We had it particularly bad though...

A: We were told mid-course we "may" have no job when it was presumed we would, surprise surprise we had no job at the end.
    B: The place got quiet so we lost out on a lot of experience
    C: We were being treated like kids because of a huge breakdown in moral between trainees and staff in general.
    D: We were told coming to the end of our course that the people doing the course now would be getting A licenses and we wouldnt. The course they were to do would be the EXACT same. As consolation, they gave us an IAA diary worth 25euro, sound!
    E: Classes straight after we finished were given more small courses, like Fuel Tank entry and human factors again, so for us to work we'd have to pay for all that.

F(more of a general one): The lies that are fed to you while you are the FAS stage are scandalous, I cant really blame the staff there, they werent over sure what was going on either, but overall things tend to be very exaggerated. So if you do start there, take everything they say with a pinch of salt, real sound people , but they just dont want you to lose enthusiasm while your in FAS.

G: At times the trainees were clearly used to 'fill the gaps', i.e. do all the Bullsh1t work so the staff could get on with the real work, that really depends on what station your at though.

H: If they are looking for sheet metallers you're going to have no choice but to be one, if they are looking for mechanics and you want to be a lecky you'll have no choice but to be a mechanic, if they are looking for mechanics and you want to be a sheet metaller you'll have no choice but to be a mechanic.
    You get my point

I: You'll get assigned a bay before going to the hangar, you'll be told it doesnt matter what bay it is , its all the same. But no, one Bay can mean enjoying the course, and another can mean absolute hatred of the course.
    I saw potentially great workers grow to despise it because of the way trainees were being treated , I was lucky, the guys I was working with were sound out.
    Much more but I cant think right now.

In fairness the place has its ups as well, if you are a decent worker you will get the decent jobs on the plane, but if your going down the road of aircraft mechanics, do an apprenticeship in my opinion.

The whole industry is dodgy, what I mean is, people with the love of the job are exploited financially, same goes for piloting, actually its worse for piloting tbh.
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Publius Scipio

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    The problem is about ryanair that they are only taking 4 apprentices, atleast that's what is written in fas website. So the chances of getting it is really low.

Darius, I don't expect you to take my word for it, after all you don't know me from Adam. But please take my advice. Do not do this course. You will be treated like a cnut and you will have nothing to show for it. If you really want to get into the business, wait until you find a real apprenticeship. This course is a joke.

Ziggy doesn't exaggerate when he writes about how keen the three of us were. When I look back, I actually feel embarrassed that we were played by those bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I was planning to apply for shannon aerospace a few months ago, but you are notthe only one who adviced not to. I'm still hopeing air corps will be takeing on apprentices for aircraft mechanics at least next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Badger the witness

Darius, I don't expect you to take my word for it, after all you don't know me from Adam. But please take my advice. Do not do this course. You will be treated like a cnut and you will have nothing to show for it. If you really want to get into the business, wait until you find a real apprenticeship. This course is a joke.

Ziggy doesn't exaggerate when he writes about how keen the three of us were. When I look back, I actually feel embarrassed that we were played by those bastards.

What course is a joke? the ryanair one? do you not mean the shannon aerospace one?

and whats the difference between the licences, A, B1, and B2?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

What course is a joke? the ryanair one? do you not mean the shannon aerospace one?

and whats the difference between the licences, A, B1, and B2?
    thanks

A licence exams are to a lower level and you need less experience to get one.

B1 is mechanical B2 is electrical/avionic.
    These exams are done to a higher standard and five years experience is needed to obtain a licence.

There is also a C licence category which takes longer and requires the company to request this licence from the relevant aviation authority on behalf of an employee.

At least thats my interpretation of how it works, the IAA sometimes change the rules as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

thanks guys for the heads up on the course.
    i applied with air Atlanta aircraft maintenance apprenticeship and i have the aptitude test on july 5th.
    i was just wondering are Shannon aerospace and air Atlanta 1 in the same?
    also if ye had any info on that apprenticeship it would be great. this is the leaflet of the apprenticeship http://www.shannonmro.com/AirAtlanta-Career-1.pdf

thanks
    stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

did the both of them about 6 or 7 years ago,they are different,I found the Air Atlanta one quite easy as a stage of it was very related to the job.

An A license is specific to line maintenance only

A B1/B2 can also require only 3 years experience if you get a training Cert off a Part 147 training organisation,forget about this in Ireland,very unlikely you'll get one and the IAA don't really want them and will just say 5 years

A cat C license is when you have over 5 years certifying as B1 or B2,its an office job going over paperwork and then involves issuing a CRS once all work orders are closed and the aircraft is ready to re enter service,Its a while since i did Air Leg but i think this is exclusive to Base maintenance and who would want to work in an office anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have a C on my licence and I don't work in an office. It means I can certify a base maintenance CRS.
    As I'm on the line, I don't use it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Curley71

Hey Lads, I was following your thread on the Aircraft Apprenticeships. when do you find out if you get through to the next stage for Air Atlanta? Its hard to get through to the interview stage, it seems like alot of lads have qualifications. Got on well with the test yesterday in shannon, keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the one!

• Advertisement

^^^they said early august man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

anyone out there been thru the Air Atlanta Interview before? presume the standard HR Q&A's but how technical do they get??

cheers..... :cool:

Hi 5 wrote: »
    anyone out there been thru the Air Atlanta Interview before? presume the standard HR Q&A's but how technical do they get??

cheers..... :cool:

i had an interview with ryanair 2 weeks ago and the engineer asked me how a jet engine works and how a plane gets off the ground and about flight controls. the other lad asked me what i knew about ryanair so i would presume air atlanta would ask q's along the same line hopw this helps. i have an interview with AA on the 9th of august, does anyone know how many apps they take on.
    thanks
    stephen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

Wow....aint we all just hanging to get the next phase sorted now, IMO, good or bad news will be a relief at this stage!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dohczetec

Anyone on here been through the Air Atlanta interview and practical , how did it go for ya??

Dohczetec wrote: »
    Anyone on here been through the Air Atlanta interview and practical , how did it go for ya??

ya i had it yesterday it was grand the practical was very easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 topconlacj

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 topconlacj

Dohczetec wrote: »
    If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Maintenance technician interview question

Best regards.

Advertisement