Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cous cous - wholemeal versus regular?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm trying to reduce carbs while on this BBBSC (Boards Beach Body Summer Challenge) but I do need some carbs ;)

I like cous cous because it cooks in 3 minutes and I can use it in place of rice. I recently realised that Tesco stock wholemeal cous cous but I'm wondering how much better for me it is going to be than regular cous cous.

Nutrition Data gives me info on cooked cous cous but there is no data for wholemeal cous cous.

I eat porridge and seeds or walnuts every day for breakfast so I get plenty of wholemeal goodness anyway. Anyone know of any benfits to the wholemeal cous cous that justifies me paying the same price for 250 g of it as I would for 500 g of regular cous cous?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Have you ever tried bulgar wheat? Cheap as chips, it's a whoelgrain and it's very similar in taste and preparation to couscous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

g'em wrote: »
    Have you ever tried bulgar wheat? Cheap as chips, it's a whoelgrain and it's very similar in taste and preparation to couscous.

Wow, we really need a <3 'wub' smilie :)
    I've just read about it and gotten some recipes too! Excellent, thanks :)

Tesco bulgar wheat 500g - 72p
    Tesco cous cous 500g - 63p
    Tesco wholemeal cous cous 500g £1.12

So do you have any nutrition data for wholemeal cous cous? Am I better off getting bugar than wholemeal cous cous (apart from financially:D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So do you have any nutrition data for wholemeal cous cous? Am I better off getting bugar than wholemeal cous cous (apart from financially:D).
    I don't tbh, but sure for that price you may as well give the bulgar a try. It tends to have a slightly nuttier, slightly stronger taste than couscous but I love it.

Quinoa is another option.

Advertisement